Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There were 5 Covid deaths in the week ending 09 August, according to the Scottish Government's own stats - https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Presumably these deaths occurred after the 28 day cut off so aren't added to the total. 

And/Or deaths where no positive test was returned.

They represent 0.5% of all deaths in Scotland last week, and the lowest total of any week since W/E 22nd March.

The 2 hospital deaths could well be people who had been in for 29+ days. The 2 care home deaths more likely to be an assumption.

Edited by Todd_is_God

54 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

If this continues I can see gyms remaining shut until next spring. Once the flu season strikes the paranoia and scare mongering will be back to peak levels

Why only until spring

This thing will just go on and on

Why only until spring
This thing will just go on and on

Eventually attitudes will change the more people get fed up. Wait until a town or city is put back into lockdown for the 3rd or 4th time with the resulting mass cancellations of all preparations and plans not to mention the business and economic effects.
Oh no will be replaced with f**k off before long

You can only realistically expect compliance by consent. If someone doesn't want to comply with the regulations, it's nigh on impossible to stop them as things stand. It's now nearly 5 months we've had of it so hardly a shock people are fed up. The average age of new cases is coming down also, probably influenced by increasing boredom and a growing realisation that the virus in general carries a ow risk for young people that do not have pre-existing health conditions. 

I was on holiday in Nice last week (returned home as scheduled on Friday so no quarantine) where mask wearing is mandatory in a large chuck of central Nice (essentialy the entire tourist area). I'd put compliance at between 40-60% at any given time. Failure to comply carries a fine, although the police didn't give a shit about it. 

This is a bit of an extreme example as compulsory masks outside seems like overkill, but it's an illustration that it's easy to not comply with whatever restrictions are in place, especially if there is no enforcement. 

The UK quarantine is another good example. Unless you're a total idiot like Bolingoli, you can probably get away with ignoring it. This was a few weeks ago now, this article, but it does contain a salient point that still stands: 

news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-fines-handed-out-for-breaches-of-covid-19-quarantine-rules-12037423

Chairman of the National Police Chiefs' Council Martin Hewitt said the enforcement of the rules, which carries fines of up to £1,000, is primarily down to Border Force and public health authorities - but added that compliance with the rulings had been good.

In other words, this is not our problem and we don't really care. 

Somewhere like Manchester will be an interesting example if the restrictions there are lifted and then reimplemented. Can't imagine it will go down well at all. 

Some extension of furlough or direct support seems inevitable for the hospitality sector given the potential for localised lockdowns. 

Victoria, one of the first of gentrified bars here with quite an upmarket clientele that respects the restrictions has just shut for a confirmed case when it was dead on a Friday afternoon, boy got off a plane from Malta the day before the quarantine was announced for there to stop off for a glass of coke.  The other 'more traditional' bars are rammed at all times and doing a roaring trade.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

An interesting stat from Larry Elliot's Observer column today.

London, which accounts for more than a fifth of the UK’s national output, is a particular headache for the government. The latest research by Morgan Stanley shows that only 31% of London office workers are back at their desks, whereas in Paris, Madrid and Berlin the figure is 74%, 66% and 76% respectively.

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

There’s a report in the Sunday Post today that there were cases early in the outbreak of elderly patients being discharged into care homes after testing positive for the virus. This is in addition to elderly patients discharged from hospital to care homes without having been tested for the virus.

It shows how bad the alternatives are when the SG can literally “kill your granny” and they’ll (SNP) still win by an absolute landslide

There were 5 Covid deaths in the week ending 09 August, according to the Scottish Government's own stats - https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Presumably these deaths occurred after the 28 day cut off so aren't added to the total. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the planned relaxations quietly scrapped if the cases remain as they are either. We're probably nearing the point where alarmism is about to take over. 

England and Ireland both seem to be running ahead of us with restriction easing, and have a much higher number of new cases per day.

Ireland had 200 the other day, and it's population is less than ours. The whole of the uk had over 1000 new cases each day now, and that includes our relatively low totals.

I'm glad sturgeon is being cautious with us, but I've got less and less time for people who are gripped by fear these days. We need to get up and going, and learn to manage this as effectively as we can.

The downsides of our extended lockdown of the nhs and schools is going to take a bigger toll if we don't get things moving.

28 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

England and Ireland both seem to be running ahead of us with restriction easing, and have a much higher number of new cases per day.

Ireland had 200 the other day, and it's population is less than ours. The whole of the uk had over 1000 new cases each day now, and that includes our relatively low totals.

I'm glad sturgeon is being cautious with us, but I've got less and less time for people who are gripped by fear these days. We need to get up and going, and learn to manage this as effectively as we can.

The downsides of our extended lockdown of the nhs and schools is going to take a bigger toll if we don't get things moving.

You need to remember that all people have been talking about for 5 months now are Covid deaths, to the point that some people genuinely feel 1 death is unacceptable.

By the time the impact of restricting the NHS etc is showing significantly in terms of deaths, the constant updates on single cause deaths will have long since stopped, and these same people will be back to being blissfully unaware of how many people in total die per day, and instead being enraged by or sympathetic to whatever the hot topic of the day is then. More than likely something to do with Brexit / immigration.

You might find this paper interesting

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3635548

Furlough payments have stopped in other countries.

Nothing to do with furlough payments. This is talking about office workers where working from home has become the norm. Note that very few City desk jobs were furloughed.

WFH has caught on in the UK a lot more so than continental Europe. It may be part of the reason that we are yet to see a full blown second wave like France, Spain and Germany have in recent weeks

It shows how bad the alternatives are when the SG can literally “kill your granny” and they’ll (SNP) still win by an absolute landslide
And here was me thinking it was the local NHS trusts that were discharging patients and I come on here and discover it was the govt themselves that were discharging them. Every days a school day right enough.

On 14/08/2020 at 22:51, Detournement said:

There's loads of valid reasons for not wearing one.

Legally you can't ask people to prove they are disabled or deny them a service if they are disabled. 99% of people in indoor public places where they are required are wearing them.

Not in my experience - I reckon about 20% weren't wearing them in Tesco on Saturday. I just give them a dirty look (probably not very effective as I'm wearing a mask).