Coronavirus (COVID-19)

As an aside, a bloke in HMV at Braehead told me their business has been booming. He said there’s been tons of folk in buying box sets and DVDs, giving them something new to watch, should they be forced to self isolate. Every cloud...

16 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Probably been mentioned a few pages back, but the government very deliberately just advising businesses to close and so on, as opposed to forcing them to shut and possibly having to give them compensation, or allowing an insurance claim just sums it up.  

My Dad runs a pub and is lucky to be in the absolute minority that are doing ok just now. He'll be closing it off his own back soon i'd imagine, but a massive amount of independently owned pubs will go under if they have to close without some sort of compensation/insurance. 

Very few insurance policies will pay out no matter what Johnson says. Their wording would have to be very loose and insurers don't do loose. Most Business Interruption policies will pay for disease within say a 15 mile radius of the premises but it will be for named diseases and Coronavirus isn't one of them. 

In times of crisis, you really get a measure of how much shit the Govt actually gives about it's citizens.

They're off to a poor start.

If they start bailing out big business whilst leaving cafe and pub owners to rot after hanging them out to dry tonight, the poor start will get worse.....

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

In times of crisis, you really get a measure of how much shit the Govt actually gives about it's citizens.

They're off to a poor start.

If they start bailing out big business whilst leaving cafe and pub owners to rot after hanging them out to dry tonight, the poor start will get worse.....

Yeah but they will still vote the kents in won't they !

10 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Very few insurance policies will pay out no matter what Johnson says. Their wording would have to be very loose and insurers don't do loose. Most Business Interruption policies will pay for disease within say a 15 mile radius of the premises but it will be for named diseases and Coronavirus isn't one of them. 

Does this information pan out?

6 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Greatest of respect but I’m not sure any of the potential incumbents would be able to deliver any sort of panacea. Boris happens to be what we’ve got. Lucky us! 

True. A lot is being made of JC saying all the right things. But that is all he is doing - saying.

I imagine it is much easier to make claims of what should be happening, without actually having to do it.

I think Boris Johnson is a wallopper, but I do not envy his position one bit right now.

Just seen a post from a rabid No voting, Tory Voting, Scotland hater moaning about BJ on FB

If only anyone had bothered to highlight he didn't give a hoot about the majority of workers in the run up to the election... 🙈

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

True. A lot is being made of JC saying all the right things. But that is all he is doing - saying.

I imagine it is much easier to make claims of what should be happening, without actually having to do it.

I think Boris Johnson is a wallopper, but I do not envy his position one bit right now.

poor boris

he wanted the big job,hes got it

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

The only thing that can work if this goes long term is universal basic income. Some social democrat countries are already doing this & bond yields are so low thanks to panicking investors that it is easily fundable.

The above all falls down if there's no workforce to do the critical bits of work mind you.

It’s hard to see what else could work if it pans out in a worst case scenario; so many sectors could become obsolete with huge job losses and there will be a massive domino effect on the economy. What the last few days have shown is that the government is like a weather vane for public opinion and if the pressure ramps up they would probably buckle to the idea, despite their innate desire to f**k over the populace.

I imagine the property market will suffer a big shock, which could have many implications, good and bad. I wouldn’t shed a tear for the Air BnB klondikers throughout the country, but lots of people will probably end up in negative equity and the big investment institutions  might suffer badly which could f**k up the value of pensions.  It might end the idea of domestic property being an investment opportunity and return it to being somewhere to live in the first instance but who knows.

I’m a civil servant so have some protection right now, I can’t imagine how it must feel if you are staring down the barrel after week one of this. Less promisingly, I have 2 young kids at school, I have asthma and my wife works in front line hospital health care. Thoughts and prayers etc.

Boris and Nicola are making a rip roaring c**t of this so far. 

While I wouldn't usually think they were capable of pushing a shopping trolley, we might require them to in a few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Snobot said:

It’s hard to see what else could work if it pans out in a worst case scenario; so many sectors could become obsolete with huge job losses and there will be a massive domino effect on the economy. What the last few days have shown is that the government is like a weather vane for public opinion and if the pressure ramps up they would probably buckle to the idea, despite their innate desire to f**k over the populace.

I imagine the property market will suffer a big shock, which could have many implications, good and bad. I wouldn’t shed a tear for the Air BnB klondikers throughout the country, but lots of people will probably end up in negative equity and the big investment institutions  might suffer badly which could f**k up the value of pensions.  It might end the idea of domestic property being an investment opportunity and return it to being somewhere to live in the first instance but who knows.

I’m a civil servant so have some protection right now, I can’t imagine how it must feel if you are staring down the barrel after week one of this. Less promisingly, I have 2 young kids at school, I have asthma and my wife works in front line hospital health care. Thoughts and prayers etc.

Last para, swings and roundabouts, it’ll be a tough old time, I don’t doubt that; sorry  old chap. Genuinely  hope you all come though with as little grief as possible. 

Para 2. Same as far too many people in the country..  DOMESTIC PROPERTY IS NOT AN INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY.  Capital growth is however an agreeable side benefit. 

Do yourself a favour, treat your home as a roof over your head, as shelter from the elements and  if you’re lucky it’ll be located somewhere agreeable and capacious enough for your needs.

Its the airbnb’rs, the speculators, the capital rich that screw the market for everyone else, best not play the game with the short term spivs...

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Hopefully at the end of all this, Johnson and Cummings find themselves up in front of a courtroom.

AFAIK, BoJo has never taken responsibility for anything in his puff and that includes his squadron of b*****ds.

The template for Tory PM's 'Walking Away' was perfectly encapsulated by 'Call Me Dave' Cameron when, in a massive bout of hubris, he was f*cked from arsehole to breakfast by his own party and then lobbed a grenade into the room as he ran out the door.

Johnson will end up doing something similarly spectacular and destructive to the country.

It's only a matter of time.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

They’re going to bail out the airlines aren’t they?

British Airways are the biggest bunch of c***s going. What was once a great airline is now a penny pinching, power hungry sorry excuse for a company. But hey....they turn a profit......will be sad to see them get bailed out.

7 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

AFAIK, BoJo has never taken responsibility for anything in his puff and that includes his squadron of b*****ds.

The template for Tory PM's 'Walking Away' was perfectly encapsulated by 'Call Me Dave' Cameron when, in a massive bout of hubris, he was f*cked from arsehole to breakfast by his own party and then lobbed a grenade into the room as he ran out the door.

Johnson will end up doing something similarly spectacular and destructive to the country.

It's only a matter of time.

Well done you for playing to the P&B gallery and using as many tropes as is possible in four simple paragraphs.

I'm not a Boris fan (though he was an excellent Mayor of London) and, of course, he is a shyster.  The only reason he backed Brexit was not for the good of Britain but for the good of Boris.

He is, without doubt, the most egotistical, self-interested fuckwit ever to be PM in my lifetime.

If Britain's interests align with Boris's ego then he will be a formidable PM.