Coronavirus (COVID-19)

that list of pubs is like the whole of aberdeen and its surrounding villages, yeesh.
It's a good illustration of the potential for the virus to suddenly gain traction again. Now reliant on alot of people doing the right thing and self isolating for two weeks. Can only hope.

f**k going to a pub anytime soon

23 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think what these results show is that overestimating grades is not the issue but how the exam system is biased towards schools who are more equipped to have pupils study for the exam. And that exams are now used as a gatekeeper to re-inforce class differences and "the attainment gap".  If you look at the tables the poor students were still predicted to do less well than rich students.

The real scandal here is that every year the poorest students are failed by an exam system that underestimates their ability by around 20%. Obviously the SQA and the Scottish Govt are not going to admit their exams are materially flawed so we instead have a fudging of figures to make themselves look credible.

Over-estimating grades was an acute problem in this instance.

The attainment gap is  a pretty universal problem across every country and has been for a long time. It is incredibly difficult, verging on potentially impossible, to solve.

Like it or not, exams are a measure of ability, imperfect though they will always be. The ability gap is real. Where poorer students will be underestimated is more likely their potential.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Well done the toothless gadges that frequent it.

Tbf Jakeball bars are unlikely to be on any list. Their regulars won't venture anywhere else, and randoms sure as hell aren't going in!

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Tbf Jakeball bars are unlikely to be on any list. Their regulars won't venture anywhere else, and randoms sure as hell aren't going in!

Plenty jakeball pubs on the list and also plenty upmarket pubs the rowan tree is called martins pub nowadays

Edited by doulikefish

14 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Allowing teachers to mark work over the year and produce a grade vastly reduced the attainment gap this year.

No, allowing teachers to mark work over the year produced vastly inflated  grades bearing no reality to the historic pass rates. Some bits of completed in-class coursework does not demonstrate knowledge of the entire course.

Then they remodeled those results to re-inforce that gap because pupils in poorer areas were not being disadvantaged by the exam system.

Well actually they still were under your misrepresentation of the data, as the pass rate in the lowest SIMD group was still substantially lower than in the top. The SQA simply adjusted all of these nonsense predictions to the historical mean, chucking in an extra 2% or so of passes as a sop to the injustice of the situation. 

Perhaps forcing pupils into a controlled environment is the problem and that demonstration of knowledge is better done over continuous assessment and teaching. And that the exam system puts too much stock in a single test. And that is why pupils from poorer areas score lower despite their course work being closer to the same standard as affluent schools.

I'm not a fan of big end of year exams but the reason why the SQA still depends on them is that teachers and schools have huge motivations to game the system wherever possible. When I was in high school during the mid-2000s (at a bottom quintile school by the SIMD incidentally) the teachers were openly directing lessons towards the prelim questions for weeks in advance and the NABs were treated as a running joke with no semblance of control whatsoever. There is no way for the SQA as an external body to reliably control for schools giving their students excessive support with a coursework-only assessment model. You can't send in invigilators to a statistically significant number of schools every single day to ensure that everything is on the level. And whatever trust that they might have put in the schools to provide results in good faith has pretty much just been trashed by the nonsense grade predictions given in the wake of this pandemic. 

Students would also be in for a major shock when they rock up at university in your alternative as the final year exam is even more deeply entrenched in certain subject areas there than it is at Higher level. 

Edited by vikingTON

Guest JTS98

What I still find bizarre is the number of people saying

'my mum was up there visiting her sister last week'

or

'I went up to Aberdeen yesterday to visit family'

Why? Why was anybody voluntarily going anywhere? Madness.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

What I still find bizarre is the number of people saying

'my mum was up there visiting her sister last week'

or

'I went up to Aberdeen yesterday to visit family'

Why? Why was anybody voluntarily going anywhere? Madness.

Whit

We aren't in mid March. We've been told all these things are OK to do here now.

14 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Over-estimating grades was an acute problem in this instance.

The attainment gap is  a pretty universal problem across every country and has been for a long time. It is incredibly difficult, verging on potentially impossible, to solve.

Like it or not, exams are a measure of ability, imperfect though they will always be. The ability gap is real. Where poorer students will be underestimated is more likely their potential.

Many exams are actually a test of rote memorisation with little need to actually apply knowledge. And many richer students are better at memorisation because they have more time and help to do it.

I was thinking back on my higher english and how students were expected to produce an essay on a piece of art or litreature but were not able to have the text or notes to hand. Tough luck for the kid that knows what Macbeth was about but struggles to commit to memory Lady Macbeth's sililoquay.

it seems like those who admit exams are an imperfect measure of ability are happy with that status quo as long as it is the bottom of society that is being disadvantaged.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Whit

We aren't in mid March. We've been told all these things are OK to do here now.

Aye. How's that working out?

Are those who achieved highers this year going to have an * next to their results, in regards to potential emoloyers and universities looking at applicants. I feel for the pupils in life and I was one who done just enough in class to get by then knuckle down for the exam. The SQA are going to get criticised either way, impossible situation they have been put in

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Seems to be going well in Scotland aside from a few boozers in Aberdeen.

Your question was why was anyone voluntarily going anywhere. I answered that.

Hasn't been watching the news, imo.