Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Not seen any mention of gyms in the proposed restrictions but assume they'd be included.  FFS.

Group exercise probably doubt individual excersize will be chucked

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Other people would have holidays at any point they decide to take them...

Really? My employer forced the entire workforce to use up a good chunk of their holidays at the start of lockdown, then told us we had to save our remaining holidays for later in the year when we were expecting "down time". We've not yet been informed that we can start using holidays again and the down time hasn't materialised. We can't be the only workplace like this. 

It's been a shite year, everyone has had to work through a shite period and do very little with any time off they've been afforded. I think it was the working solidly from March thing that annoyed me, as if the majority of the country hasn't been doing just that. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Really? My employer forced the entire workforce to use up a good chunk of their holidays at the start of lockdown, then told us we had to save our remaining holidays for later in the year when we were expecting "down time". We've not yet been informed that we can start using holidays again and the down time hasn't materialised. We can't be the only workplace like this. 

It's been a shite year, everyone has had to work through a shite period and do very little with any time off they've been afforded. I think it was the working solidly from March thing that annoyed me, as if the majority of the country hasn't been doing just that. 

I do get your point to be fair - some people have obviously been treated pretty poorly by their employers. I can see how it could come across poorly to some people, but at the same time they have a strong union and this should be encouraged. If only we all had this! 

i’m not actually a teacher btw, and work also tried to force me to take AL during lockdown to which they were told to f**k off. Our holidays now extended until March. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think it interesting that whenever a teaching union attempts to stick up for its members the response seems to always be along the lines of "those poor, poor teachers! /s" rather than "I wish my union would do that for me".

Joke's on her anyway - I've got a Sub beer machine in the house, so will get absolutely blootered on Friday before going to a "restaurant" for the football on Friday night

My missus mocked me for wasting money on one back in April.

Jokes on her I’m gonna be smashed all weekend on Morreti and Strongbow.

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

They're working to a checklist so you'd be middling. Preferable to a lager lout like me but not as good as someone who sings in a choir and has two weans.

I am a teetotal football fan who #lifts.  I think this makes me a semi-official enemy on the Mallo scale.

I'm struggling to have sympathy for teachers who missed out on their usual summer holiday now missing out on an October week holiday, both holidays that they get every single year whilst every other work place continues on. You've been working solidly since March? Have a pat on the back. You'll be stuck in the hoose with nothing to do? That's a shame, the rest of us are still working. Perhaps I'm being harsh but my initial thought is "dry your eyes".
EDIT - I should add that I don't actually agree with this circuit breaker pish, but I find the crying about teachers having nothing to do whilst they're off a bit of a rid neck. 

I agree that the sympathy towards teachers should be negligible at best. The EIS are just doing what they are expected to do - put out a statement that aims to back their members.

It is of course a bit shit that our holidays are being affected but I feel incredibly blessed that my job, during this crisis and beyond, remains secure and under no threat - which is unfortunately not true for so many.

On a personal level it’s a bit rubbish and yes the last term has been unbelievably challenging, but it’s not something I’d expect any sympathy over. It’s totally shit I won’t be able to take my nearly 3 year old to museums, the zoo and on a proper train journey for the first time (if the restrictions do put a stop to that) and it is equally shit that his 3rd birthday looks like it will be a bit of a downer given the house visit rules, but others have the exact same issues and the main comfort is that I know I have a job to go back to in a couple of weeks.

Shutting the gyms would be totally rubbish but it’s a business that is essentially secure given guaranteed membership revenue so unfortunately it would be an easy thing to add for the Government.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think it interesting that whenever a teaching union attempts to stick up for its members the response seems to always be along the lines of "those poor, poor teachers! /s" rather than "I wish my union would do that for me".

Race to the bottom. 

People think: I've got shit terms so they should too

Rather than: good for them fighting for their rights. We should do that too 

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Your union is quite literally taking the "poor teachers have been working solidly since March, don't take this vacation time away from them" line so it's difficult to take it any other way.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Your union is quite literally taking the "poor teachers have been working solidly since March, don't take this vacation time away from them" line so it's difficult to take it any other way.

I often wonder if the unions PR chaps think before they publish.   Surely you want the public onside.  

This letter/statement makes me shake my head like i'm sure many will.

Stumigoo should get the PR job.

30 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This would genuinely be worse and make me angrier than a full fucking lockdown. Holiday accommodation allowed to stay open, meaning they won’t be forced into refunding people, but everything else closed and you can’t get a drink anywhere on your holiday. Complete fucking joke.

mruGbZ.gif

I often wonder if the unions PR chaps think before they publish.   Surely you want the public onside.  
This letter/statement makes me shake my head like i'm sure many will.
Stumigoo should get the PR job.

The public (at least how it’s reproduced and represented by the media) are usually reactionary morons and are never going to give a fair hearing in the current climate to union demands. I’d argue that motivating the sector they represent is more important than clinging to the whims of public opinion which will turn on them in an instant.