Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'm sitting in Rome right now.

^^^ Big team found

22 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

A quick response as I'm about to go on a tour of the Vatican.

^^^ Big team definitely found

8 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

A wee update on how well cutting back services is going NHS wise in my area.

Routine surgical referral done four months ago, I rang up to see where my patient was in the list for his procedure.

Number 248 I was told, what does that mean timewise, ah well we've not started on folk referred in November yet.

All those routine things, become more urgent, more debilitating, affecting quality of life, mental health etc.  Its  perfect storm really and when you see the drop in cancer referrals etc some hard times await.

This is all before the winter influx.  The Nhs will never catch up and was way to slow on opening up once it was clear there was to be no overwhelming of services.

Sad times.

I love you

I am looking forward to the day i can walk into a pub with a few of my mates and get a nice cold drink and not have to worry about wearing a mask, social distancing or the number in my party. It might be a long time away but that will make it all the sweeter.

Another lockdown wouldn’t be great but it is only two weeks (for now). It is such a small time especially compared with the first lockdown.

I think the issue is that a two week shutdown would probably not have a positive affect immediately and that it would continue week on week.

The reality is that there will probably be rolling restrictions across society for the next six months, this will have a huge impact on people’s everyday lives and be pretty miserable. Perhaps the adult conversation could incorporate this.

Routine surgical referral done four months ago, I rang up to see where my patient was in the list for his procedure.
Number 248 I was told, what does that mean timewise, ah well we've not started on folk referred in November yet.
All those routine things, become more urgent, more debilitating, affecting quality of life, mental health etc.  Its  perfect storm really and when you see the drop in cancer referrals etc some hard times await.
This is all before the winter influx.  The Nhs will never catch up and was way to slow on opening up once it was clear there was to be no overwhelming of services.
Sad times.

There was a story in the press about concerns being raised regarding the Scottish governments plans to reduce attendance at A&E and minor injury by using telephone triage. If anything scream unintended consequences it would be this.

The reality is that there will probably be rolling restrictions across society for the next six months, this will have a huge impact on people’s everyday lives and be pretty miserable. Perhaps the adult conversation could incorporate this.

Correct. It’s being hinted at by politicians and their advisers. I’ve heard Sturgeon say the hard times aren’t over, Jason Leitch on Off the Ball said things would be changeable ‘until at least Spring’, and even eternal bluffer Johnson said ‘bumpy until Christmas’, although followed it up by waffling about how things might be better by November when challenged on his previous bullshit.

But if Sturgeon does introduce this circuit-breaker she should be abundantly clear it won’t solve anything at all and we’ll in all likelihood be back here by the end of November. It’s clear at this stage that Western Europe’s approach is rolling lockdowns, whether it was meant that way or not.

I think the issue is that a two week shutdown would probably not have a positive affect immediately and that it would continue week on week.

Absolutely. It is completely pointless. However, i am not really getting upset about it. It is what it is. I got through the last 3 month lockdown. Id argue and say it will probably be longer than 6 months. My view of it is that there are many people in far worse positions than me.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve already asked but strangely you’ve ignored it so I’ll ask again. Can you please quote even 1 post from someone saying it’s 100% schools? ...

Pubs and restaurants have also been mentioned a lot and shouldn't be discounted as a factor just because not a lot was happening on new cases when the weather was warmer and the schools were still closed. The R0 number with a respiratory infection is likely to change significantly with the seasons. It's mind boggling that anybody could think that the virus mysteriously avoids schools just because that would be the most convenient outcome for the rest of us from an economic standpoint. Exceedingly few children will die of COVID is not the same thing as exceedingly few children will become infected with COVID at school and take it home to their parents.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

The whole two week circuit breaker thing is pretty pointless.  Its almost like we must be seen to be doing something.

Its obvious why numbers are up, be honest and have a proper discussion, dont treat the electorate like morons.

All the hints about it etc are pitiful, and all its going to do is hurt people's livelihoods, mental health etc before we open up only for same thing to happen.

Masks, social distancing and hamd hygiene and get people living again as this virus is going nowhere for a while.  We have to learn to live with it.

30 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Sad times.

I've never understood this, it was obvious after the first couple of weeks of lockdown that it was working and the NHS wouldn't be swamped. Do you think it was mainly to protect NHS staff from being infected by asymptomatic carrier patients in for non Covid treatments? Otherwise you'd think that the Covid patients could fairly easily be separated from the rest. 

15 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I think it was more to do with the cataclysmic predictions being made and it took a while to realise that it wasn't going to be that way.

We've been very cautious as a nation and this steps into healthcare.  Even now there are so many services pretty much mothballed or non f2f.   

The damage is done now though which is the problem in the coming months, years.

Conspiracy theorists might suggest that this could be a Tory ploy to help with their goal of moving towards a health system like the American one (i.e. a horrendous one that is designed solely to make money).

But then again I don't actually know if it the UK Government, Scottish Government or individual health boards who make these choices!

Quote any of my posts where I've said this or apologise for defaming me

Setting up the Go Fund Me as we speak mate. It’s disgraceful that decent honest posters can’t come on their favourite website without having their characters called into question. An absolute disgrace. I’m furious.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Setting up the Go Fund Me as we speak mate. It’s disgraceful that decent honest posters can’t come on their favourite website without having their characters called into question. An absolute disgrace. I’m furious.

This sort of targeted bullying is unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Sad times.

Why is nobody (health professionals, journalists etc) making these points when NS is questioned? Deaths from people missing out on treatment, or routine appointments, as well as the effect on people’s mental health due to job losses/money worries show that the extended “lockdown” never worked in the long term. Why they reckon a 2 week one will work is beyond me

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

There was a story in the press about concerns being raised regarding the Scottish governments plans to reduce attendance at A&E and minor injury by using telephone triage. If anything scream unintended consequences it would be this.

If the A&E telephone triage is anything like the mental health one then its going to fail. 

Looks like the UK will be bypassing Spain within the next couple of weeks or so as the worst hit country in Europe again. Spain appear to have the virus under control again and numbers are dropping, France are more or less treading water but the UK is rising rapidly by the day, of course this could be down to more testing and until we hear of people actually dying / becoming seriously ill then it probably doesn't matter an awful lot.

My worry would be that we're only weeks away from a huge increase in the death toll but as yet nobody seems to be taking the virus seriously again and by the time the death figures filter through (due to the lag), it will be too late and the Genie will be out of the bottle again.

As an aside, it's rather perplexing that we've still got quarantine rules on the likes of Portugal and Poland when the UK is hugely worse off in terms of infections and prevalence of the virus within society in general ????