Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

What would be the point of a circuit breaker with the schools open?

I think you've missed the point.

What would be the point of a circuit breaker with the schools open?
That's up for debate, who knows?

I think the point the EIS are making is valid enough though in that all Education staff are being screwed. If a circuit breaker is that important, then it could have been done at any time, rather than when the schools are off anyway.

41 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

the barber told me I didn't have to wear a mask in his shop because it's no real it's made up.  glad someone finally sussed it out we've been worried for nothing all this time

The thing about conspiracies theories like that (and most conspiracies in general actually) is that it suggests the government are far more competent than they really are.  If it's 'no real it's made up' that means that the British government have competently pulled off a massive conspiracy that at the same time has made them look massively incompetent.  They're couldn't even keep manage to keep where Dominic Cummings went a secret! 

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I think you've missed the point.

Just now, scottmcleanscontacts said:

That's up for debate, who knows?

I think the point the EIS are making is valid enough though in that all Education staff are being screwed. If a circuit breaker is that important, then it could have been done at any time, rather than when the schools are off anyway.

I see.

Surely it makes more sense when they would have been off anyway. I know from my job shutting and opening schools isn't that easy (well, the shutting bit is) and it makes sense to do it when they are scheduled to close anyway.

It's a pain in the arse for teachers but they will just have to watch Netflix  or go for a walk near their own homes rather than near a holiday cottage 

Can we please for the last time get away from this idea that Sweden carried on as if nothing was happening, they didn’t, brazil did and they were a disaster. In sweden there is already a much stronger idea of personal space than in the uk and another universe from the touchy feely kissing culture of Southern Europe. They closed down any high risk activity and banned large gatherings. They did not issue a stay at home order, that is the difference. Also Germany closed down more premises than Sweden but they too only advised to stay at home and did not issue an order to be enforced by the police, they too technically had “ no lockdown “ they also handled it better than Sweden, why not mention them more?

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

"It's obviously dependent on the prevalence of the virus decreasing. He is going to come back to us with what that actually looks like, because we need to know what those numbers need to get to before we can allow that just to give everyone clarity."

I wouldn’t want to be basing my clubs future on the whims of the Scottish Government.

The future of lower league clubs should have been based on going into cold storage and running a skeleton staff until fans could get back to games in full, instead of foolishly signing off on a new season after wave 1 of the pandemic, claiming business as usual, chucking two year contracts around and then pleading for the government to relax public health restrictions to bail them out of an entirely self-inflicted mess.

There should be no sympathy for SPFL clubs in this scenario whatsoever and no government support while they try to charge customers for shite streaming packages.

57 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Ah well. nothing to worry about there then. 

There is a whole fucking spectrum of appropriate responses between your shrill, hyperventilating nonsense and being an anti-mask, anti-vac denialist. The refusal of people to tolerate any comparisons between this and the flu simply demonstrates their own sheer ignorance of historic flu epidemics, which disqualifies their outrage immediately.

39 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Those who tout the "Swedish model" never seem to accept that it hinged entirely on people doing what they were asked rather than having to be told. 

Are we seriously suggesting this could have worked here? Iirc for the first week before 'proper' half-arsed lockdown we were asked by Johnson to voluntarily follow measures, and in the main, we didn't. People literally said stuff along the lines of "until Boris tells me I have to I'm not going to." 

We have thousands of people losing their minds at being asked to wear a bit of cloth for 15 minutes, marching in opposition to it ffs, yet these same people are amongst those demanding that we follow a Swedish model during which (masks aside) they would be *asked* to follow some of the same rules that were legally enforced here that they object so strongly to.

Ah yes because Swedes are just more willing to play by the rules *citation needed* than us freedom-loving Brits. Didn't know that you posted on this forum Boris.

Let's bear in mind that this sort of pseudocultural nonsense based on zero hard evidence was also wheeled out by the authorities in arguing against mask use through the entire first wave in the UK, on the grounds that we couldn't possibly be expected to wear them like those compliant east Asian populations. Then they changed the rules and compliance was near-total within a week. How many people were unnecessarily killed as a result of that folly? History will not look kindly on clownshoes Leitch's intervention on that front.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

"It's obviously dependent on the prevalence of the virus decreasing. He is going to come back to us with what that actually looks like, because we need to know what those numbers need to get to before we can allow that just to give everyone clarity."

I wouldn’t want to be basing my clubs future on the whims of the Scottish Government.

We've got Maxwell and Doncaster batting for us. They make Leitch and anyone else from Government look like Einstein.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Todays papers, standard Churchill references aside, carrying stories about how despite hospital numbers being at March levels, patient outcomes are much better this round, and stories about thousands of "world experts" pushing for a strategy of protect the old and let er rip.

The tide is only going one way for compliance IMO. This "circuit breaker" where things actually being closed prevents people using them might well be the last time the government gets widespread compliance with a new measure.

Iv not seen any issues with mask wearing myself, but a few folk at work yesterday seem to be of the opinion that mask wearing is falling away.

On a personal level, heartbreak for me if my birthday Six by Nico booking gets cancelled today. Been looking forward to that for quite a wee while.

VT is right they should have closed down the smaller clubs and helped out the full time players with furlough.
Just keep the grounds ticking over with skeleton crew.
£17-£25 to watch a crashing website.
What other industry would punters put up with this shit?

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Ah yes because Swedes are just more willing to play by the rules *citation needed* than us freedom-loving Brits. Didn't know that you posted on this forum Boris.

Let's bear in mind that this sort of pseudocultural nonsense based on zero hard evidence was also wheeled out by the authorities in arguing against mask use through the entire first wave in the UK, on the grounds that we couldn't possibly be expected to wear them like those compliant east Asian populations. Then they changed the rules and compliance was near-total within a week. How many people were unnecessarily killed as a result of that folly? History will not look kindly on clownshoes Leitch's intervention on that front.

Not what I said at all. I didn't give any motive as to why the swedes behave differently to us. Since you (didn't) ask, imo it's nothing to do with freedom loving, everything to do with a culture of trying to dodge the rules, get one up on authority, and not trusting those in charge to be acting in the best interests of the people rather than themselves. 

Even @Chairman Mao, a vocal proponent of the Swedish model, on being asked nicely to give a name and address at a local pub, instead gave a false name (and jumped straight on here to brag about it) - yet here he is demanding that we follow the Swedish model where you are asked to follow the rules - meanwhile, the only rule he has been asked to follow he is quote happy to boast that he cocked a snook at it.

The only evidence we have of people in the UK being asked not told to follow the advice was iirc just before a sweltering weekend where the majority of the country decided to completely ignore the advice and do what the f**k they pleased. Then lashed out at do-gooder and grasses for spoiling their fun. One week (or so) later, the rules were to become enforceable by law. 

Edited by madwullie

From a friend of a friend yesterday so don't 100% know the accuracy. Suspect it's true though.

From Friday for 16 days pubs shut, restaurants open during the day without alcohol, places of worship shut, visitor attractions shut, no decision on travel restrictions yet. amateur contact sports stopped (5 a side etc.)

45 minutes ago, virginton said:

There is a whole fucking spectrum of appropriate responses between your shrill, hyperventilating nonsense and being an anti-mask, anti-vac denialist. The refusal of people to tolerate any comparisons between this and the flu simply demonstrates their own sheer ignorance of historic flu epidemics, which disqualifies their outrage immediately.

Outrage - shrill, hyperventilating nonsense?  You're a funny guy.  

Not what I said at all. I didn't give any motive as to why the swedes behave differently to us. Since you (didn't) ask, imo it's nothing to do with freedom loving, everything to do with a culture of trying to dodge the rules, get one up on authority, and not trusting those in charge to be acting in the best interests of the people rather than themselves. 
Even [mention=80048]Chairman Mao[/mention], a vocal proponent of the Swedish model, on being asked nicely to give a name and address at a local pub, instead gave a false name (and jumped straight on here to brag about it) - yet here he is demanding that we follow the Swedish model where you are asked to follow the rules - meanwhile, the only rule he has been asked to follow he is quote happy to boast that he cocked a snook at it.
The only evidence we have of people in the UK being asked not told to follow the advice was iirc just before a sweltering weekend where the majority of the country decided to completely ignore the advice and do what the f**k they pleased. Then lashed out at do-gooder and grasses for spoiling their fun. One week (or so) later, the rules were to become enforceable by law. 

There’s just one problem with the evidence you’ve cited there. It quite simply didn’t happen.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Can we please for the last time get away from this idea that Sweden carried on as if nothing was happening, they didn’t, brazil did and they were a disaster. In sweden there is already a much stronger idea of personal space than in the uk and another universe from the touchy feely kissing culture of Southern Europe. They closed down any high risk activity and banned large gatherings. They did not issue a stay at home order, that is the difference. Also Germany closed down more premises than Sweden but they too only advised to stay at home and did not issue an order to be enforced by the police, they too technically had “ no lockdown “ they also handled it better than Sweden, why not mention them more?

Germany shut pubs, restaurants, gyms and all schools. Sweden didn't. 

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Can we please for the last time get away from this idea that Sweden carried on as if nothing was happening, they didn’t, brazil did and they were a disaster...

Sweden may not have carried on completely as usual but they definitely did not have the same lockdown policies as western European countries but still had much the same outcome as many of them on cumulative per capita mortality rates. There are legitimate questions that need to be answered in a rational scientific manner as to why that is. Brazil is a federal system so the president doesn't call the shots on everything. Think you'll find many of the states there did have relatively strict lockdowns. That's certainly what I have been hearing from people I know in Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte. What's interesting is that the one country in Europe that took a vodka and sauna approach and has recently had massive mass demonstrations, i.e. Belarus, hasn't been a special disaster zone in eastern European terms. There are legitimate questions that need to be answered in a rational scientific manner as to why that is.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

That's The National reporting that this proposed circuit-breaker is going to start from Friday. Pubs, restaurants etc. to close altogether.

The EIS have written to Swinney saying that while they're not opposed to the idea of a circuit-breaker they vehemently disagree with it being timed 'coincidentally' to happen at the same time most schools are off, on the grounds that education staff have worked solidly from March, many have booked staycations for the October Holidays, and are now finding out that nothing will be open and we'll be effectively stuck in the hoose for 24 hours a day with nothing to do.

Ah the Unions

Got everyones health at the top of their agenda.

Was there no holidays in April or July or August ?