Coronavirus (COVID-19)

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Good to see England recognising that it's over by easing more lockdown measures from tomorrow.

Another reminder for NS that, whether she likes it or not, the JRS is ending on 31st October.

Hopefully it shows everyone that we need to govern ourselves. 

My view is NS is trying to take a New Zealand type approach where maximum  eradication is priority no.1 and she’s trying to be on the front foot to keep it down. 

While BJ and the rest have accepted prevention is impossible and are prioritising the economy but following up infections on a more reactive basis. 

I suppose time will tell the least worst chosen path. 

I think I started learning French when I was in Primary 6, for an hour a week. As with everyone else I learned the big phrases, how to say various kinds of weather and my name and nothing remotely actually conversational.

High school I still did French, some people coming from other schools did Italian instead. At Standard Grade you could do one or two of them, or you could do Classics instead. I picked French, but I should have done Classics. French was largely pointless for me and even moreso for some of the other bangers in my class. I've no doubt that people who learn other languages are smarter and that it's easier from a younger age, but it just wasn't for me. I think the structure of secondary education makes it difficult for languages to have any impact if there's been little or nothing meaningful at primary level.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

My view is NS is trying to take a New Zealand type approach where maximum  eradication is priority no.1 and she’s trying to be on the front foot to keep it down. 
While BJ and the rest have accepted prevention is impossible and are prioritising the economy but following up infections on a more reactive basis. 

Isn’t it impossible to do the former when you’re tethered geographically and politically to the latter

10 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think I started learning French when I was in Primary 6, for an hour a week. As with everyone else I learned the big phrases, how to say various kinds of weather and my name and nothing remotely actually conversational.

High school I still did French, some people coming from other schools did Italian instead. At Standard Grade you could do one or two of them, or you could do Classics instead. I picked French, but I should have done Classics. French was largely pointless for me and even moreso for some of the other bangers in my class. I've no doubt that people who learn other languages are smarter and that it's easier from a younger age, but it just wasn't for me. I think the structure of secondary education makes it difficult for languages to have any impact if there's been little or nothing meaningful at primary level.

An hour a week is not worth bothering with imo. My problem with learning languages by school lessons was the utter boredom of it. Jean Claude walks to the park. Learning to translate Harry Potter into Cantonese might be a better idea if it didn't make the mad woman even richer, and it would certainly fire up these wee brain cells.

27 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

She is. However the last few days in NZ have shown that you just can't hide away from a virus forever.

#ZeroCovid sounds good. But in reality it's an unachievable, unsustainable pipe dream.

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

An hour a week is not worth bothering with imo. My problem with learning languages by school lessons was the utter boredom of it. Jean Claude walks to the park. Learning to translate Harry Potter into Cantonese might be a better idea if it didn't make the mad woman even richer, and it would certainly fire up these wee brain cells.

I'd say something similar about coding and programming. I think the first time I saw it in a classroom I must have been 13 or 14. I tell the teacher I don't know what I'm doing and she says JUST TELL IT WHAT YOU WANT IT TO DO and, well, there goes my future earning potential. 

2 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

When we can't grasp the tense system in our own language, the chances of learning another language is significantly reduced. 

Not sure if you're having a go at someone above for a slip, but I'd certainly agree, at adult level at least. When you're young you just soak a language up as a package but it's far more difficult as an adult without a solid knowledge of grammar rules and nomenclature, which I was barely taught at all. Did an English teaching course in Spain where pupils are intensively taught the linguistics at school without any of the required pronunciation, so teaching adults in practice classes was a nightmare, they kept asking what tense I was talking about and I didn't have a clue, even when I could understand what they were aspirating about.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure if you're having a go at someone above for a slip, but I'd certainly agree, at adult level at least. When you're young you just soak a language up as a package but it's far more difficult as an adult without a solid knowledge of grammar rules and nomenclature, which I was barely taught at all. Did an English teaching course in Spain where pupils are intensively taught the linguistics at school without any of the required pronunciation, so teaching adults in practice classes was a nightmare, they kept asking what tense I was talking about and I didn't have a clue, even when I could understand what they were aspirating about.

Wasn't having a go at anyone. As someone who only got a C Higher in English I'm not qualified to have a pop. Was simply an observation