Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Wife’s practice being overwhelmed by parents phoning up saying Schools are refusing to take their kid back because of non-covid related illness. Things like runny nose and other stuff that isnt on the symptoms list. The schools seem to be advising parents to phone the GP for a test when that isnt even remotely the guidance. Think some of the schools are at it. 

Ok looking for some advice (dangerous on here I know) since yesterday I have had a sore head feel flushed and a sore head. I take it I shouldn’t be going for a test as I have none of the symptoms or should I?

Well then theres an issue with the delivery of the message surely?

If the "message" is being so easily superseded by media wailing then it cant be that good.
The symptoms and procedures are absolutely clear. Parents are CHOOSING to ignore the message driven by media induced frenzy. Just look at the anecdotal evidence in this thread. Folk seem to be petrified that their precious wee one has caught the virus. The media seem hell bent on schools failing to remain open full time and are ramping up the rhetoric at every opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Wife’s practice being overwhelmed by parents phoning up saying Schools are refusing to take their kid back because of non-covid related illness. Things like runny nose and other stuff that isnt on the symptoms list. The schools seem to be advising parents to phone the GP for a test when that isnt even remotely the guidance. Think some of the schools are at it. 

Similar with my other half, although she reckons quite a lot of the parents are trying it on and claiming the school requires a test. They're fairly easy to bat away on the phone though.

11 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Similar with my other half, although she reckons quite a lot of the parents are trying it on and claiming the school requires a test. They're fairly easy to bat away on the phone though.

There probably is an element of that, but theres also some losing the rag because they’ve had a wrong steer from the schools. I understand the need for caution but requiring a negative test for someone who isnt symptomatic of covid is moronic. 

39 minutes ago, scmwell said:

Ok looking for some advice (dangerous on here I know) since yesterday I have had a sore head feel flushed and a sore head. I take it I shouldn’t be going for a test as I have none of the symptoms or should I?

Two sore heads? I’d seek expert medical advice for that.

44 minutes ago, scmwell said:

How many heads do you have? Are they both sore?

EDIT: f**k YOU @Scary Bear

Edited by Gaz

We seem to have the opposite problem - parents keeping their child off school against the school's advice.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Someone I know has put on twitter that they need to drive from Coatbridge to Inverness for their kid to get a test, as the time capsule in coatbridge is fully booked. The other option is they all stay home for 14 days. That clearly isn't sustainable.

Bearing in mind that ~1% of all tests are coming back positive, something has gone very wrong with the messaging for so many people to be seeking tests.

On top of that, the SG must have envisaged parents wanting to get their kids tested for anything and everything (especially with JL saying you should book a test immediately if you have any symptoms - kids cough all the time...). They've had 5 months to build the capacity, and clearly failed.

“Stay at home for 14 days”....or how about getting a test the next day?

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't know the ins and outs of getting tested tbh, can you book them for the following day?

Our youngest (8 months) daughter had a fever last Wednesday evening, that my wife and I noticed about 10:30pm. My wife immediately phoned the testing helpline and we got an appointment at 8am the next again morning at Edinburgh Airport.

Looks like a relatively common issue.

It needs sorting, though. We can't have situations where a school can dictate that whole families need to isolate until a negative test is returned (because they have decided they want to be overly cautious and send every child with the sniffles home), and then families cannot get a test locally that same day.

It's no use for the child, it's no use for the family, and it's no use for employers.

Edited by Todd_is_God

13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It never ceases to amaze me how wrong local authorities can get their public messaging. A cursory Google would tell you how to get a test and what constitutes a "persistent" cough.