Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

How do we think pubs will react to a restriction in Aberdeen? Will other pubs tighten up their social distancing or will everyone just moan?

Aberdeen for a night out is the best town/city in Scotland in my opinion. 

Just a random, barely relevant observation. 

To be fair, in among all the gammons there's usually a fair amount of support for Sturgeon on Twitter. Knives seem to be out tonight.
I clicked on a selection of the profiles and it seemed to be the usual #SNPout / Brexit / Scottish AND British / RFC brigade.

Is there any possible outcome of the exam results that wouldn't have sent unionists into an impotent frenzy?

A. No

B. Nope

C. Absolutely not.

D. All of the above.

Spoiler

The correct answer is D. All of the above.

Edited by Gordon EF

31 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Surely these folk don't want the government interfering with the setting of grades by an independent body?

If it can be shown that discrimatory practices were used to lower grades of a certain demographic then I would certainly want the government to ensure this is thoroughly investigated. 

I’ve not read all of the posts on the results. The grades were created using -

• Evidence of pupil achievement including progress as the year went on.
  • Estimated grades, then bands within the grades.
  • Futher bands within the usual bands 1-8.
  • Ranking pupils in order within these new bands.
  • Schools’ previous record for accuracy (or lack of) for estimates In the past.

The final one would be done by the SQA. The other four were done by the teaching staff., and was a lengthy procedure.

As for appeals, they’ll probably be done the way that the old appeals were (before the “request a re-mark” was introduced)  - 

• Check the evidence submitted was marked correctly 
  • Check the evidence was sufficiently challenging enough to be useful as evidence.
  • if either of these were not met, deny the appeal (or in rare cases of really crap evidence, lower the grade).

If the evidence doesn’t back up the grade being asked for, there would be no point sending it in, even though it’s free this year.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:
43 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:
To be fair, in among all the gammons there's usually a fair amount of support for Sturgeon on Twitter. Knives seem to be out tonight.

I clicked on a selection of the profiles and it seemed to be the usual #SNPout / Brexit / Scottish AND British / RFC brigade.

Aye, it's 80% middle aged women with the tag lines like "Proudly Scottish, fiercely British, mummy to three wonderful angels (dogs)".

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If it can be shown that discrimatory practices were used to lower grades of a certain demographic then I would certainly want the government to ensure this is thoroughly investigated. 

Well.... yes. I think any sane person would agree with that. There is no suggestion whatsoever that that is what happened though.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Well.... yes. I think any sane person would agree with that. There is no suggestion whatsoever that that is what happened though.

Given there seem to be numerous examples of young people with similar evidence being given different gradings by the SQA based on their schools prior results I would tend to disagree. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all.

I just find it sadly predictable that Union Twitter seem to think that Wee Krankie personally chucked everyone down a couple of grade boundaries.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all.

I just find it sadly predictable that Union Twitter seem to think that Wee Krankie personally chucked everyone down a couple of grade boundaries.

Don’t disagree at all! The downside of actually criticising something the SNP is involved in means you’re siding with those type of people who just jump on the bandwagon and don’t care about the issue at hand whatsoever. 

Though the SNP can do no wrong Twitter types are quite infuriating too. 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Surely these folk don't want the government interfering with the setting of grades by an independent body?

The government absolutely should be getting involved in this process given the tone deaf and arrogant way the "independent body" has handled itself here. Refusing to make their methodology public until after the grades came out is indefensible, as is completely stonewalling legitimate concerns raised by headteachers, teachers, students and MSPs about how their planned approach would disproportionately affect bright pupils from deprived areas. Given that those concerns later proved to be right on the money, I would expect any government to be launching an investigation into it, not brass necking it in the way that Sturgeon and Swinney did today.

Sturgeon grew up in Dreghorn and went to Greenwood Academy, for f**k's sake. She would have been in exactly the position of some of these students who have been fucked over purely on the basis of their school's previous performance.

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Given there seem to be numerous examples of young people with similar evidence being given different gradings by the SQA based on their schools prior results I would tend to disagree. 

Yes, but that's an entirely different thing that deciding to lower the grades of a certain demographic though, isn't it?

After the absolute calamity of the last 5 months, exam results was not anywhere near the top of my list of things that I thought would turn people against NS & the SNP

How do they turn this around? They've stood at a Covid briefing, where NS normally point blank refuses to entertain anything remotely steering itself away from Covid chat, and defended the results.

Edited by Todd_is_God

When I sat my Highers in *cough* 1989 we were given past papers from the mid 70s to practice on and they seemed a damn sight harder than the exams we were about to sit.

It may be I'm a grumpy old gammon but with all these super duper clever whizz kids of the generation that followed me getting straight As every year I'd be curious how they would get on sitting the exams I sat.

Mind you the Modern Studies paper I sat (I got an A, get it up ye) would now be a Modern History exam