Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Just out a work meeting and Face coverings will be made compulsory in an SG announcement within the next 24hrs. Will apply on Public Transport including school transport, taxis private hire. Will NOT be in conjunction with any SD reduction, it will remain at 2m

Compulsory on transport only surely? Or have we to wear them in shops too?

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Without meaning to be overly simplistic about it, how in the f**k are the people vulnerable enough to be still dying of this actually catching it.

Also, why is Nicola Sturgeon fear mongering with talk of "putting our children's lives at risk"? I am a parent and I personally would put my kids back into school tonorrow.

She’s probably bringing kids into it now to put fear into parents, who’ll then pander to her moving at a snails pace

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Without meaning to be overly simplistic about it, how in the f**k are the people vulnerable enough to be still dying of this actually catching it.

Also, why is Nicola Sturgeon fear mongering with talk of "putting our children's lives at risk"? I am a parent and I personally would put my kids back into school tonorrow.

I'm a parent* too, and I don't want my daughter teaching up to eighty kids a day who come from homes where she has no idea of compliance levels. Safety can be maintained, or at least the risks mitigated, if appropriate Control Measures are in place. Fact is, they're not.  Johnson's simplistic slogan of the day, that schools are safe, means nothing until we know what CMs are in place to differentiate the environment. Without that clarification, what he's saying is, "back to normal, serfs!" for EVERY environment.

So lockdown's over - but then, the GBP decided that the minute Johnson supported Cummings in the most obvious "fúck you" a Government has delivered to the country in my lifetime - and I include Bliar's Iraq adventure in that.

Forget BLM or wee Tommy's Home Guard - ten thousand or so arseholes got together to get pissed in fields in the north of England at the weekend, for no other reason than they wanted to get pissed. Police action? They are (one assumes) investigating the sexual and knife attacks, but the breaking of lockdown or even Public Order offences? Not so much.

*And grandparent.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Outwith care homes, 35 people died of or at least suspected of, covid-19, 28 of which were in hospitals.

How many of those 28 caught the virus whilst im hospital? Potentially whilst in for treatment of their underlying condition.

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm a parent* too, and I don't want my daughter teaching up to eighty kids a day who come from homes where she has no idea of compliance levels. Safety can be maintained, or at least the risks mitigated, if appropriate Control Measures are in place. Fact is, they're not.  Johnson's simplistic slogan of the day, that schools are safe, means nothing until we know what CMs are in place to differentiate the environment. Without that clarification, what he's saying is, "back to normal, serfs!" for EVERY environment.

So lockdown's over - but then, the GBP decided that the minute Johnson supported Cummings in the most obvious "fúck you" a Government has delivered to the country in my lifetime - and I include Bliar's Iraq adventure in that.

Forget BLM or wee Tommy's Home Guard - ten thousand or so arseholes got together to get pissed in fields in the north of England at the weekend, for no other reason than they wanted to get pissed. Police action? They are (one assumes) investigating the sexual and knife attacks, but the breaking of lockdown or even Public Order offences? Not so much.

*And grandparent.

Teachers themselves are surely at very little risk. They are within 2m of very few (if any) pupils when at the front of the class, and, when it becomes 1m, none.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Teachers themselves are surely at very little risk. They are within 2m of very few (if any) pupils when at the front of the class, and, when it becomes 1m, none.

Oh, I forgot - all teachers remain motionless in one place throughout the day. Silly me.

25 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Because the people delivering their meals or coming to give them a bath are agency staff with no sick pay and inadequte PPE - plus there was an remains a weird attitude that it's all puff and nonsense from over 70s so they've probably taken fewer precautions than younger people.

That sick pay issue is going to cause fucking bedlam with test and protect going forward tbh. They would be better served getting employers into toe the line over that than begging for extension of furlough

8 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Oh, I forgot - all teachers remain motionless in one place throughout the day. Silly me.

Whilst that isn't what I said, I certainly don't remember teachers when I was at school being all up in my grill all day every day.

99% of the time they are nowhere near a specific pupil.

It's no different to the argument that one way systems inside, or queuing outside, a supermarket is not necessary. The time spent within what will likely be 1m by August of any pupil will be absolutely minimal. And there are aditional measures that could be taken (wearing of visors, for example) to mitigate further.

Providing pupils with symptoms do not attend school, or are sent home, from the POV of teacher safety it is much less of an issue than is being made out.

Edited by Todd_is_God

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Have they not said if you're with someone for more than 15 minutes, even at 2m distance, you could still catch it?  I imagine airflow in classrooms will contribute as well.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Whilst that isn't what I said, I certainly don't remember teachers when I was at school being all up in my grill all day every day.

99% of the time they are nowhere near a specific pupil

And were a teacher one for greater levels of contact, could easily dial that back as part of their mitigation. Like yourself, my teachers stood up at the front of the class, certainly no closer than 2 metres to us, or behind their desk

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

My kids were in school until the last day and are now in 1-3pm four afternoons a week. My friends kids been in hub all way through as she works in ICT. None of the kids have been ill.

28 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Forget BLM or wee Tommy's Home Guard - ten thousand or so arseholes got together to get pissed in fields in the north of England at the weekend, for no other reason than they wanted to get pissed. Police action? They are (one assumes) investigating the sexual and knife attacks, but the breaking of lockdown or even Public Order offences? Not so much

It's called a rave M8.

Young people have lost months of their youth due to a virus that has little to no effect on them. Anyone who begrudges them a blowout is a miserable git. 

6 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My kids were in school until the last day and are now in 1-3pm four afternoons a week. My friends kids been in hub all way through as she works in ICT. None of the kids have been ill.

This is what pisses me off. 

There is a significant proportion of the population who kept a large part of their normal routines due to being key workers but there is little interest in their experiences from the people who think any easing of lockdown will be the apocalypse.

We are encouraged to circulate in the class and pretty much forbidden to stand behind a desk of we can possibly help it after an idiotic inspection from HMIe which had one member who had a bee in their bonnet about two things which are of little importance to learning and teaching or to behaviour but to her was the most important aspect of our jobs. Even if that wasn't the case, it'll only be old school teachers and the lazy/incompetent/winding down teachers who stand/sit behind their desks all day. And that's in the secondary schools, Primary teachers are up and about and literally next to the pupils pretty much the whole day.

Having said that, we'll pretty much be behind our desk in this new system and in Fife certainly it looks like we'll just be "teaching" generic stuff about health and wellbeing, values etc. and not subject specific stuff unless we get back to normal. I'm certainly not going in this week to set my desk up for 2m social distances as I'm pretty sure we'll be back to normal or at the very least down to 1m distancing by the ring we go back in August.

What utter bollocks.

As a teacher I am constantly working 1-to-1 or in small groups - even more so when pupils are working on computers.

The days of chalk and talk are long gone.

26 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What utter bollocks.

As a teacher I am constantly working 1-to-1 of in small groups - even more so when pupils are working on computers.

Well aye,  but you could have a class full, do less of that and it's still better than this blended BS

ETA, with less children being blatantly left behind which is precisely what is going to happen .

Edited by Bairnardo

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What utter bollocks.

As a teacher I am constantly working 1-to-1 of in small groups - even more so when pupils are working on computers.

Maybe they can be the "new normal"

51 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well aye,  but you could have a class full, do less of that and it's still better than this blended BS

The idea that part time schooling is preferable to full time teaching on the basis that teachers would have to spend more time at the front of the class is bizarre.

Neither are ideal, but having 100% of teaching delivered by a qualified teacher is infinitely better than any % overseen by a parent, especially so if that same parent has their own job to do.

Last week there were 2 admissions to ICU of confirmed Covid-19 patients.

Thats just 0.3 per day. 

Looking at the last 3 weeks (so essentially the full of phase 1) there have been just 9.

In terms of hospital admissions, the data runs a little behind, but the 7 day average as of 11/06 was exactly 5.

When you look at the point of the lock down (Protect the NHS. Save lives) these figures are remarkeable for a country hesitant to move out of Phase 1.

I can't picture how much lower the SNP would realistically like these to go.

Edited by Todd_is_God