Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I don't understand what you mean here. My point is that the SQA appear to have arbitrality decided how many As, Bs, Cs and Ds each school should have had. Therefore the actual grades the teachers predicted are (or should be) less important than the ranking that the teacher gave out. If a teacher chose to give everyone As then yes more students would be bumped down, and if a teacher chose to give everyone Ds then more students would be bumped up.
However, even if you choose to disagree with me on that, there is still absolutely no evidence to support the initial nonsense point of view that "the blame here lies squarely with the teachers in traditionally poorer performing schools who saw it as an opportunity to raise that schools profile by submitting over inflated grades and thus screwing their few over performing pupils in the process". That is quote I was specifically taking issue with.
Unless I have misread the documents about the process, there is no reason that a teacher being overconfident in the grades of mid-ranking students should affect the grades of the very clearly excellent students.
How then can you explain the huge rise in passes before the adjustments kicked in ? It just doesn't make sense or are we supposed to accept that the very year a pandemic caused exams to be cancelled just coincidentally saw a "golden generation " across Scotland who were going to obliterate all pass records ?

Does this affect people who have travelled to Aberdeen recently? My wife's parents were up there last week visiting my wife's sister.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Plan is still to shove hundreds of people into schools next week in Aberdeen but you can't go next door for a cup of tea?

It really is mental.

Two next-door neighbours could have four or five kids between them who spend 8 hours a day together but the parents can't spend time together as you say.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
I don't understand what you mean here. My point is that the SQA appear to have arbitrality decided how many As, Bs, Cs and Ds each school should have had. Therefore the actual grades the teachers predicted are (or should be) less important than the ranking that the teacher gave out. If a teacher chose to give everyone As then yes more students would be bumped down, and if a teacher chose to give everyone Ds then more students would be bumped up.
However, even if you choose to disagree with me on that, there is still absolutely no evidence to support the initial nonsense point of view that "the blame here lies squarely with the teachers in traditionally poorer performing schools who saw it as an opportunity to raise that schools profile by submitting over inflated grades and thus screwing their few over performing pupils in the process". That is quote I was specifically taking issue with.
Unless I have misread the documents about the process, there is no reason that a teacher being overconfident in the grades of mid-ranking students should affect the grades of the very clearly excellent students.

How then can you explain the huge rise in passes before the adjustments kicked in ? It just doesn't make sense or are we supposed to accept that the very year a pandemic caused exams to be cancelled just coincidentally saw a "golden generation " across Scotland who were going to obliterate all pass records ?

This has already been discussed above, but regardless of how you want to explain it, your original point about the teachers screwing over the best students is not valid.

Just now, Gaz said:

Does this affect people who have travelled to Aberdeen recently? My wife's parents were up there last week visiting my wife's sister.

Possibly.  The cluster started on Sunday July 26.  

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Depends if they have been in one of the pubs - if so be extra vigilant for symptoms if not dod on as per the restrictions where they stay.  

It really is mental.
Two next-door neighbours could have four or five kids between them who spend 8 hours a day together but the parents can't spend time together as you say.

Be interesting to see how much compliance and enforcement there is, the 5 mile rule is only a guideline and was widely ignored last time round. Much like the first lockdown people will get scunnered and just say f**k it and do what they like

Almost 5,000 new people tested is a very large number as well. Someone on here mentioned yesterday that the testing centre was bouncing, so it maybe should not be a huge surprise that cases were identified.

7 days is a sensible review period, though the cynic in me feels that if the schools were going back in more than 7 days, that review period would be longer.

I understand the reason for using such stark language, but a small number of cases shows that it's contageous (we knew that), but does not alone prove that the virus is "very dangerous"

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This has already been discussed above, but regardless of how you want to explain it, your original point about the teachers screwing over the best students is not valid.

If the teachers/schools/local authorities had done their jobs correctly by providing credible grade projections then there would have been no need for the SQA to do a mass smackdown of grades at the 11th hour. But they didn't and so here we are.

Interesting point from NS about people moving from pub to pub on a night out.

This is an unfortunate by-product of bars operating a 2 hour time limit on booked tables, leaving no option to move elsewhere.

Not sure the best approach for tackling that, beyond binning the ability to book tables.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

This is an unfortunate by-product of bars operating a 2 hour time limit on booked tables, leaving no option to move elsewhere.

Not sure the best approach for tackling that, beyond binning the ability to book tables.

I said as much on the pubwatch thread that the 'rules' have been written by folk who have never actually been to a pub in their lives. What did they expect people to do, have a few pints at 2 on a Saturday afternoon and then go back to the house because their allocated time was up?

Edited by vikingTON

I haven't encountered a 2hr limit anywhere and the queues outside venues that sparked fears of this in Aberdeen at the weekend suggests they were not operating that policy either. Clubs being shut and SD restrictions reducing capacity is driving massive demand on pubs that normally wouldn't see it. I went out Fri to watch Galway races in a local racing type pub. By 9.00 it was packed with a young crowd that would never be near such a place as there is so few places they can go (apparently other pubs in the town were already full, it was last resort stuff).

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Does this mean Aberdeen won’t be able to play next weekend or does the testing exempt them from it?

You can travel for work purposes, and I suppose the team will be effectively 'working'. They've also been tested twice a week, so I'd guess it'll go ahead. But a decision from someone will be needed