Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, virginton said:
How are Leicester-style 'local lockdowns' going to work when the furlough scheme starts to taper off between August and October? The only thing underwriting this solution is the government agreeing to pay people not to work for an indefinite period of time and there's no indication that this is going to continue.

I'm not sure the Leicester restrictions include not going to work ?

If you work in a sector that has been forced to close again then it absolutely does.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Don’t know if this is just an Ayrshire thing as we’re full of manky tinks here, but the abundance of used face masks lying on the streets is a fcking disgrace. Ayr yesterday was full of them and Girvan today. It’s  one thing dropping litter but dropping used face masks is low 😖

Noticed that myself,  mainly near bus stops and shops. 

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Now we have a far better understanding of how the virus spreads and how to nip it in the bud, lockdowns won't be "to stop the nhs being overwhelmed" - if we let it get to that case we'll have failed. 

To be fair the fact the NHS was in danger of being overwhelmed was already a failure. If it is in danger of being overwhelmed again that would be criminal. 

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Don’t know if this is just an Ayrshire thing as we’re full of manky tinks here, but the abundance of used face masks lying on the streets is a fcking disgrace. Ayr yesterday was full of them and Girvan today. It’s  one thing dropping litter but dropping used face masks is low emoji37.png

I've been out and about in Troon, Irvine, Prestwick and Ayr and not really noticed this. I have a washable fabric mask collection and a lot of folk I see have similar, way cheaper in the long run too.

I walked up Ayr high street and saw about 10 of them. Fcking disgusting. Yip me too, I have a few fabric ones (the Ayr United one is a beauty). I’d say going in and out of various shops yesterday the majority of people I saw had the disposable ones. Personally I think they look clinical for my liking 

58 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

To be fair the fact the NHS was in danger of being overwhelmed was already a failure. If it is in danger of being overwhelmed again that would be criminal. 

I think we now have a contingency plan in place. The biggest failure was not having it place before the outbreak. 

An even bigger failure would be not learning from the previous failure. 

We live and learn. 

4 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Well that's me quarantined for 2 weeks from Thursday. Thank Christ I'm starting my new job working from home. Although I wouldn't have come if I'd been due to start in the office

Why is that? If you've caught Covid please post a daily update right up until you see the white light at the end of the tunnel. Apparently wifi doesn't work after that.

Oh, best wishes etc..

The decision made last night to ensure those returning from Spain have to quarantine for 14 days, in my opinion, has been made by the Spanish Government and not UK / Scottish Gov.  I believe that there has been growing unrest in Spanish tourist spots popular with holiday makers from the UK (much as there is unease with people from English cities, where the R rate is over 1, coming to the highlands - although I would imagine that a family visiting from Leicester are likely to be more responsible than a plane load of "Brits" on a pissed up stagger) 

This may well be presented to the public as a decision made in London (with Edinburgh left with no choice but follow suit) but I feel it's been dictated by Spain - can we expect the Spanish PM to say that they will veto any bid from Scotland to join the EU as part of the deal? 

11 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I've been out and about in Troon, Irvine, Prestwick and Ayr and not really noticed this. I have a washable fabric mask collection and a lot of folk I see have similar, way cheaper in the long run too.

Living the dream...

11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I walked up Ayr high street and saw about 10 of them. Fcking disgusting. Yip me too, I have a few fabric ones (the Ayr United one is a beauty). I’d say going in and out of various shops yesterday the majority of people I saw had the disposable ones. Personally I think they look clinical for my liking 

In hot weather, the clinical ones are much better IMO - the cloth ones make it too hard to breathe.  We've been in the compulsory mask stage for about 4 months and the cloth ones were popular at first but slowly most people have moved over to the surgical ones as they are more comfortable.  

Guest JTS98
3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'm in Spain mate!

Shit, mate. 

Have you been given any nuts and bolts instructions? Is it just straight off the plane and back home? What about getting food in etc? 

I’m not up on what this actually involves. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

The decision made last night to ensure those returning from Spain have to quarantine for 14 days, in my opinion, has been made by the Spanish Government and not UK / Scottish Gov.  I believe that there has been growing unrest in Spanish tourist spots popular with holiday makers from the UK (much as there is unease with people from English cities, where the R rate is over 1, coming to the highlands - although I would imagine that a family visiting from Leicester are likely to be more responsible than a plane load of "Brits" on a pissed up stagger) 

This may well be presented to the public as a decision made in London (with Edinburgh left with no choice but follow suit) but I feel it's been dictated by Spain - can we expect the Spanish PM to say that they will veto any bid from Scotland to join the EU as part of the deal? 

Utter pish

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

In hot weather, the clinical ones are much better IMO - the cloth ones make it too hard to breathe.  We've been in the compulsory mask stage for about 4 months and the cloth ones were popular at first but slowly most people have moved over to the surgical ones as they are more comfortable.  

I find the cloth ones more comfortable and a closer fit, the clinical ones are much looser and and you have to keep adjusting them. The downside is the cloth ones are ok for protecting other people but not much good for protecting you from them. Mind you it hasn't been very hot here. These are really comfy and let you breathe easily in Scottish weather.

https://www.ffsbshop.co.uk/

19 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Shit, mate. 

Have you been given any nuts and bolts instructions? Is it just straight off the plane and back home? What about getting food in etc? 

I’m not up on what this actually involves. 

You're supposed to stay in one place and only leave the house if you need to for essentials, but I don't think there's any follow up to check, other than maybe a random phone call if you're unlucky.