Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Who would be paying the players come the end of October?

Who would be paying this skeleton staff? 

What other bills do clubs have to pay?

Your club set up a begging bowl crowd funder about 0.2 seconds after the first games were called off and within ten days of a decent money-spinning home game: I'm sure it must have stashed those emergency emergency funds away and not wasted them on signing players instead. Other clubs such as Morton have fan membership schemes: ours is turning over £10k a month to the first team budget with the incentive of achieving ownership of the club next year - those funds could (and IMO) should have been used to deal with the limited costs the club would face by not playing matches instead.

Point being that there are various ways for clubs in the Scottish football sector to gain revenue while shut down: just deciding to start up on a patently unsustainable basis would not earn widespread sympathy if it were a pub or live music venue making that decision.

Edited by vikingTON

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think it interesting that whenever a teaching union attempts to stick up for its members the response seems to always be along the lines of "those poor, poor teachers! /s" rather than "I wish my union would do that for me".

If the EIS was seriously interested in the best interests of its members then it would have screamed blue murder about the full-time schools nonsense that will end up literally killing some of its members rather than kicking off now because their weekend break to a lodge on Loch Lomond is under threat.

Not all union interventions are worthwhile and this one just underlines the warped priorities of its officials throughout the pandemic.

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

That's The National reporting that this proposed circuit-breaker is going to start from Friday. Pubs, restaurants etc. to close altogether.

The EIS have written to Swinney saying that while they're not opposed to the idea of a circuit-breaker they vehemently disagree with it being timed 'coincidentally' to happen at the same time most schools are off, on the grounds that education staff have worked solidly from March, many have booked staycations for the October Holidays, and are now finding out that nothing will be open and we'll be effectively stuck in the hoose for 24 hours a day with nothing to do.

AAWWW poor them.

Pretty sure this won't happen though, possibly night time opening or even an 8pm curfew but I'd be very surprised if the daytime opening of Restaurants / Cafes is in anyway affected.

19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The public (at least how it’s reproduced and represented by the media) are usually reactionary morons and are never going to give a fair hearing in the current climate to union demands. I’d argue that motivating the sector they represent is more important than clinging to the whims of public opinion which will turn on them in an instant.

Exactly.

Look at the SNP boot lickers on here going mental at the Glasgow Council strike not long ago.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s as if they’ve tried to find the way to shaft both the industry and the public as much as possible. Keep hotels open so that public don’t get refunded, but make them close bars and stop alcohol sales to destroy their margins.

Most hotels have a 48 hour cancellation policy, those who have booked for this weekend are gonna get shafted, myself included. Hope there's a kettle in the room for pot noodles.

Just wondering what it is people want to happen ?

Is it a case of fcuk it, herd immunity and open everything up that most are wanting ??

If so, I'm genuinely perplexed as that would be the exact opposite strategy of every other government in Europe / across the world.

In France we have Paris and Marseille effectively closed down, we've got road blocks in Ireland attempting to stop people travelling and there's curfews on the licenced trade across most of Europe and beyond.

So again, what do people want / expect to happen here ????

47 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Shutting the gyms would be totally rubbish but it’s a business that is essentially secure given guaranteed membership revenue so unfortunately it would be an easy thing to add for the Government.

The large chain gyms all froze fees during the first lockdown. 

I expect they will again as it's extremely easy to leave a gym and join another one. 

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Reading that EIS starement I utterly despair - not the best bit of PR if you are trying to win the support of the public for future battles.

Sounds like Italy will be added to the quarantine list tomorrow.

Will you be penning your apology to myself, Marshmallo and others on the flight back?

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Just wondering what it is people want to happen ?

Is it a case of fcuk it, herd immunity and open everything up that most are wanting ??

If so, I'm genuinely perplexed as that would be the exact opposite strategy of every other government in Europe / across the world.

In France we have Paris and Marseille effectively closed down, we've got road blocks in Ireland attempting to stop people travelling and there's curfews on the licenced trade across most of Europe and beyond.

So again, what do people want / expect to happen here ????

Personally, yes, I want to keep things as they are at present but also look at opening up the things that aren’t open at the moment (like football) but keep reinforcing the need for wearing of masks, social distancing and good personal hygiene such as hand washing and use of anti-bacterial gels in public. 

Maybe make concerted efforts to catch and punish people who aren’t following these rules.

I suppose the government aren’t omnipotent. They cant see why so many people are catching it at the moment. However, they seem to be tying themselves in knots trying to ‘do something’. 

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

House parties, student parties will go through the roof. 

Many folk are sick fed up, people who were trying their best to abide by the restrictions will now just say f**k it. 

I'm not seeing this being honest and ultimately it's being done for a reason and not just to annoy people, so if people are willing to break the law for a few pints then they should accept the consequences if and when they're brought to justice.

What next, break drink driving rules as they "felt fine" and don't see a problem ??

That's how anarchy starts.