Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would you need to stay within 5 miles, months after these emergency restrictions were first set out and community transmission rates are now utterly insignificant? The onus is on the government to explain why such stupid restrictions remain necessary - based on The Science - rather than for people to justify why they should be got rid of to go about their normal lives. 

I think it's about making them look like their in control.  They are with things like pubs opening etc but they can't physically do anything if someone want's to drive for an hour and go for a wander in the countryside.

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The 5 mile rule is a guide only and is not enforceable by law, in any case ive not been stopped by the polis once since this kicked off incl going to work in the early days of full lockdown

They don't have the time or resources to stop everyone just to find out where you're going. They've had some patrols up Loch Lomond around here to stop folk going there for the day out but they aren't going to have those patrols at every junction. Like all of this, the government and police are trusting people to be responsible.

51 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I was expecting to at least be able to visit someone indoors

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but you seem a sensible guy and you're convinced that the measures we're under are slightly excessive for the risk we are facing - so why not just go and sit indoors with your folks? Is it imperative that Sturgeon gives you the go ahead before you do so? I think most people will basically start doing their own risk assessment from now on and as long as folk aren't holding raves, most will go about their business unnoticed.

9 minutes ago, Paco said:

Just heard Sturgeon say they’re waiting on a report due on July 2nd that will make clear the risks of opening outdoor hospitality. UK Government are also waiting on the same report.

Would suggest to me that we’ll all open up bars/restaurants at the same, and Sturgeon said if the report is positive the move will come within this phase. No need to wait for Phase 3.

So that’s something.

It was supposed to be phase 2 anyway but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean it will be right at the start.   I personally don't see the difference between sitting outdoors or wandering around a supermarket, but then I'm not a scientist.

17 minutes ago, Paco said:

Just heard Sturgeon say they’re waiting on a report due on July 2nd that will make clear the risks of opening outdoor hospitality. UK Government are also waiting on the same report.

Would suggest to me that we’ll all open up bars/restaurants at the same, and Sturgeon said if the report is positive the move will come within this phase. No need to wait for Phase 3.

So that’s something.

I said a while ago that pubs opening in England before here wouldn't happen. It would piss far too many people off. 

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

That doesn’t apply to family visits though

I thought that’s what she said but can see any specific mention of that here.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making-scotlands-route-map-through-out-crisis-phase-2-update/pages/7/

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but you seem a sensible guy and you're convinced that the measures we're under are slightly excessive for the risk we are facing - so why not just go and sit indoors with your folks? Is it imperative that Sturgeon gives you the go ahead before you do so? I think most people will basically start doing their own risk assessment from now on and as long as folk aren't holding raves, most will go about their business unnoticed.

Not the wrong way at all. Whilst I do think they are slightly excessive, I have tried to stick to the rules as much as possible throughout as it's the obvious way of avoiding any hassle, and out of respect for those who are genuinely living in fear of it.

If I didn't concern myself with trying to follow them they wouldn't annoy me as much.

The wife in particular is a bit uneasy with deliberately flouting the restrictions, but more in case the curtain twitchers get the hump and report her than anything else.

Why would you need to stay within 5 miles, months after these emergency restrictions were first set out and community transmission rates are now utterly insignificant? The onus is on the government to explain why such stupid restrictions remain necessary - based on The Science - rather than for people to justify why they should be got rid of to go about their normal lives. 
This is not my opinion but posted on a hillwalking website.

"My assumption on why there is the 5 mile rule is that most people who travel to a "beauty spot" will want to use toilets and buy food and drink in the shops etc. This means that people will leave Glasgow, where the infection rates are still quite a bit higher than the rest of the country (or were when the rule was brought it, don't know about now), and then use the infrastructure elsewhere and risk spreading it there. I feel there could have been more regional restrictions like if your neighbouring council area has a different R rating then you can't go there, but you can move around within your own area or any neighbouring ones which are at a similar level, or something like that. 

I think we have to recognise that we are the minority in the general population in that we will happily take our own food, pee in the bushes (well away from car parks and not leave any paper etc!!) and have a nice day out without meeting anyone. Most of the population will want to use infrastructure. I presume that is the logic anyway."

And the reply:

"And this is exactly what happened in Glencoe. It was a lot more than three times the traffic. The local supermarket was rammed with tourists. In one situation a group of bikers asked a local policeman where they could stay in a hotel for the night. 

And this is with a 5 mile restriction in place. I think the government realised what would happen if they  opened things up completely. 

I, for one, don't want to see our village outnumbered by tourists 10:1 at this point in time. We have an elderly population as it is (including a large care home) and we've seen mountain rescue and paramedics out and about for the first time since the lockdown. 

Perhaps the 5 miles is over-restrictive but the in reality this is just about stopping the floodgates of the central belt from overwhelming the Highlands."

These were comments in reply to this article:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/ukh/scotlands_outdoor_restrictions_are_senseless_and_unjustifiable-720576

I don't think it's as clear cut as some are making - the real issue is there are still lots of arseholes out there ignoring restrictions - opening up more increases the number of those arseholes prepared to go further.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

She definitely said it. 

5 miles applied to leisure, not family visits. 

I read a trade report last week that Greene King had spent £6M in PPE equipment, they already have had the nod to get ready for opening, much like the construction sites were given the nod two or three weeks ago to get organised for re-opening.

It'll open up sooner than some people are probably thinking. The flood gates are creaking open now, despite what she is telling us every day.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Probably added it off the cuff due to the pictures on twitter of her visiting her family yesterday

Guest bernardblack
I read a trade report last week that Greene King had spent £6M in PPE equipment, they already have had the nod to get ready for opening, much like the construction sites were given the nod two or three weeks ago to get organised for re-opening.
It'll open up sooner than some people are probably thinking. The flood gates are creaking open now, despite what she is telling us every day.

This. Nicola can’t come out and say “all the beer gardens can open on date X” as if things change or the R number changes, then there will be riots.

It’s like a technology company having a roadmap that has Q3/Q4 on it etc. They’ll have a release date in mind internally

31 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not the wrong way at all. Whilst I do think they are slightly excessive, I have tried to stick to the rules as much as possible throughout as it's the obvious way of avoiding any hassle, and out of respect for those who are genuinely living in fear of it.

If I didn't concern myself with trying to follow them they wouldn't annoy me as much.

The wife in particular is a bit uneasy with deliberately flouting the restrictions, but more in case the curtain twitchers get the hump and report her than anything else.

Are there still curtain twitchers in your street liable to report you? What are you likely to be doing, on day 7,750 of lockdown that would incur their wrath? During the first weeks of lockdown in March, maybe, if you were holding house parties or going out ten times a day. How best to put this... I suspect neither you or your wife are about to invite twenty mates round for a bevvy session, so fcuk the curtain twitchers. If curtain twitchers have a problem, they can fcuk off to George Square and twitch at the cnuts gathering there.

Edited by pozbaird

30 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

That will please my Mrs. Her folks live in the South of England, don’t think we can go inside when we get there though, except for a pish.

Just pish on their garden gate, like what our next door neighbour's dog does on our gate.

29 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This is not my opinion but posted on a hillwalking website.

"My assumption on why there is the 5 mile rule is that most people who travel to a "beauty spot" will want to use toilets and buy food and drink in the shops etc. This means that people will leave Glasgow, where the infection rates are still quite a bit higher than the rest of the country (or were when the rule was brought it, don't know about now), and then use the infrastructure elsewhere and risk spreading it there. I feel there could have been more regional restrictions like if your neighbouring council area has a different R rating then you can't go there, but you can move around within your own area or any neighbouring ones which are at a similar level, or something like that. 

I think we have to recognise that we are the minority in the general population in that we will happily take our own food, pee in the bushes (well away from car parks and not leave any paper etc!!) and have a nice day out without meeting anyone. Most of the population will want to use infrastructure. I presume that is the logic anyway."

And the reply:

"And this is exactly what happened in Glencoe. It was a lot more than three times the traffic. The local supermarket was rammed with tourists. In one situation a group of bikers asked a local policeman where they could stay in a hotel for the night. 

And this is with a 5 mile restriction in place. I think the government realised what would happen if they  opened things up completely. 

I, for one, don't want to see our village outnumbered by tourists 10:1 at this point in time. We have an elderly population as it is (including a large care home) and we've seen mountain rescue and paramedics out and about for the first time since the lockdown. 

Perhaps the 5 miles is over-restrictive but the in reality this is just about stopping the floodgates of the central belt from overwhelming the Highlands."

These were comments in reply to this article:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/ukh/scotlands_outdoor_restrictions_are_senseless_and_unjustifiable-720576

I don't think it's as clear cut as some are making - the real issue is there are still lots of arseholes out there ignoring restrictions - opening up more increases the number of those arseholes prepared to go further.

I've been hillwalking three times this month and haven't done anything other than drive, stop for coffee at a petrol station, walk and drive back.