Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m disappointed that indoor visits and beer gardens aren’t happening. Objectively speaking I can understand it but it’s a bit shit to have it explicitly stated in the route map and then taken away when we get here.

As with Phase 1, the changes kind of feel like they’re just catching up with what people are doing anyway - people meet in large groups in parks etc, clothes shops have brought it upon themselves to open, people went into their pals house for a piss, etc.

Bit of a damp squib.

I would have thought the restrictions relating to house visits has more to do with the risk of touching contaminated surfaces rather than the 2m rule, could be wrong though

Hasn’t most studies confirmed surfaces are secondary to actual human contact and air droplets?

It’s not like as well if you visit someone your going to go around rubbing your hands on all their handles and work tops?

Just now, Paco said:

I’m disappointed that indoor visits and beer gardens aren’t happening. Objectively speaking I can understand it but it’s a bit shit to have it explicitly stated in the route map and then taken away when we get here.

As with Phase 1, the changes kind of feel like they’re just catching up with what people are doing anyway - people meet in large groups in parks etc, clothes shops have brought it upon themselves to open, people went into their pals house for a piss, etc.

Bit of a damp squib.

I think they know a lot of people are jumping one stage ahead anyway so might be wise to offset that.

14 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

That doesn’t apply to family visits though

My Aunt and uncle live 40 miles away from their son and grandson, could they go and visit? 

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why would you need to go more than 5 miles for a bit of exercise?

For a change of scenery. I’ve walked and cycled these routes every day for 3 months. 

9 minutes ago, PWL said:

The aim still seems to be to keep folk in the mindset of not travelling to limit spread of any infection.. Probably 90% of necessaties for most folk in Scotland are within 5 miles though I appreciate that might not be case in rural communities. If they start pushing the distance up it will be an invitation to folk to travel more.  

That’s fair enough, I’d liked to have been able to jump on a train and go to Irvine or somewhere like that (still within Ayrshire)

2 minutes ago, FFCinthearea said:

You don't have to stick with 5 miles, it's a made up number.

Very true, especially when folk can travel to protests/demonstrations 

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

What size of a plant is it?

6.000 employees according to here. https://toennies.de/en/company/sites/

There's been a large number of increased cases at numerous meat-processing / abatoirs in Germany. Main reason is the large number of employees (from Poland & Romania) living in dormitory style accomodation. 

I would perhaps have a little more time for the softly softly approach if we weren't preparing to welcome, seemingly without restriction, tourists from England in just 4 weeks time.

I don't disagree with NS when she says the lower we can get the number of cases the better chance we have to keep it at bay. But there is little point in us bearing the brunt of this for another month to then let people from a different country with a different strategy in, potentially undoing any benefit of what she is trying to do.

Edited by Todd_is_God

England aren’t opening their pubs until the 4th July at the earliest. I think it’s been a case of someone asking if this can be help of until then.

Only thing I’m really annoyed at is not getting into people’s homes.

However, with Dentists back on Monday, the girlfriend has her going back date and I’ll have some time to myself when she gets back in.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I would perhaps have a little more time for the softly softly approach if we weren't preparing to welcome, seemingly without restriction, tourists from England in just 4 weeks time.

I don't disagree with NS when she says the lower we can get the number of cases the better chance we have to keep it at bay. But there is little point in us bearing the brunt of this for another month to then let people from a different country with a different strategy in, potentially undoing any benefit of what she is trying to do.

That's impossible to stop and makes no sense whatsoever.   It's a bit like Edinburgh saying no visitors from Glasgow because of a higher infection rate.

The English are more than welcome, and the money they will put into our knackered economy will be much appreciated.

Maintaining that children would be at high risk if they were in school full time in August, or that covid-19 "often" leads to anyone who catches it dying annoys me slightly.

Neither statement is particularly true, but appears to be beyond challenge.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Guest bernardblack
Very true, especially when folk can travel to protests/demonstrations 

I don’t think the family visit is an issue?

Just now, FFCinthearea said:

That's impossible to stop and makes no sense whatsoever.   It's a bit like Edinburgh saying no visitors from Glasgow because of a higher infection rate.

The English are more than welcome, and the money they will put into our knackered economy will be much appreciated.

I wasn't suggesting it was.

But NS standing up in Holyrood and appealing for patience to keep pushing numbers down to allow a less risky recovery makes little sense with that on the horizon.

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why would you need to go more than 5 miles for a bit of exercise?

Why would you need to stay within 5 miles, months after these emergency restrictions were first set out and community transmission rates are now utterly insignificant? The onus is on the government to explain why such stupid restrictions remain necessary - based on The Science - rather than for people to justify why they should be got rid of to go about their normal lives. 

Edited by vikingTON

England aren’t opening their pubs until the 4th July at the earliest. I think it’s been a case of someone asking if this can be help of until then.

However, with Dentists back on Monday, the girlfriend has her going back date and I’ll have some time to myself when she gets back in.
On the pubs bit, is it not the case that the opening in England will include inside areas?

Just heard Sturgeon say they’re waiting on a report due on July 2nd that will make clear the risks of opening outdoor hospitality. UK Government are also waiting on the same report.

Would suggest to me that we’ll all open up bars/restaurants at the same, and Sturgeon said if the report is positive the move will come within this phase. No need to wait for Phase 3.

So that’s something.

15 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Nobody's going to stop you unless you have a mad house party. Or if you're a burglar.