Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Agreed. Number 1 peoples health is it, but...

tynierose’s phone is evidently red hot and G-man can’t stock the shelves fast enough. But those that own/run/manage a business, any reports? 

My phone was awfy quiet today, I expect it’ll stay that way for a couple of months now; I’ll get through it, I think. 

But I’m sure there’s many more businesses where they’re operating on small margins or high costs (lots of employees sitting about doing not much for example (and no, I’m not looking at you Richard Branson or Michael O’Leary) that this’ll just wipe them out in no time. 

I’m not talking about fat cats, just people who have a vested interest beyond a wage and a job. Without whom, there will be a lot less wages and jobs. 

I am self employed and work from home , i have noticed a drop in enquiries and a surprising lack of urgency from normally impatient customers , but i will be ok i have contingency plans for other income ....   Image result for heisenberg

9 minutes ago, L'immortale Par said:

Spoke to 5 different people today who have either had to leave Edinburgh as their jobs have gone or are on unpaid leave and expect that will ramp up throughout the week. Hotels, tour guides - the impact is hitting hard already. 

On the plus side my commute took half the time it usually does. 

Aye, Mrs a-p works at a big financial sweat box office at The Gyle - not a breeding ground for viruses, no siree, not at all - and she skooshed it into work in half the time this morning. So she can transmit the bug back to us quicker on her run home. Every cloud, eh? 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

The complaints about "point scoring" are pant-wetting nonsense. It's perfectly feasible to simultaneously hold the position of "f**k, this is awful, lets get touch elbows and get through this together" whilst also making the legitimate criticism of "a decade of pointless, ideologically driven, austerity and short-term thinking has left this country and its people extremely vulnerable to such a crisis".

Spot on mate !

Listened to a couple experts on this and the horrifically obese general population of the UK and US will be significant contributors to the end numbers. A totally different set of risk factors compared to China.

All sorts of factors involved. Rates of smoking higher in China and Italy compared to UK. It’s really difficult to pick your way through the “evidence” and who to believe for that matter. It’s a hellish time.

From the BBC update tonight.

Posted at 22:1422:14
Dire prediction sees shift in UK strategy

James Gallagher
Health and science correspondent, BBC News
The UK's plan has shifted because the scientific modelling showed we were on course for a "catastrophic epidemic".

A strategy of just slowing the spread of the virus, but not trying to stop it, would have overwhelmed intensive care units.

The modelling by Imperial College London has been heavily informed by the experience in Italy and is influencing decisions at the heart of government.

Their calculations predicted 260,000 deaths in the UK.

Instead the plan is to drive down the number of cases to very low levels, which the models predict will limit deaths from coronavirus to the thousands or tens of thousands.

However, this approach comes with a major problem - there is no exit strategy.

Without the immunity that would build up if people were infected, then cases would soar as soon as measures are lifted.

The report said these could need to be in place until a vaccine is available, which could take up to 18 months.

We are in this for the long haul

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Depressingly a couple of days ago while our political correspondent class were on twitter sneering at members of the public for querying how workable the old plan was, RTE was publishing exactly this analysis on Irish telly.

I don't even think this will do it but we really need to sack about 90% of our journalists and blacklist them from the industry.

Possible reason is that many of them aren't really journalists.  The decline of newsprint and constant whittling away of budgets to pay journalists has meant that much

of modern journalism training has shifted to comprise large elements of PR, rather than any search for truth.

Probably been mentioned a few pages back, but the government very deliberately just advising businesses to close and so on, as opposed to forcing them to shut and possibly having to give them compensation, or allowing an insurance claim just sums it up.  

My Dad runs a pub and is lucky to be in the absolute minority that are doing ok just now. He'll be closing it off his own back soon i'd imagine, but a massive amount of independently owned pubs will go under if they have to close without some sort of compensation/insurance. 

Edited by Fratelli

France about to go into total lockdown saying no business will go bust set aside shitloads of cash. Our govt offers suggestions so they cant get hit with any compensation claims and tell us to lather up and sing to Lizzie. Hopeless c***s.

Image may contain: 1 person, possible text that says 'James Melville @JamesMelville French president Emmanuel Macron has announced absolute confinement in France from lunchtime Tuesday. Only authorised food shopping, one meter distances, absolutely no physical contact. Macron also promises that "not a single company will go bankrupt". 19:28 16 Mar 20 Twitter for iPhone 711 Retweets 1,648 Likes'

Edited by dirty dingus

1 minute ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Bluebottles incoming!!! Chest freezers are sold out in Ireland as the panic buyers suddenly realise all their perishables are perishing! 

I was in Braehead today, before the latest, more serious, government announcement this afternoon. In Sainsburys the panic buying of bog roll and pasta was still in full swing, with the bog roll locusts moving onto kitchen roll, and the pasta hoarders moving their attention to sachets of Uncle Ben’s rice. With today’s announcement, I expect scenes of utter madness in the shops. It is going to get ugly, quickly. There will be punters fighting each other for tins of Campbells meatballs by Wednesday.

4 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

France about to go into total lockdown

Is it ? ..feck i have two hotels booked in calais and amiens in april ..looks like it's fecked then ...bollocks ..no refund on this too will i get refunded on the euro tunnel ? oh who cares St andrews for a weekend instead then ..