Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

you will enjoy this

It's almost bedtime here. Having watched that will have me waking up screaming at some point in the middle of the night.

50 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Would quite happily never set foot in my office again tbh.

I don't mind it a couple of days a week but this two weeks off and one week on stuff is draining. I'm a zombie by the Tuesday afternoon in the office but I spend my entire time at home lying on the couch with Sky News on in the background. Can't get a good routine at all.

I want to get back in to the office as soon as I can. I don't enjoy working from home at all. It might be different if I had a separate office room at home, but as it is I've got my old dining table in a corner of my bedroom, which was already crammed due to my 9 month old daughter's cot being in the room as well. The bedroom is just a disaster zone at the moment and I hate it. 
I also miss my cycle to work, that half an hour of exercise just cleared the head in the morning (and I know there is nothing stopping me getting out on the bike before I work, but my mornings are so disorganised at the moment as well). The flip side of this is that at present (there are a few folk back in my office) the shower facilities are not allowed to be used, there's no chance I'm going back to working in the office, and cycling in every morning, until the showers are back in use.

I got asked last week when I wanted to return. I’ve said one of the last ones only because my girlfriend goes back to work on Wednesday and she’ll be more exposed to it working in a dentist, don’t want to be the dick who infects the office.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I got asked last week when I wanted to return. I’ve said one of the last ones only because my girlfriend goes back to work on Wednesday and she’ll be more exposed to it working in a dentist, don’t want to be the dick who infects the office.

We haven't been asked when yet, but have been asked what we want our working pattern to be going forward. As much as I want to get back, if the processes are still as they were in the video they put round the other week, I've no interest in going in to that.

1 hour ago, PWL said:

My Dad is in meat trade buying cattle for butchers. Demand from small butchers shops has jumped during this period as folk prefer the hygiene aspect as opposed to giant supermarkets. They are also discovering the fact that the product is invariably superior than shrink wrapped mass production meat.

I insist on meat being shrink wrapped for hygiene reasons............

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The 18 figure is from 17,500 tests, which means 0.1% were positive

Last friday we had 12 from 5,000 (0.2%), and 17 from 5,000 (0.3%) the week before.

I don't know why the number of daily tests has rocketed in the last 3 days. Maybe down to test & protect identifying cases that were otherwise missed / only estimated?

Seems like the number of new people over the last 3 days wasn't particularly high, but the number of tests did jump up hugely...

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

IMG_5748.jpg

20200710_170909.jpg

She later went on to confirm that until she sees Boris Johnson wearing a mask she won't be. Taking your lead from a guy that caught covid shaking hands with cv infected patients. Genius. 

Edited by madwullie

Guest SJP79

Merchant Navy Deck Officer Cadets

Email: nafc.cadets@uhi.ac.uk

Launch your career in the Merchant Navy in 2020 as a Deck Officer Cadet

The Merchant Navy Officer Cadet Programme trains officers for the merchant navy. As a cadet you will spend part of your time studying at the NAFC Marine Centre and part working at sea as a trainee on board ships. During your training you will be employed by a shipping company which will pay you a training allowance and pay your college fees and expenses.

At the end of the programme you will have professional and academic qualifications that will qualify you work as a junior officer on ships anywhere in the world or allow you to progress to further study.

We still have a few places for Deck Officer Cadets to start in September.

To find out more about training as a cadet see our website (www.nafc.uhi.ac.uk/cadets). If you have any questions or would like to have an informal chat about becoming a cadet please contact Laura at nafc.cadets@uhi.ac.uk.

3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Darwin Approves - Memebase - Funny Memes

I don't believe there's any harm in wearing a mask, it may even be of benefit, I just don't want to. I'll do it because it's a requirement but as soon as it's lifted , and I hope it will be and not this new normal, then I won't bother with one

2 hours ago, John MacLean said:

I'm fair looking forward to going to visit friends tonight but there's bit of apprehension as well. 

Me and Mrs M have been getting out and about since day one and while she's been working from home I've been going into the office every working day but  much like everyone else we've largely lived in our own wee bubble for the last few months. We've binged on various TV series (The US version of The Office was surprisingly good, New Amsterdam was decent but you can ram This is Us), got on each others nerves and gave the cat more attention than he's had, or wanted, in years. 

It's going to be great to see other people but it is going to be different from past nights with sticking to (or at least trying) social distancing etc. There was comfort to be found in that wee self contained bubble we've existed in. Almost a form of institutionalisation. Doing something previously as ordinary as going to visit friends now seems like a big deal. The natural result of approaching four months of Lockdown I suppose.  

Ooh Matron Kenneth Williams GIF - OohMatron KennethWilliams What GIFs

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Self-sabotage thread for this pish.

I'd be tempted to chuck myself down the stairs and take the broken ankle to avoid it.

There's actually a boy I know here who works in face-to-face English teaching who has genuinely just broken his foot. He's thrilled because his school is going back to in-class teaching next week and instead he gets to carry on working from home.

It's a strange thing. This lad is another good Hearts man (bizarrely there are quite a few of us in Kuala Lumpur), he's the same age as me, he's from not very far away from me, yet we had never met before we met here and have no friends in common. I'm think he's on a witness protection scheme and have a made up identity.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Football related covid stuff: FC Zurich have had a player test positive. They have played 3 games in a week with him involved. Their next 2 games have now been cancelled and Grasshoppers next home game is also off. The Swiss league has games planned for every possible match day they can come up with. Quite how they will finish the season on time now is beyond me.

41 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Football related covid stuff: FC Zurich have had a player test positive. They have played 3 games in a week with him involved. Their next 2 games have now been cancelled and Grasshoppers next home game is also off. The Swiss league has games planned for every possible match day they can come up with. Quite how they will finish the season on time now is beyond me.

When schools go on holiday in leicester is the official pnb timeframe during the global pandemic