Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

It's called a rave M8.

Young people have lost months of their youth due to a virus that has little to no effect on them. Anyone who begrudges them a blowout is a miserable git. 

What drivel you talk, I like most of my peers would rather have a beer on Zoom and make sure we can all get together after this and meet up for the first time in months at a funeral.

The need for a 'blowout' is not now but when it comes I'll be booting the arse out my liver

Edited by 101

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm a parent* too, and I don't want my daughter teaching up to eighty kids a day who come from homes where she has no idea of compliance levels. Safety can be maintained, or at least the risks mitigated, if appropriate Control Measures are in place. Fact is, they're not.  Johnson's simplistic slogan of the day, that schools are safe, means nothing until we know what CMs are in place to differentiate the environment. Without that clarification, what he's saying is, "back to normal, serfs!" for EVERY environment.

If your daughter is in a vulnerable risk category then of course she shouldn't re-enter a classroom, in the same way that those groups shouldn't be forced to re-enter any other workplace. If she isn't then the risk is infinitesimally small and so it's actually get back to work time just like non-essential retail staff.

I dont think I'm an overly positive viewpoint re the numbers on here, or overly critical of the govt but heres how I see it currently, this is what I understand and so am happy to be corrected by folk who know more. Regarding the relaxation of measures and the potential second wave....

Once we relax measures, the following things can be safely assumed to act against a second wave, even supposing we open everything including schools etc.

A previously discussed, more diligent population. Hand washing, masks, maximising distance, minimising contact with other unnecessarily etc. Forget arbitrary distances. Just a population who are aware of the risks.

Tracking and tracing small outbreaks, with targeted localised measures if needed, with huge testing capacity available.

Significantly greater knowledge of the risk groups, and shielding of those risk groups, specifically those likely to require hospitalization.

Even greater diligence from those in the above groups (big assumption unfortunately)

Then let's assume that some, but less, people still get hospitalised. We have....

More beds.

More ventilators

More CPAP machines

A drug that significantly reduces the chance of a patient dying.

Why cant we place a higher priority now on the damage that is being done by factors which we are using to mitigate a disease that we are better prepared to fight?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why cant we place a higher priority now on the damage that is being done by factors which we are using to mitigate a disease that we are better prepared to fight?

Politics

41 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I can't picture how much lower the SNP would realistically like these to go.

I think it's irrelevant really. The longer we stay like this, the longer they go without having to make some meaningful decisions. I think the will and the desire to get back to normal at the soonest possiblity just isn't there. Going into lockdown was an easy decision - coming out of it is the hard part.

There's Oliver Dowden talking about grassroots level sport from July and some fans back in stadiums in time for the new season down there. This might prove reckless, who knows. At least it's on the agenda down there. These things just aren't being spoken about here. And, to my mind, because the SG are afraid to make the big decisions necessary.

Politics
My problem is that at this point, and IMO, short of a vaccine or silver bullet treatment, we have come as far as is possible against this virus. Not getting society back to normal now is as good as saying its vaccine or a fucked world forever.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
Maybe they can be the "new normal"

Chalk and talk doesn't work - you'll engage with around 3-4 pupils if you are lucky whilst the rest switch off.

Getting parents' to teach kids certainly won't work, so it doesn't solve anything.

This is not aimed at you in particular, but maybe teachers need to find innovative ways to keep the class engaged rather than just say "we can't"

Edited by Todd_is_God

Have some sympathy with folk who've watched Sturgeon's general cautious it over Covid and decided there's no chance of the SNP forcing a referendum in the next few year

Edited by NotThePars

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Getting parents' to teach kids certainly won't work, so it doesn't solve anything.

This is not aimed at you in particular, but maybe teachers need to find innovative ways to keep the class engaged rather than just say "we can't"

Their favourite phrase

Getting parents' to teach kids certainly won't work, so it doesn't solve anything. This is not aimed at you in particular, but maybe teachers need to find innovative ways to keep the class engaged rather than just say "we can't"

Teachers are but there is only so much you can do. 

We have to prepare for the worst case scenario and hopefully do not need to use it or if we do only for a short period.

I know some have called for more new technology but that takes time - you can't just magic thousands of laptops out of thin air.

Even when pupils have new technology there is no guarantee they will use it - I know at least two pupils I have who have been issued laptops who are still not engaging.

Even with schools back full time there is still a fundamental issue of a lot of pupils with poor attendance levels who just do not engage.

That needs to be addressed and there are no simple answers.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

EasSpt4WkAAAM8u?format=jpg

Mind three months ago when certain posters on this thread were bravely extolling how Sweden were doing all the right things by, er, essentially not doing anything?

41 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I think it's irrelevant really. The longer we stay like this, the longer they go without having to make some meaningful decisions. I think the will and the desire to get back to normal at the soonest possiblity just isn't there. Going into lockdown was an easy decision - coming out of it is the hard part.

Being cynical the government has it easy during lockdown in a lot of ways as they don't have to provide loads of services. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

What drivel you talk, I like most of my peers would rather have a beer on Zoom and make sure we can all get together after this and meet up for the first time in months at a funeral.

The need for a 'blowout' is not now but when it comes I'll be booting the arse out my liver

'Drivel' 'peers'.

Something tells me you probably aren't the rave demographic.....

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Have they not said if you're with someone for more than 15 minutes, even at 2m distance, you could still catch it?  I imagine airflow in classrooms will contribute as well.

That’s what they say, but by that token hairdressers and barbers sound more at risk of catching/spreading it and they’re expected to be back mid July/early Aug