Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
It's a convenient excuse to continue shitting the bed tbh.
It's gone from being "unlikely to return in the next school year" to the priority in the space of, what, 4 weeks?
The Tories get rightly criticised for spouting clear BS to suit their narrative at any given time. The SNP seem to get a free pass to do the same.

Prioritising schools returning full time over reopening gyms is "shitting the bed" ???

Don't be obtuse - the SNP have been shitting the bed about every aspect of easing lockdown for months.

36 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
40 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
The daily briefings are totally pointless now. It's just the same spiel on repeat.
I guess it's hard to keep up the pretence that we are following our own path when pretty much everyone knows now it's just England + 10-14 days.
Pretending there is any danger of schools not being allowed to go back full time in 3 weeks was a good one though.

It looks clear we will be diverging from that pattern next week as she is making it crystal clear that the only phase 4 restrictions to be announced next week will be schools full time and shielding ending. No return to offices, no Gym reopening, no shift in the essential journeys only message on the train network etc.

This one needs to GTF, especially now folk are allowed to travel as much as they want (in their own country). I was hoping to take my bike onto the train and do some routes soon, I honestly didn’t know they were still saying train journeys should only be for essential travel

A lot of rage on the Edinburgh Live site because the council want to plough ahead with the Christmas markets and Hogmanay celebrations, albeit on a scaled down size. The usual sound bites were on there from the perpetual scared - “what about the second wave.” Etc.

“It is being reported that a drone display similar to one featured in Shanghai's 2020 New Year celebrations could be brought in, instead of thousands of people lining the streets.

The Christmas Market would also apparently be "scaled back" and social distancing measures put in place.”

i honestly don’t understand the bit in bold 🤔

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This one needs to GTF, especially now folk are allowed to travel as much as they want (in their own country). I was hoping to take my bike onto the train and do some routes soon, I honestly didn’t know they were still saying train journeys should only be for essential travel

Remember anything England does we must wait to see how it goes first.

Expect a "quicker than we thought we could" message about public transport being available for all to use being made around the 14th of August, with an opening date for gyms and offices given at the review on the 20th.

So apparantly now you should not wear an N95 mask with a valve as these only filter the air in and not out meaning they don't stop you spreading coronavirus.
That's fine, and makes sense, but they can't surely be any different or less effective than wearing somethin akin to a £3 Primark tee-shirt over your face? In which case, why bother?
To answer your question in the second paragraph, just read your first paragraph.

A lot of rage on the Edinburgh Live site because the council want to plough ahead with the Christmas markets and Hogmanay celebrations, albeit on a scaled down size. The usual sound bites were on there from the perpetual scared - “what about the second wave.” Etc.

“It is being reported that a drone display similar to one featured in Shanghai's 2020 New Year celebrations could be brought in, instead of thousands of people lining the streets.

The Christmas Market would also apparently be "scaled back" and social distancing measures put in place.”

i honestly don’t understand the bit in bold [emoji848]

I’d be quite happy if we used covid as an excuse to fire the Christmas market into the sea to be honest. It’s all mass produced tourist tat, overpriced food and drink and a massive pain in the arse if you’re trying to get about the town at Christmas time. That all said, I do actually like Christmas.

49 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I guess it's hard to keep up the pretence that we are following our own path when pretty much everyone knows now it's just England + 10-14 days.

Isn't everyone pretty much on the same path though? It's really just the timings that differ.

We're hardly going to do something completely wacky like say everyone in high risk groups must wear blue hats.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
17 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
So apparantly now you should not wear an N95 mask with a valve as these only filter the air in and not out meaning they don't stop you spreading coronavirus.
That's fine, and makes sense, but they can't surely be any different or less effective than wearing somethin akin to a £3 Primark tee-shirt over your face? In which case, why bother?

To answer your question in the second paragraph, just read your first paragraph.

I don't follow.

How can a t-shirt be more effective than a mask? No one is advising specifically against wearing a cut up t-shirt over your face.

Care Homes were advised not to send residents with Covid symptoms to hospital.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/care-homes-were-told-not-to-send-patients-with-virus-to-hospital-9ptk78rdh

image.thumb.png.02f4270647e5eabce6c3904bda3bc64b.png

image.thumb.png.fbd1a934ee97f140f7e25e86fb61b162.png

image.thumb.png.d61082a51d94238b7dd1de564a8a6985.png

image.thumb.png.9aed2f861b418e43b74f25bc3814d358.png

Edited to change 'told' to 'advised'.  

That’s an interesting one. My Dad’s Care Home in Dumfries and Galloway region made specific contact with my sister and I to discuss care options should my dad get sick. We already had a DNR directive in place. There was no sense we were being pressured around a decision and it was very useful to have the opportunity to discuss this at a time when my dad was stable. He doesn’t have capacity and we both have power of attorney. Thankfully thus far my dad has been unaffected and in fact the home has had no cases. We wouldn’t have wanted my dad moved to an acute hospital as it would have been hugely distressing for him with no likely gain. We agonised over that issue for some time and difficult though it was I think staying where he is the best option for my dad should he get sick. The care he gets in the home has been excellent throughout his time there. I’m well aware that others aren’t in such a fortunate position.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Remember anything England does we must wait to see how it goes first.

Expect a "quicker than we thought we could" message about public transport being available for all to use being made around the 14th of August, with an opening date for gyms and offices given at the review on the 20th.

Yip how could I forget the narrative of “we must wait and see if England fcks up first before we show our hand”! 

Surely there’s still not police at train stations wondering where folk are going? 

6 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Isn't everyone pretty much on the same path though? It's really just the timings that differ.

We're hardly going to do something completely wacky like say everyone in high risk groups must wear blue hats.

That's a nonsense point. But why can't we do something major at the same time or, imagine, first?

We are months behind many places in europe on certain things, and we are at a stage now where we should be looking to ways to close that gap not widen it.

I don't particularly care about gyms. But i'm becoming more and more disillusioned with the SNP and their political grandstanding.

They don't have the balls to find a way to put independence even on the horizon, and they don't have the balls to lead Scotland, preferring the "follow but make it look a wee bit better" approach

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I’d be quite happy if we used covid as an excuse to fire the Christmas market into the sea to be honest. It’s all mass produced tourist tat, overpriced food and drink and a massive pain in the arse if you’re trying to get about the town at Christmas time. That all said, I do actually like Christmas.

It sure is overpriced. I quite like the Edinburgh ones. I used to go with my ex but last year I took my Mum and she loved it. I reckon the oldies are more willing to pay £5 for one potato on a stick than the younger ones! 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's a nonsense point. But why can't we do something major at the same time or, imagine, first?

We are months behind many places in europe on certain things, and we are at a stage now where we should be looking to ways to close that gap not widen it.

I don't particularly care about gyms. But i'm becoming more and more disillusioned with the SNP.

what did you have in mind and what's the prize for it?

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Just do it, no one will stop you. The only law relating to public transport is that you must wear a face covering.

The message from Network Rail in England anyway is now "Let’s travel safely this summer".

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't particularly care about gyms. But i'm becoming more and more disillusioned with the SNP and their political grandstanding.

They don't have the balls to find a way to put independence even on the horizon, and they don't have the balls to lead Scotland, preferring the "follow but make it look a wee bit better" approach

We were first to make face coverings mandatory in shops.

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Just do it, no one will stop you. The only law relating to public transport is that you must wear a face covering.

The message from Network Rail in England anyway is now "Let’s travel safely this summer".

This wifie has got the idea.

Apparently she's on the Staffin bus going somewhere.staffin.thumb.jpg.25e911108f5bf5ea59634b0f66216d7f.jpg

1 minute ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

We were first to make face coverings mandatory in shops.

Whoop de doo

PS that is not in any way an easing of lockdown which it should have been quite obvious I was meaning.

Edited by Todd_is_God

If you assume that the Scottish Government's over riding concern is the smooth return to schools for kids on Aug 11th, then it makes perfect sense that they aren't going to take any further risks for the next three weeks.

If they open something up, and, however unlikely it triggers a large increase in case loads, then they will get blamed.

By keeping the current restrictions in place, they can hopefully maintain a case load in 2-20 a day range, dependent on clusters and get the kids back in on time, as planned. 

Further easing could then happen 2-3 weeks after to make sure the impact of school openings can be isolated and understood.

After that they can concentrate on getting the country open properly so that we can all get tanked up on away days. 

Edited by renton