ICTChris

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The vast vast majority of people will get sick.

No they won't the vast majority will have next to no symptoms and be fine.  Crikey testing its already been established that a lot of people have had it without even knowing 

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Thousands of NHS workers will join a study to establish whether COVID-19 antibodies reduce the risk of infection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54060086

I'd have done that until I saw the bit about blood tests.  Last time I got blood taken from me my mate told me to shut the f**k up and stop being a wimp.

Not big on needles.  

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Well that my gangbang at weekend cancelled. 
Renfrewshire and East Dumbartonshire on list.

fancy.

Fury as BBC Scotland broadcasts interview with coronavirus sceptic

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18703257.fury-bbc-scotland-broadcasts-interview-coronavirus-sceptic/

BBC Radio Scotland has sparked an angry backlash from listeners for giving airtime to a coronavirus sceptic and anti-vaccination campaigner.

It comes after demonstrations were held in Edinburgh and Glasgow over the weekend to protest the use of masks to suppress Covid-19. Hundreds of people took part in the “Saving Scotland” event outside Holyrood Parliament on Saturday, with a smaller-scale event staged the following day in Glasgow.

One of the speakers at the Glasgow demonstration was interviewed today on the BBC's Good Morning Scotland (GMS) breakfast radio show, prompting outrage.

Kevin Corbett, a former nurse, has previously claimed there is no scientific proof of coronavirus. He has also compared leaders who want to make vaccines mandatory to Nazis.

He told GMS that governments across the world are misleading people and “demanding conformity”, claiming that information provided by Holyrood about the virus is “full of holes” and represents a “fake narrative”.

He also insisted there is no good scientific evidence to suggest that wearing masks is an effective way to suppress viruses.

His claims were rubbished by public health expert Linda Bauld, who told GMS: “It’s important that at this time when we’re faced with such a big crisis that we have trust in government and that there are consistent messages – and their have been in my view from the Scottish Government.”

She said it was essential to combat the spread of misinformation, adding: “Unfortunately some of the things [Corbett] was saying there, while he absolutely has the right to express those views, are really not the case.”

Bauld gave the example of the comments about face coverings: “[Corbett]’s right that the evidence has changed, but saying that because you don’t have a randomised control trial you wouldn’t introduce a public health measure is a bit like saying we need a randomised control trial to show that parachutes work when we jump out of a plane. We don’t have any evidence like that but we have very good quality studies. So we know face coverings will make a difference and globally that is more widely accepted.”

She continued: “The other thing that concerns me about the protests over the weekend is that looking at some of the coverage and views expressed by people at the protest who were very strongly against vaccines. From a scientific perspective that’s a very worrying thing to be advocating – that if we get a vaccine for Covid-19 that people shouldn’t take it or encourage others to take it.”

The BBC’s decision to give Corbett airtime was condemned by listeners on social media.

Former MSP Malcolm Chisholm asked: “Why is Good Morning Scotland giving main 7.10 slot to an ignorant anti-social distancing anti-masking anti-vaccine protestor?”

He added: “Admittedly followed immediately by the wonderful @LindaBauld putting him right but obsession with balance inappropriate here especially with lives at stake.”

Journalist Graeme Murray wrote: “Couldn’t believe he was even given a platform. Astonished as the number of positive cases begins to rise.”

BBC Scotland said the inclusion of an anti-vaxxer was justified since health officials were also interviewed.

A spokesperson told The National: “Like many media outlets we aim to include a range of perspectives during our coverage of the pandemic.

“On Good Morning Scotland today we also included views on the weekend’s protest from Jason Leitch, the national clinical director, and Linda Bauld, from the University of Edinburgh.”

Well there you go, the BBC providing a balanced view on the subject of mask wearing and vaccination.

I take it his views on mask wearing is why Mr Corbett is now a former nurse.

Don't mind me colouring this in it looked a bit tl/dr so at least if you don't want to read it, it looks nice.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Parkrun to return in England towards the end of October.

Wonder if or when it'll return up here?

The differences between a government that wants to try and get back to as close to normal as they can versus one which is absolutely scared to are becoming more obvious with each announcement.

There is little value now in looking at either's decisions through the lens of "the science" and trying to find and apply logic to them.

Just reading that a death is only counted by PHE in the stats if it occurs within 28 days of a positive test. Is that the same up here? 

Yeah, PHE changed that recently so they weren't counting people who were positive months ago and died of something unrelated since.

NRS stats will pick up the deaths up here after 28 days.

7 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Yeah, PHE changed that recently so they weren't counting people who were positive months ago and died of something unrelated since.

NRS stats will pick up the deaths up here after 28 days.

If someone is in hospital/ICU for more than 28 days then die does this also mean it is not counted as Covid? We are hearing stories of folk being in ICU or on ventilators for months like the Scot's guy in Vietnam.

Does it not normally take more than 28 days to die from covid though? 

No. They also count you if you’re still receiving treatment for covid or if covid is mentioned on death certificate.

Average time from infection to death is 18 days

No I don't think that true. Wikipedia says onset to death 2-8 weeks. 

Edited by madwullie

15 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

If someone is in hospital/ICU for more than 28 days then die does this also mean it is not counted as Covid? We are hearing stories of folk being in ICU or on ventilators for months like the Scot's guy in Vietnam.

In England this would be counted. In Scotland it wouldn't, but would appear in the NRS stats.

I don't know how common it is to be in ICU for months and then die tbh. Any story I've read mentioning that scenario the person survived (so wouldn't be counted anywhere).

10 minutes ago, madwullie said:

No I don't think that true. Wikipedia says onset to death 2-8 weeks. 

The single report that range is lifted from is from the 29th of February.

Doesn't mean it isn't true; it's just based solely on China, and from very early on in the whole thing.

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The single report that range is lifted from is from the 29th of February.

Doesn't mean it isn't true; it's just based solely on China, and from very early on in the whole thing.

Yeha that's fair enough. Infection to death - 18 days seems very short though. 

Edited by madwullie

13 hours ago, renton said:

It's hardly unlikely is it? You've got to imagine that most folk are to some degree flouting the rules on number of person, households or distancing or a combination of all of the above, whereas commercial properties are far better at regulating who sits where, and how many.

I'd also guess though that pubs have been working below even their post lockdown capacities, probably because folk have assumed it was safer to congregate with mates in their houses than risk a public venue. 

14 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Are the government really telling us that people are behaving themselves better in a pub than a house?
Hopefully we won't see a rise in admissions in a few weeks time.
Pubs, football, gym, cafes its all fucked. Lets be honest.

Having a whole household go down with an illness or this virus is not that difficult to achieve compared to a business that serves customers. People in that household haven't even flouted any rules to become infected and you have people jumping to conclusion.

Every work place that serves customers the employees will be wiping down every surface with disinfectant that can be touched at the start of the day, then tables and chairs are wiped down after each customer and every other surface like counters, doors etc throughout the shift.  Employees also wear masks when dealing with customers and if not are behind a screen, there should also be some hand disinfectant available for everyone to use, you know the rest.

In a household all it takes is for example is one person to pick up the virus somewhere else from talking to an unaware infected person or touching a surface that has been touched by someone else who is already carrying the virus and they touch their face or eat something, rub their eye or when they pass a cigarette to their mouth and before they start showing any symptoms or maybe none at all they have infected the whole house either through close contact or touching a surface that doesn't get disinfected and that's the virus passed on to everyone if they touch the same surface or sit next to the infected person or talk to them catching tiny water droplets of them on your face, maybe even straight into an eye. Cold viruses are passed like this as well and I guarantee most people in most households don't clean their house or wipe down surfaces or take the same precautions as these businesses to that level of meticulousness and lapse when it comes to the likes of washing their hands in their own home.

How many homes have hand disinfectants in every room and how many people would go to the trouble of behaving the same way in their own home among family as they do outside in public areas or in the workplace. Who disinfects the inside of their car regularly as well?

Edited by Snafu

Something that just doesn't compute with me is why so many school teachers or the carers who work in nurseries are coming down with the virus right now.

Can't imagine why??

Nope!

Can't be coming from the schools because according to Education Secretary Gavin Williamson 'makes it clear there is little evidence virus is transmitted' in classrooms'.

So either schools are unlike any other place when it comes to a gathering of people and the virus has suddenly become selective or maybe someone is telling porkies.

What do you think Scooby?

Schools open = parents back to work = bullshit time and cover ups
Yeah, we should lockdown indefinitely, and see what's left. The basic principles of risk management (alarp) dont apply here. We should just see what's left of a functioning society once the worlds population has been successfully vaccinated