Coronavirus (COVID-19)

59 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

If that’s a thinly veiled dig at my post then I think you need to look beyond or even forget about the number of employees/furlough etc and consider how clubs reliant on gate money are supposed to cover their operating costs (i.e. electricity bills if floodlights are used over winter etc) if the season is to go ahead as planned. 

Yours and a couple of others.

The survival of Coal Pit Dandelion JFC is rightly about a millionth on anyone's agenda.

Maybe its passed my by but you've hit on something lacking so far in this saga, the shit novelty single.

I don't know about a novelty song, but you can guarantee that some military/NHS choir has a maudlin cover of a long forgotten indie song in the can for Christmas. Captain Sir Colonel Tom MBE to feature at some point and bag himself a Christmas no 1.

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yours and a couple of others.

The survival of Coal Pit Dandelion JFC is rightly about a millionth on anyone's agenda.

Easy for you to say if you are not in a community where Coal Pit Dandelion JFC represent a massive part of your life.

Edited by Marshmallo

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Easy for you to say if you are not in a community where Coal Pit Dandelion JFC represent a massive part of your life.

Couldn't they just watch ra Gers on the telly like all the rest of Coal Pit Dandelion JFC fans?

40 minutes ago, renton said:

I suppose it depends on whether you can run the stream in parallel with having folk in the ground. In other words, if the authorities decide that people can attend, does that mean no PPV would be available?

I think the agreement with Sky (which, based on my reading of the reports at the time, applied to the whole league)  was based on streams being allowed for as long as there were restrictions on attendance.

I assume the legal text will be somewhat more nuanced than that because a restriction of 20%-30% of capacity is probably higher than most SPFL clubs' average home attendance.

Edited by The Master

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Going into the toilets etc is flashing past someone in a matter of seconds. A contact according to T and P or the app is 15 minutes within 2 metres. There is absolutely no reason why you would reach that level at the football. Passing someone briefly, standing pissing next to them, passing them in their seat.... All of these are very brief encounters that are happening presumably masked up and outdoors.

I honestly dont see why these things are being made into an issue at football.

By the definition of a contact that you give, there wouldn't be a single 'contact' in a busy supermarket allowing an unorganised free for all.  Therefore, why should such flash pasts be deemed as acceptable necessary evils in a stadium toilet,  but not in a shop? 

If we take the football fan blinkers off, this just appears as "we know it's not currently accepted anywhere else and businesses have already spent money just to avoid this very thing, but can we not just forget it because we want our fitba back?".

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Even in the darkest of times it's always worth remembering there are those worse off than yourself.

Thanks 

Everyone has different priorities during this, which I think gets lost a lot of the time. A non-league football club might not matter to you or me but it would be higher up the list of concerns for others. It's the same way many of the "av goat two weans" lot say "schools are more important than pubs!". Go and tell that to someone who works behind a bar and wouldn't be able to pay their rent if pubs get closed again.

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

20200923_102019.jpg.2d81fbf38f01deeb1a95b7bb9c4adb59.jpg

Game's gone

It's no wonder the Government hasn't bothered its arse trying to find an exit strategy when you see that. Keep playing cat and mouse with restrictions and seemingly they'll largely be tolerated. 

16 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I don't know about a novelty song, but you can guarantee that some military/NHS choir has a maudlin cover of a long forgotten indie song in the can for Christmas. Captain Sir Colonel Tom MBE to feature at some point and bag himself a Christmas no 1.

The 'rona might not manage it, but I'd like to formally declare Christmas cancelled. 

27 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I vote for the Space hit "Neighbourhood", as it will evoke a sense of community that is much needed in these hard times.

ETA: At number 4 there lived a man called Ted, he caught covid and now he's dead.

Edited by Ross.

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Everyone has different priorities during this, which I think gets lost a lot of the time. A non-league football club might not matter to you or me but it would be higher up the list of concerns for others. It's the same way many of the "av goat two weans" lot say "schools are more important than pubs!". Go and tell that to someone who works behind a bar and wouldn't be able to pay their rent if pubs get closed again.

It's back to my original point. It's not about what's important to people it's down to economic impact.

If furlough was extended hospitlaity sector would be shut too.

The hospitality sector is necessary. Lower league football clubs aren't.

I'm in the same boat with my ice hockey team having season completely cancelled. It's important to me and my family but end of day if ice hockey ceased in Scotland the country would muddle on

11 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I'm just pissed off that it's still apparently ok to sit in a pub rammed full of folk but it's not alright to attend an outdoor football match.

This "it's okay to sit in a pub rammed with people" is a line that I hear all the time and it's starting to well pee me off. It's as if the pub experience is exactly as it was pre Covid. 

It's NOT okay to sit in a pub rammed with people. 

There is a relaxation of the 2m SD regulation to 1m (provided there are posters etc. informing people of that) but SD regulations are still in place. 

You shouldn't be standing anywhere in a pub far less standing rammed with people and seats should be spaced out and you should still be meeting folk from only one other household while you are in the pub. 

You are going to be, of course, moving about to some degree if only to go to the toilet and have some, limited, interaction with others from outside your immediate group but the wearing of face masks is mandatory while doing so. 

The pubs are absolutely not rammed with people standing/sitting cheek by jowl infecting each other with Covid-19. Or if they are you should go elsewhere and the pub should have its licence removed. 

Edited by John MacLean

18 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I suspect in England, contempt for the government correlates with following the rules quite carefully.

No-one holds this Cabinet of Fools in more contempt than I do, but I continue to follow mitigation measures - because that's the best way to minimise spread.

As a H&S professional, my job involves the elimination or minimisation of risk. The initial response in this country was shamefully late, but had the desired effect of lowering spread of this virus. So far, acceptable.

The clamour for re-opening society rose, and so, so many people - from all levels and walks of life, failed to get their heads around one simple fact - The virus was still out there. Without substitute control measures at least as stringent as those imposed during lockdown, the spread was ALWAYS going to increase - I find it incredible that anyone could express surprise at the inevitable exploaion in transmissions.

What would help - a little, maybe a lot - is for us all to get away from the concept of "back to normal". That is something which is simply not going to happen. Pubs whose business model relies on weekends packed out with vertical drinkers? Gone. Coffee/sandwich shops reliant on nearby office blocks packed with worker bees? Gone. Gigs in standing venues, or those with standing areas? Gone. Gigs in venues which can only seat 25% of previous capacity, meaning a 75% drop in revenue from tickets, merch sales, catering? Gone.  Whatever state the world settles into over the next couple of years, it will be a long way from what we had before March. Not all changes will be negative*, but there will be massive changes to adjust to.

Still, at least Rishi gave us all cheap food to scoff while we let the virus get back up to speed, eh?

*Currently, thanks to PPV, I'm getting to see Killie a LOT more than I have for years. I'm very aware, though, that the continuing lack of fans could well mean the whole Scottish game collapsing sooner rather than later.

Nothing right now would give me more pleasure than for football to be back in the form we know and love. It's especially frustrating to see non-league football in England being played in front of crowds, at least for now. If Marine can play Frickley in the FA Cup in front of 260 people why can't I pop up the road and watch Vale of Clyde or whoever? 

I genuinely think that provided SD regulations are put in place (perhaps with temperature checks) and the wearing of face masks the risks of Covid transmission at the actual game is minimal but I suspect the concerns are more about relatively large numbers arriving at and leaving from the same venue in a relatively short time frame. 

Just as an example, even with a small crowd the bus stop at Queens Cross outside Firhill is always mobbed after the game. 

To make it work I think you would need to stagger arrival and departure times from stadiums which could mean people hanging around a cold/damp football ground for about 3 hours. 

I don't suppose any of these problems are insurmountable and the issues re large numbers in small areas equally applies to shops in the city centre. I'm just trying to get a handle on the thinking for keeping football behind closed doors. An explanation of the rationale would be very helpful. 

This "it's okay to sit in a pub rammed with people" is a line that I hear all the time and it's starting to well pee me off. It's as if the pub experience is exactly as it was pre Covid. 
It's NOT okay to sit in a pub rammed with people. 
There is a relaxation of the 2m SD regulation to 1m (provided there are posters etc. informing people of that) but SD regulations are still in place. 
You shouldn't be standing anywhere in a pub far less standing rammed with people and seats should be spaced out and you should still be meeting folk from only one other household while you are in the pub. 
You are going to be, of course, moving about to some degree if only to go to the toilet and have some, limited, interaction with others from outside your immediate group but the wearing of face masks is mandatory while doing so. 
The pubs are absolutely not rammed with people standing/sitting cheek by jowl infecting each other with Covid-19. Or if they are you should go elsewhere and the pub should have its licence removed. 
Regardless, if this is possible then so is limited numbers at sporting events.

Convince me otherwise.