Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, Snafu said:

That's now 82 people with the virus in two care homes, one in West Lothian and one in Edinburgh. There have been deaths, no numbers yet.

Got this from c4 and the part about the deaths is not confirming if those deaths are in care homes or in those regions without any further information.

According to my MP there are three deaths in the care home in East Whitburn.

3 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Some very great people are saying it.

My encounter earlier did come from someone who back in March shared an anti-lockdown meme thing on Facebook.  It was an interview with the president of Belarus...

20 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Well, my point would be that you can travel to Manchester where it's 350+ per 100,000 but the apparent reasoning for not going to say Poland was because they had seen "a rapid increase", now this is true, if you take going from 26 per 100,000 in mid August to 49 in early October, however for the same time period we have gone from 21 to 175 so as you can probably see, I don't quite understand the science involved here ??

Pragmatism?  Realistically, it's not easy to implement travel bans within the country.  

18 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I just had someone give me the whole “the flu is far more dangerous than this” line. What’s wrong with these people?!

Maybe you are encountering people who have taken the time to do some reading and stayed current and are not still parroting the apocalyptic stuff that was being said on the telly six months ago based on computer modelling that has since turned out to have had severely flawed assumptions? The latest data on IFR suggests that COVID-19 is comparable to an unusually bad flu season on mortality rate in western countries and is nothing like as bad as the "Spanish flu" of 1918.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The latest data on IFR suggests that COVID-19 is comparable to an unusually bad flu season on mortality rate in western countries and nothing like as bad as the "Spanish flu" of 1918.

Ah well. nothing to worry about there then. 

That's The National reporting that this proposed circuit-breaker is going to start from Friday. Pubs, restaurants etc. to close altogether.

The EIS have written to Swinney saying that while they're not opposed to the idea of a circuit-breaker they vehemently disagree with it being timed 'coincidentally' to happen at the same time most schools are off, on the grounds that education staff have worked solidly from March, many have booked staycations for the October Holidays, and are now finding out that nothing will be open and we'll be effectively stuck in the hoose for 24 hours a day with nothing to do.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Which happened in Sweden to an even greater extent than here. Anyone who thinks there was no lockdown in Sweden is deluded, the only difference is they didn't need the same extent of legal enforcement for them to obey. High schools and colleges were closed and any pubs and restaurants that didn't enforce strict social distancing were shut down. They exceeded the death toll of all their Scandinavian neighbours put together, and their GDP fell by roughly the same, without any significant increase in herd immunity. I get bored of having to repeat this.

Here are the per capita cumulative mortality curves for a wide range of European countries:

1280px-COVID-19-Europe-selection-relativ

There are legitimate questions to be answered as to why Sweden is comparable to Spain, Italy, UK, Netherlands and Belgium on this plot despite adopting significantly different approaches to the lockdown issue. One thing most of these countries have in common compared to certain other European countries is messing up big time where care homes were concerned.

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's The National reporting that this proposed circuit-breaker is going to start from Friday. Pubs, restaurants etc. to close altogether.

The EIS have written to Swinney saying that while they're not opposed to the idea of a circuit-breaker they vehemently disagree with it being timed 'coincidentally' to happen at the same time most schools are off, on the grounds that education staff have worked solidly from March, many have booked staycations for the October Holidays, and are now finding out that nothing will be open and we'll be effectively stuck in the hoose for 24 hours a day with nothing to do.

First days off for months booked for me next Thursday through to the following Tuesday to go away. Can’t wait to spend it watching Homes Under the Hammer instead.

Those who tout the "Swedish model" never seem to accept that it hinged entirely on people doing what they were asked rather than having to be told. 

Are we seriously suggesting this could have worked here? Iirc for the first week before 'proper' half-arsed lockdown we were asked by Johnson to voluntarily follow measures, and in the main, we didn't. People literally said stuff along the lines of "until Boris tells me I have to I'm not going to." 

We have thousands of people losing their minds at being asked to wear a bit of cloth for 15 minutes, marching in opposition to it ffs, yet these same people are amongst those demanding that we follow a Swedish model during which (masks aside) they would be *asked* to follow some of the same rules that were legally enforced here that they object so strongly to.

Edited by madwullie

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I think this is a particularly strong point, especially considering Nicola Sturgeon urged people not to go abroad during these holidays and to holiday in Scotland/UK.

It's also a bit shite that she's going to give a day's notice on this, as opposed to just announcing it earlier, she knows what she's going to do, this "no final decisions have been made" talk is baloney, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to say yesterday what she's NOT going to do.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Close the pubs when the schools are at fault.
Following the science.

Schools closed at the same time -> case numbers fall -> schools and pubs reopen -> case numbers rise -> blame the pubs

And the love kickstarts again!

16 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Is Sweden a good country for us to compare ourselves too? We used to fight the Albanians for the title of sick man of Europe. When did we get on a par with Sweden?

No it's not. I see @welshbairn has already touched on this but I will link back to my post earlier in the thread with snippets from "MD" in Private Eye who explains why it's a stupid comparison to make.

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What would be the point of a circuit breaker with the schools open?

20 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

First days off for months booked for me next Thursday through to the following Tuesday to go away. Can’t wait to spend it watching Homes Under the Hammer instead.

I'm going to dig up the Holiday in Strathclyde thread for some tips. Might go to IKEA. Which will of course be open, as building flat-pack furniture = essential.