Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

They might have done, depending on whether or not they had access to healthcare that might have prolonged their life.

Your apparant position of "it's doesn't really matter if people on the shielding list die, so long as we really try to ensure those not on the shielding list don't" is a bit strange.

People die every day "before they had to" the only difference is we don't take drastic measures to try to prevent them.

On top of that, with the average age of Covid-19 victims in Scotland being above the average life expectancy, the "dying before their time" argument applies to very few people anyway.

You're deliberately misrepresenting my position and underpaying the severity of CV at the time. I don't have time for this just now

Edited by madwullie

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

You're deliberately misrepresenting my position and underpaying the severity of CV at the time

In what way?

None of what I said there is untrue

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 hours ago, superbigal said:

Went to Kingsway Farm (Mainly for the cakes). They have no restrictions and no limits (Apart from Alcohol) on the deal. So a genuine 50% of what you spend. Pre ordered and paid on the App but still then able to take all the bakery stuff home. Decent covid set up as well to be fair.

So bill £70 (All steaks)and paid £35. They get the full £30 from govt so in effect £65.

A decent business model I suggest boosting income. r.

Was there 3 of you?

No I'm saying it made little sense to use the nuclear option to prevent the most vulnerable people dying, when it's clear those people have continued to die anyway, potentially having spent less time with their family as a result.
Let's assume for a second that, rather than of any other cause, all 5,000 of those shielding people instead died of Covid-19
Does that really make a difference? Is that suddenly a scandal?
The narrative is that the lockdown and shielding saved lives, meaning that the job losses and recession were worth it. What has really happened is the people most likely to die have continued dying of something else instead, but because we only focus on and announce deaths from Covid-19 each day then it's being viewed as effective.
What you're saying, and have been saying for some time,is

"I've chosen to believe those articles and graphs which tell me that I, personally, am at little or no risk of harm from this virus. Therefore, I should now be allowed to resume my vastly important life as it was before March, and fưck everybody else."

A selfish, misanthropic point of view which frankly leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

What you're saying, and have been saying for some time,is

"I've chosen to believe those articles and graphs which tell me that I, personally, am at little or no risk of harm from this virus. Therefore, I should now be allowed to resume my vastly important life as it was before March, and fưck everybody else."

A selfish, misanthropic point of view which frankly leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

“f**k everybody else”

Give it a rest. This virus is harmless to the vast, vast majority of people who get it.

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No I'm saying it made little sense to use the nuclear option to prevent the most vulnerable people dying, when it's clear those people have continued to die anyway, potentially having spent less time with their family as a result.

Let's assume for a second that, rather than of any other cause, all 5,000 of those shielding people instead died of Covid-19

Does that really make a difference? Is that suddenly a scandal?

The narrative is that the lockdown and shielding saved lives, meaning that the job losses and recession were worth it. What has really happened is the people most likely to die have continued dying of something else instead, but because we only focus on and announce deaths from Covid-19 each day then it's being viewed as effective.

You really are truly awful. 

I was going to say that I fail to understand the thinking behind your interpretation of information but in truth I understand it perfectly. You have formulated an opinion - the virus isn't as dangerous as it's been presented and the lockdown measures are excessive and/or not required at all - and boy you are going to rigidly stick to that no matter what. 

Of course people who were shielding have died. And yes, of course, many of those deaths weren't related to Covid-19. They were shielding for a reason. Are you seriously suggesting though that shielding didn't save lives? That it didn't help prevent those most vulnerable from contracting the virus which could have reduced further their health and/or brought their life to a premature end? 

12 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

The "half price meals" slogan was purely to make the Chancellor look like Jesus getting the takeaway order in at Bethsaida

Aren't they the folk that did Skyrim?

On that note, I see that the teaching profession and the SQA have concluded a highly rigorous assessment cycle for 19/20 that saw pass rates jump by an astonishing 3-5% across the board in a single year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53636296
Clearly we have a golden intellectual cohort on our hands; either that or it's a shameless attempt at grade inflation to improve schools' performance and keep whinging parents off everyone's backs. In the absence of any exams though, I guess that we'll just never know*. 

Spoiler

We really do though.

Going by the Daily Briefing you have misread the room here.

The journo cabal line seems to be outrage at the SQA actually DOWNGRADING 20% of all the original submissions. Not even the merest eyebrow raising at the increase in passes.

I don’t think employees can be refurloughed anymore so I think any localised measures will be very similar to the ones currently in Greater Manchester and areas of Northern England - pretty please don’t visit anyone or travel outside of your local area unless you have to. But do go to restaurants and feel free to fly abroad.