Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No new deaths today, which means none in the last week. Great news.

Only 1 death in the previous 15 days perhaps highlights how out of touch with reality the "OMG Craaaaaaazy" comments on facebook about someone daring to plan for potentially holding an event more than five months away are.

Second wave by then though...  they’ve been saying that since May so probably the fifth wave 

Edited by Thereisalight..

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Second wave by then though...  they’ve been saying that since May so probably the fifth wave 

I don't think it's ridiculous to say it probably wouldn't be able to go ahead as 100% normal.

But it's odd to me to recoil in horror at the thought of it going ahead at all.

It's scary how many people seem to believe their kids are going to die if they go back to school. I say this a lot but I do mean it when I say it must be dreadful to live so crippled by fear like that. But, at the same time, these people don't help themselves either.

I did suspect this year to primarily be a write off for large gatherings.

I do think there will be added pressure due to the flu at the time so I understand their concerns over having Hogmanay celebrations etc. But I’d like to think they’ll revisit this in the next month or 2.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I did suspect this year to primarily be a write off for large gatherings.

I do think there will be added pressure due to the flu at the time so I understand their concerns over having Hogmanay celebrations etc. But I’d like to think they’ll revisit this in the next month or 2.

My personal view is that the main goal remains a school return. If that goes smoothly enough without too much of a spike then I'd expect everything else to follow suit pretty quickly.  Even if it is just limited gym slots pre booked and season ticket holders only at games initially. 

Edited by PWL

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

My personal view is that the main goal remains a school return. If that goes smoothly enough without too much of a spike then I'd expect everything else to follow suit pretty quickly.  Even if it is just limited gym slots pee booked it season ticket holders only at games initially. 

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

My personal view is that the main goal remains a school return. If that goes smoothly enough without too much of a spike then I'd expect everything else to follow suit pretty quickly.  Even if it is just limited gym slots pee booked it season ticket holders only at games initially. 

That sounds good in theory, until you realise there would be an almost capacity crowd at Ibrox & Parkhead, with other clubs barely allowed anyone in.

Ground capacities need to be decided universally.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That sounds good in theory, until you realise there would be an almost capacity crowd at Ibrox & Parkhead, with other clubs barely allowed anyone in.

It's more the traceabilty aspect I'd read.  No idea will be fool proof though. 

No new deaths today, which means none in the last week. Great news.
Only 1 death in the previous 15 days perhaps highlights how out of touch with reality the "OMG Craaaaaaazy" comments on facebook about someone daring to plan for potentially holding an event more than five months away are.

What the Scottish Government is doing seems to be working.

I’m ever more inclined to listen to them then.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

A reduced capacity at, say Fir Park or McDermaid Park will probably allow 100% of season ticket holders in. In fact for most of the league that will be the case.

Very obviously, reduced capacity at Ibrox and Parkhead will mean season ticket holders not getting in.

The above is just something they'll need to deal with, but I've been around long enough to know there's no prospect the old firm being treated in a way that would hinder them in comparison to the other sides. I'm not sure we'll see reduced capacity games in Scotland and we may have to wait quite some time to go to games yet.

3 hours ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

Fear and lies is the main weapon they have, their ace card to pensioners is “what about your state pension” (it works if you look at the voting demographics). They fail to mention that if you have paid into the system then the UK govt are legally obliged to pay it, that’s why Benidorm Brits can enjoy their UK pension while lying  on a Spanish beach or Bondi  beach, or wherever else.

This exact point is what swayed my sister to vote "No". She's a retired Deputy Headmistress. An educated nd otherwise sensible woman.

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

What the Scottish Government is doing seems to be working.

I’m ever more inclined to listen to them then.

You know you can both listen to them and plan for things that may be possible in five months without losing your mind?

A reduced capacity at, say Fir Park or McDermaid Park will probably allow 100% of season ticket holders in. In fact for most of the league that will be the case.
Very obviously, reduced capacity at Ibrox and Parkhead will mean season ticket holders not getting in.
The above is just something they'll need to deal with, but I've been around long enough to know there's no prospect the old firm being treated in a way that would hinder them in comparison to the other sides. I'm not sure we'll see reduced capacity games in Scotland and we may have to wait quite some time to go to games yet.
FTOF serves the glory hunting dicks right that can't get in.

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's scary how many people seem to believe their kids are going to die if they go back to school. I say this a lot but I do mean it when I say it must be dreadful to live so crippled by fear like that. But, at the same time, these people don't help themselves either.

I seriously doubt that's a widely held sentiment right now: instead it's 'Nicola better get the schools open on time fur ma weans cos I cannae be expected to look after them'. There's no basis for prioritising that on public health grounds though and if Inverclyde is anything to go by then the logistical issues of having everything (including school bus transport etc.) in place for an August 11th start looks unrealistic anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You know you can both listen to them and plan for things that may be possible in five months without losing your mind?

Personally, I don't see anyone losing their mind. What I have mainly seen is people reacting to things that involve them directly, whose circumstances I don't know, nor do I need to know.

I said weeks ago I have tried not to judge how anyone has reacted to the whole pandemic, perhaps others might want to think about doing the same. Especially you.

7 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Personally, I don't see anyone losing their mind. What I have mainly seen is people reacting to things that involve them directly, whose circumstances I don't know, nor do I need to know.

I said weeks ago I have tried not to judge how anyone has reacted to the whole pandemic, perhaps others might want to think about doing the same. Especially you.

There is no reason for the utter fear in the majority of these replies.

I seriously doubt that's a widely held sentiment right now: instead it's 'Nicola better get the schools open on time fur ma weans cos I cannae be expected to look after them'. There's no basis for prioritising that on public health grounds though and if Inverclyde is anything to go by then the logistical issues of having everything (including school bus transport etc.) in place for an August 11th start looks unrealistic anyway. 
She needs to get the schools reopened as it's time for them to go back. Nothing to do with childcare, the summer holidays will be over, they have already missed a term ergo it's time to get them back to full time education by hook or by crook. Anyone who thinks that isn't a good viable idea is a moron. If it's not the teachers it's the parents with you. Oh and I'm more convinced by the week you are a Janny !!!

They can catch up over the rest of the year with weekend classes and fewer holidays, so education attainment isn't affected. There's not much to suggest that local authorities and schools are equipped to have everyone back in a classroom from barely three weeks' time and so this shouldn't be jammed through to placate parents who just want their state babysitter back as usual.