Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Wait - folk are lying to check if there are spaces and then complaining that there aren't spaces? Is this a thing?

"I didn't expect the beach to be *this* busy!" says man who drove for two hours to go to the beach

All to do with lab space. The English system is essentially broken at this stage due to the reliance on ‘Lighthouse’ labs. I believe, unless it’s changed, that the Lighthouse lab in Glasgow only takes public tests from Glasgow Airport in Scotland. The rest are analysed in NHS labs. The Glasgow lab also takes the full quota of care home tests (staff and residents twice weekly).

So in summary, if you’re being tested anywhere except from Glasgow Airport you should get a result without much issue in Scotland (it happens, obviously, but looks like virtually all are within 48hrs). In England? Honestly, it’s a lottery. Of Tuesday’s announced English cases, more than half were from last week. 25% were four days old, and 16% were five days old. There was even 4% a full week old meaning you’re just as likely to get a result within 24 hours as you are a week.

Johnson promised all results within 24 hours by the end of June, for some context. And I haven’t even mentioned the fact that media investigations are showing it’s impossible to get a test in the top 10 English hotspots, so what’s going to happen to figures over the next week or so? Shockingly they’ll all come tumbling down.

It really can’t be stressed enough how much of a disaster this is. We’ll have absolutely no idea if current measures are working because the data is essentially wildly wrong.
The BBC interviewing people on live breakfast TV this morning willing to admit that they blatantly lied about being symptomatic to get a test "for their own sake" as they put it will not be helping.

Is a second proper lockdown even possible without extending the furlough scheme?

Other than the obvious reasons and of course all the poor folk who were getting ill, the first lockdown was enjoyable in a way for some people, with nice weather and a chance to relax at home. Not sure many people would fancy it in October. 

That's the clickbait headlines, when you delve into the article carried in several papers plus the Spectator it seems the actual plan is a "targeted" lockdown based on personal criteria (shielding max ?) Plus some countrywide measures like travel restrictions and curfews for pubs and restaurants. Still sounds bonkers and a total impossibility to enforce the shielding max proposal. Despite all Sunaks denials I still expect some sort of sector targeted extension to furlough as the alternative of actually allowing those businesses to open currently seems unlikely.

18 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

In my defence I was checking if my sister could get one who's just flown in from New Zealand via Hong Kong, and will be a full time carer for our ancient mother. Looks like we'll have to go private.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Yeah I thought it was down to each state to decide which way they would go.

Kinda, but that was only because the white house abdigated all responsibility. They did actually come up with a federal plan, but apparently because it was only going to hurt democratic States in their projections, they (kushner) decided it best to let the states themselves take control (and the blame).

Then there was the issue of governors trying to brown nose trump, so downplaying, blaming others, refusing to implement any measures at all in the face of grim statistics, in order to curry favour. 

I don't even think its possible to say that states were left to decide. From what I've read, individuals were left to decide while mayors and governors fought it out

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Can't see us going back to full lockdown again.

Local lockdowns yes.

Which countries went through the first wave with local lockdowns rather than a full lockdown?

There is absolutely no need for another lockdown. As @Tynierose mentioned the lockdown was only ever to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed and to “flatten the curve”. All that was done. I find it incredible that people are willing to accept another lockdown under false pretences. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Towe all know that driving is dangerous so we take precautions, like wearing seatbelts and checking mirrors, looking over the shoulder for the blind spot when overtaking, keeping a safe braking distance from other cars etc. 

You obviously don't drive an Audi.

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I must have missed it, I've not seen anyone on here that is pro full national lockdown.

Aye but the local facebook pages he follows so he can get annoyed about this stuff are FULL of people demanding another lockdown, so that must be public opinion across the whole nation. 

Edited by The Moonster

There is absolutely no need for another lockdown. As [mention=30230]Tynierose[/mention] mentioned the lockdown was only ever to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed and to “flatten the curve”. All that was done. I find it incredible that people are willing to accept another lockdown under false pretences. 
Hopefully we don't face another national lockdown in any guise but it can't be said any new lockdown would be under false pretences as I can't see anyway it will be imposed to flatten the NHS curve 2nd time round. If it happens it's going to be to stop / control community transmission I would have thought as clearly there is no NHS curve to flatten. As I said in an earlier post, if you look behind the headlines it's not a blanket lockdown being discussed here, that's just a sensationalist headline. No point worrying about something that hasn't and might never happen and if it does is only likely to significantly impact certain targeted sectors of society.

Aye but the local facebook pages he follows so he can get annoyed about this stuff are FULL of people demanding another lockdown, so that must be public opinion across the whole nation. 
To be fair to him most of the local Ayrshire ones nearly universally are which is crazy stuff but as you say they are mostly populated by non workers and stay at home mothers.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

To be fair to him most of the local Ayrshire ones nearly universally are which is crazy stuff but as you say they are mostly populated by non workers and stay at home mothers.

Anyone who bases their opinions on facebook posts, or worse, believes that Ayrshire facebook posts are in any way representative of the public opinion of the entire nation are morons. There's no need to be fair to him. The Scottish Government don't even want another national lockdown but he thinks they'll somehow be submitted by a team of single maws from Ayrshire kicking up a fuss on the Ayr Advertiser facebook page.

Anyone who bases their opinions on facebook posts, or worse, believes that Ayrshire facebook posts are in any way representative of the public opinion of the entire nation are morons. There's no need to be fair to him. The Scottish Government don't even want another national lockdown but he thinks they'll somehow be submitted by a team of single maws from Ayrshire kicking up a fuss on the Ayr Advertiser facebook page.
For once people are being unfair to Thereisalight as he said it in a response to a post stating "who does / no one wants another lockdown " Yes it's only Facebook zoomers and yes it's not representative as its local groups but having seen the same groups he is right there are hundreds of pro lockdown Facebook maws in Ayrshire so some people clearly do favour that option as mental as it seems to most of us.

Reddit is really bad for the multitude of losers screaming “SHUT THE PUBS” and jerking themselves off at the prospect of another full lockdown any time there’s a rise in cases.

I don’t for second believe that’s representative of the nation as a whole, just an observation.

7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Reddit is really bad for the multitude of losers screaming “SHUT THE PUBS” and jerking themselves off at the prospect of another full lockdown any time there’s a rise in cases.

I don’t for second believe that’s representative of the nation as a whole, just an observation.

I presume reddit is also to blame for you using a phrase like "jerking themselves off"