Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Even if it does get some folk taking it seriously, you can never underestimate the ability of people to be stupid and selfish.
Case in point would be the fucking bellend that Radio Scotland keep giving airtime to who insists "they cannae stoap me comin tae the pub"

There are a couple (the usual suspects who ought to know better but seemingly don’t) in this thread who are sticking to the “I know better” line. They’ll try and do as they like until the government actually make orders, at which point they’ll complain about heavy handed government in London dictating what Scots can do. They also happen to be thee ones complaining about not getting stronger “advice”.

I don’t think it will be hard to find a flight / holiday deal at a decent price, if you want one, come October time. I think many folk might just write this year off though, will stay at home. ‘Day trips here and there’.... pretty much declare this holiday season void, and look to book something for 2021, when things are less uncertain... hopefully!

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye. Part of me thinks that a lot of the govt measures are aimed at ensuring folk take this seriously.

If you could reliably get folk to wash their hands, minimise contact with vulnerable people etc then that would probably be as much as we could do, but folk wont do it unless they are convinced the threat is serious.

I agree with the mass gatherings thing, I think crippling every day life is too far. Of course I realise that virologists know better than me, but it just seems to me like we are on the verge of going too far

In reality we're not doing anything like the rest of Europe / half of the world, so I'd say we certainly aren't just being cautious, if anything it's the opposite.

I'm pretty sure parts of the country (especially London) will be as bad if not worse than the likes of Madrid within a matter of days.

I’m not getting this whole thing now. I’m not saying it’s not serious but the numbers don’t seem to make any sense at all.

According to the most recent numbers, the number of global cases of coronavirus is 183,658. Of this number 7,177 have died. That’s roughly 3%.

According to these numbers, 0.00009% of the worlds population has been or is infected with coronavirus of which 3% of them have died.

China seems to be coming out the other end of it now as the number of cases are reducing everyday. So let’s imagine everyone in the world with the virus what from China and everyone who got it died. China has a population of roughly 1,435,000,000 so with the global number of cases at 183,658 that equates to 0.013% of the Chinese population.

Therefore assuming that absolutely everyone in the world who has had coronavirus was from China and absolutely everyone who got it died, it would have killed 0.013% of the Chinese population.

1 minute ago, RossDee01 said:

I’m not getting this whole thing now. I’m not saying it’s not serious but the numbers don’t seem to make any sense at all.

According to the most recent numbers, the number of global cases of coronavirus is 183,658. Of this number 7,177 have died. That’s roughly 3%.

According to these numbers, 0.00009% of the worlds population has been or is infected with coronavirus of which 3% of them have died.

China seems to be coming out the other end of it now as the number of cases are reducing everyday. So let’s imagine everyone in the world with the virus what from China and everyone who got it died. China has a population of roughly 1,435,000,000 so with the global number of cases at 183,658 that equates to 0.013% of the Chinese population.

Therefore assuming that absolutely everyone in the world who has had coronavirus was from China and absolutely everyone who got it died, it would have killed 0.013% of the Chinese population.

China took measures to stop it spreading while the rest of us looked on and laughed.

The MSM have also been a let down, they should be going mental at the politicos ineptitude. Get answers on projections of cases, how retooling is going for ventilators(nonsense), testing figures, hotspots,  money available to business and employess, deaths/cases before lockdown?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, The OP said:
They either need to commit to one or the other. "You shouldn't go to the pub but pubs will be open to the public" is ridiculous. 

The more cynical among us might think this is to protect insurance companies....

If insurance doesn't pay out, businesses will be fucked. If they do, it's unlikely premiums will stay the same next year, so they'll probably be fucked then instead.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, The OP said:
They either need to commit to one or the other. "You shouldn't go to the pub but pubs will be open to the public" is ridiculous. 

The more cynical among us might think this is to protect insurance companies....

I think insurance companies might be fucked anyway.

The concept of insurance is not predicated on everyone claiming for everything all at the same time but that’s where we are heading.

China took measures to stop it spreading while the rest of us looked on and laughed.

I realise that, but taking the number of cases from the entire world and confining them to 1 country with a 100% death rate still only kills 0.013% of that country. Doesn’t make sense to me.

9 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

China seems to be coming out the other end of it now as the number of cases are reducing everyday. 

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

And as soon as the measures are lifted, it will just get back into China again from visitors from a country that has done next to nothing, like us.

The 'other end of it' doesn't really exist yet