Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

The only reason why key workers might struggle to get a prompt and convenient test facility right now is due to the widespread selfish behaviour of parents in non-essential jobs who are desperate to get a wean with a runny nose tested so that they can fire them back into school first thing tomorrow morning. 

😂

The phrase "non essential jobs" went out the window when lockdown was eased.

I don't have kids, and you don't have kids, but it's hardly selfish for parents to get a test booked because their kids' school has decided they want a negative test for every cold, to allow them to go to work and earn their wage rather than stay off for 2 weeks for no reason.

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't have kids, and you don't have kids, but it's hardly selfish for parents to get a test booked because their kids' school has decided they want a negative test for every cold

Except that no school is actually requiring a test for 'a cold' but rather 'symptoms that are aligned with Covid', so you're talking utter pish.

to allow them to go to work and earn their wage rather than stay off for 2 weeks for no reason.

They are living in the same household as someone with the symptoms of Covid, which is as good a reason to take parental leave as any. What do these martyrs to the job do in the case that their child actually has the flu and is unwell for days in any other year? 'Sorry Jayden, ahm workin so you're goin intae school anyway' is exactly the sort of selfish attitude that explains why the disease was spreading like wildfire before the schools were closed altogether at the end of March. It doesn't get you a priority pass for testing now.  

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Can't speak for all schools of course but we have always had staff in the corridors and crush areas during period changeover and at break etc. and there has been a visible increase in staff outside making sure pupils are following the one-way system and adhering as much as possible to social distancing measures (while waiting to get into a class etc.) so I wouldn't say "there won't be a teacher in sight". We are already getting the arsey kids arguing back when asked to follow the one way system and not to move seats once they are in class so I can imagine we'll get even more when marks become mandatory. It's all part of the fun and games if course, but if there was a serious anti-mask issue I'm not sure what we are meant to do about it. It's hard enough removing disruptive pupils anyway without parents phoning in and complaining that Lennon had been sent home for not wearing a mask but "masks are against my human rights and by the way don't you know it's a conspiracy to get Bill Gates access to our medical records".Again can't speak for all schools in Fife but my school certainly isn't - guidance remains that if you have one or more of the three main symptoms (new, persistent cough et al) then you should self isolate and get tested. Anyone who is ill but not showing those specific symptoms can still attend but they aren't going to be chasing folk up for being off if they are a bit nervous and want to get confirmation from a doctor or a test. If parents don't understand or don't want to know the difference between Covid-19 symptoms and those of a cold or other virus then I'm not sure how it falls on the school office staff (who are not medically trained, and often have kids in the schools themselves) to hold their hands. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Back in my heyday I was known throughout the school as The one way w****r. 

Wore it with pride. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

What do these martyrs to the job do in the case that their child actually has the flu and is unwell for days in any other year?

A lot of them chuck their kids into school regardless. I've had pupils sit in front of me with the 'flu, colds, measles, slapped cheek.

I will stop short of calling it selfish, though - my parents were in the fortunate position when my sister and I were younger that a) my Gran didn't work and so was on hand for emergency childcare, and b) in the event of my Gran being ill herself my Mum / Dad could take the day off and still get paid. A lot of folk these days aren't in that position and taking the day off to care for a wean can be a day's wage lost - a lot of money if they're living on the breadline regardless.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that no school is actually requiring a test for 'a cold' but rather 'symptoms that are aligned with Covid'

Sorry, champ, but a couple of coughs is not a symptom of Covid. I've ignored the remainder of your post for that reason.

Don't let that get in the way of your bizarre obsession with schools being open, though.

Edited by Todd_is_God

34 minutes ago, Gaz said:

A lot of them chuck their kids into school regardless. I've had pupils sit in front of me with the 'flu, colds, measles, slapped cheek.

I will stop short of calling it selfish, though - my parents were in the fortunate position when my sister and I were younger that a) my Gran didn't work and so was on hand for emergency childcare, and b) in the event of my Gran being ill herself my Mum / Dad could take the day off and still get paid. A lot of folk these days aren't in that position and taking the day off to care for a wean can be a day's wage lost - a lot of money if they're living on the breadline regardless.

There may well be understandable reasons behind it but it is still selfish behaviour, those two points aren't contradictory. By looking after themselves they directly exposes the rest of their community to infection from a contagious disease, which simply should no longer be deemed socially acceptable behaviour given the events of this year. 

The bottom line is that kids get sick often and you should be prepared to account for that before you make the choice to have them and/or raise them. It is not the job of schools to act as infection holding pens while you continue doing the 9-5 slog. 

29 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Sorry, champ, but a couple of coughs is not a symptom of Covid. I've ignored the remainder of your post for that reason.

Don't let that get in the way of your bizarre obsession with schools being open, though.

Still white knighting for your ridiculous Twitter hero who can't get do his essential job of, err, writing pish for two weeks I see: perhaps you should follow his lead and pipe down for a while as well, you've had an absolute disaster here. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've no idea who this Kev Williamson is, so I've no idea how reliable he is, but six days ago we were given an appointment, with 8 hours notice, at the Edinburgh Airport testing centre. We were there for an hour and counted about four cars in all that time. Has testing increased so exponentially in six days that a person from Edinburgh now has to drive to Inverness to get a test?

I was at port Glasgow and Stirling one over weekend. Both were busy. We were in and out in half an hour though.

Theres now no testing available round here and mine and my daughters test results haven’t appeared. I’ve chased them three times. Can’t get rebooked nearby so I’ve ordered home kits.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Still white knighting for your ridiculous Twitter hero who can't get do his essential job of, err, writing pish for two weeks I see: perhaps you should follow his lead and pipe down for a while, you've had an absolute disaster here. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Hahaha.

I don't give two hoots about him. It was a good back up to the original point I made from a friend, which I'm sure you read. Anecdotes from fellow posters along the same lines validate it further too.

Good of you to acknowledge your weak position by bringing mr harriott out, though.

Spoiler

1308259935205.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

Clearly a key worker whose contribution to society must revolve around leaving the house everyday while his wean has a contagious disease. Fire him to the top of the priority list!
Trains even at peak commuter times are still dead. Odd time I've had to go in there is a fraction of the passengers there used to be. Given a lot of the passengers appeared to be shop workers or trades types I'm not sure what has happened to them. Students used to make up a big chunk too, interesting to see how many of those return to actual classes.

NS's refusal to answer the question about when she first became aware that Covid positive patients, no matter how often she is asked, and by whom, had been transferred from hospitals in to care homes is quite telling.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Kevin's having trouble keeping his story straight.

wed1.JPG.e12b14e38e79a1471b69b6b599faf2c2.JPG

wed2.JPG.327c7224cf0127171cf3cfea0111fbbe.JPG

wed3.JPG.66127d2e5d1c3485ec9a0bbc53678866.JPG

wed4.JPG.d35d034cd26204aa61e23eb103b33eca.JPG

wed5.JPG.882211c2259069b22569454184eb19ba.JPG

Seems oor Kev can't make up his mind if his kid's cough is persistent or not.

Almost like parts of the story might not be entirely true. In what is, I'm sure, a major shock to all concerned.

Is there a reason why these people can’t get the home test kits rather than driving to Inverness or wherever for an appointment? Have they run out of them or something?

Edited by Jambomo