Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 hours ago, peasy23 said:
17 hours ago, The Real Saints said:
I need to go to the bank in order to cash a cheque. What time are the banks open until currently? I have looked on the RBS website and it contradicts itself. My nearest RBS is about half an hour away on the train, so I don't want to make an unnecessary trip.

Don't know about RBS, but my local TSB is open from 10 til 4, but closes for half an hour at lunchtime.

I think most banks keep those hours, maybe close for an hour for lunch.

ETA: A lot of Post Offices act as sub bank branches nowadays, you can lodge cash and cheques to your account. The cheques take a bit longer to clear is the only deawback. I use our local post office all the time for lodging cheques. (Not that there have been many of them lately.)

Further ETA: Post Offices have already been mentioned...

Edited by Jacksgranda

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm just on 24, 8mg 12 hours, 3 hours and 1 hour before 3 weekly chemo. Last sesh on Friday!

Your treatment is totally different from mine! Good that you're coming near the end of your treatment, it will be December before mine finishes. (Well, the first part of it, at least.)

Not sure about Turkey or China but the talk of a second wave in Iran is interesting, the graphs look to me like they really never killed off the first wave and the pace at which they opened back up seems to point to, it's just the second part of the first wave they failed to contain IMO

7 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

All the talk about supermarkets/shops earlier made me realise how much of a power trip some of the staff have been on. You can just tell they love having the “authority” to either speak to you like you’re a piece or shit, or that you’re 5 years old. Another thing I won’t miss about “lockdown life”

I imagine some are just getting their own back, tbh.

8 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

The kids on here who are experts on these sort of things say binning the safety protocals and drinking a warm pint in a shitty beer garden needs to happen, these countries obviously don't have the good old british common sense.

Yet at the same time countries in Europe, our former EU peers aren't experiencing second spikes.

We measure ourselves on our neighbours,  not on Iran/Turkey etc.

Edited by Tynierose

20 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Yet at the same time countries in Europe, our former EU peers aren't experiencing second spikes.

We measure ourselves on our neighbours,  not on Iran/Turkey etc.

Only when we have lower deaths I believe is when graphs appear 😉

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Sturgeon basically confirming we want to suppress the virus as low as possible in an attempt to get to some actual normality.

I've no issue if that's the plan but think it's very important to convey what the infections/daily positive tests/deaths threshold is for reopening each sector. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Hopeful.

It's good to confirm it's useful, but I read on Twitter that doctors in Spain were using it from March and then started using another steroid they found had better results. Still, having had a proper trial and positive outcome is progress.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is surely zero point in suppressing it to zero in Scotland if they aren't going to do the same in England?

More utter drivel.  To do that you would have to ban all travel overseas, close the borders permanently etc.

Honestly what utter unrealistic pish.

We don't know how many fucking people have had it because you haven't done enough antibody testing.    A huge proportion have apparently had it without even knowing they had it.  Shambles utter shambles.

Is the NHS overwhelmed, no its in certain areas fucking mothballed and staff in critical care are being told to take annual leave because f**k all is happening.

Never mind though let's extend furlough for f**k knows how long, keep all pensioners clubs closed, sport off, kids grass roots off, destroy our mental health, destroy our economy until we suppress this virus that is actually, well er suppressed.

Ah but the science says so, really, a quick look can find the opposite view from equally as accredited scientists.

Follow what our Europeans neighbours have done and look at what went well for them.

We are miles behind, The UK government is a joke and the SG isn't far behind.   Worst management in the Western world apart from that cretin Trump.

Also remember our death figures were greatly increased by the decision to though vulnerable people into care homes with unfortunate staff who had no PPE and were spreading the infection round the most vulnerable.  It was the equivalent of sending your kids out to play chicken on the motorway for several hours.

The management of getting out of lockdown is doing more harm to this country than the actual virus end of.

Shambles.

More utter drivel.  To do that you would have to ban all travel overseas, close the borders permanently etc.
Honestly what utter unrealistic pish.
We don't know how many fucking people have had it because you haven't done enough antibody testing.    A huge proportion have apparently had it without even knowing they had it.  Shambles utter shambles.
Is the NHS overwhelmed, no its in certain areas fucking mothballed and staff in critical care are being told to take annual leave because f**k all is happening.
Never mind though let's extend furlough for f**k knows how long, keep all pensioners clubs closed, sport off, kids grass roots off, destroy our mental health, destroy our economy until we suppress this virus that is actually, well er suppressed.
Ah but the science says so, really, a quick look can find the opposite view from equally as accredited scientists.
Follow what our Europeans neighbours have done and look at what went well for them.
We are miles behind, The UK government is a joke and the SG isn't far behind.   Worst management in the Western world apart from that cretin Trump.
Also remember our death figures were greatly increased by the decision to though vulnerable people into care homes with unfortunate staff who had no PPE and were spreading the infection round the most vulnerable.  It was the equivalent of sending your kids out to play chicken on the motorway for several hours.
The management of getting out of lockdown is doing more harm to this country than the actual virus end of.
Shambles.

Agree with all of this, but would add that IF the virus takes off again, given that it would be doing so in a much more aware and diligent population (yes I do think so, with some exceptions obviously, this is clearly no longer going to be treated like just some "ach it wont come here mind SARS" type thing ) and given the tracing, extra beds, extra ventilators, CPAP machines, and the new steroid treatment, does a "second wave" ever look anything like the first?

We have no fucking excuse not to be able to ride out any uptick in infections now alongside a fully functioning society.

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Isn't that more or less what places like NZ have done with success (until the recent Brit were at it again)

They did that from start though. Our scientists said this wasn't necessary, so we didn't as the Government decided not to go against that. We now have our quarantine, of course, which is widely derided as being far too late to be effective. 

NZ screwed up by not testing the two that were allowed in properly and letting them leave. They were only allowed back in for compassionate reasons (dying relative) and as a result of the cock up, NZ have now banned travel for that reason. 

Isn't that more or less what places like NZ have done with success (until the recent Brit were at it again)
Yeah, which is absolutely not an option for us once again due to the open border with England. There is little to no point in going for a deeper suppression than England. Granted it would be good to get that, but at the cost of weeks more restrictions destroying our society when it can all be unpicked on a whim by people travelling freely from a country with different rules, it's not worth it the price.

57 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I've no issue if that's the plan but think it's very important to convey what the infections/daily positive tests/deaths threshold is for reopening each sector. 

Both the UK & SG to date have been reluctant to give any indication of what their thresholds are.

The figure of "under 20" is an interesting one to suggest though, as we are not far away from that now, never mind August 11th. We only have 2 days figures of the new totals, but the average so far is 22.

Sturgeon basically confirming we want to suppress the virus as low as possible in an attempt to get to some actual normality.
I don't disagree with that approach in principle but surely the SG have to take more into account than just the daily death/infection figures?

If their plan is to suppress figures to almost 0 then fair enough but that shouldn't be at the expense of education/the economy as we're then very much into the territory of the cure being worse than the disease.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
29 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Yeah, which is absolutely not an option for us once again due to the open border with England. There is little to no point in going for a deeper suppression than England. Granted it would be good to get that, but at the cost of weeks more restrictions destroying our society when it can all be unpicked on a whim by people travelling freely from a country with different rules, it's not worth it the price.

Unless you are the Scottish Government and you want to blame Westminster for any second wave.

The figure of "under 20" is an interesting one to suggest though, as we are not far away from that now, never mind August 11th. We only have 2 days figures of the new totals, but the average so far is 22.

Think it means twenty active cases in total, rather than being uncovered every day.

Very hard to see how we can get close to that, to be honest. Maybe in February, not now with flights returning and the tourism industry about to be opened up to all, including the open border with England (~1500 cases per day).

Coronavirus came to UK at least 1300 times

The above made the news last week but didn't gain much traction due to some other event (probably Johnson loosening restrictions in haste). A complete and utter failure, showing only too well the consequences of not closing the border and quarantining arrivals. 

Then there's the care holes fiasco, which was about the most fucking obvious thing in the world - old and sick people will die if exposed to the virus yet it was allowed to happen anyway. 

It is of course too late to undo these decisions and we have to live with them, but they also inform the way that we now respond to getting ourselves out the lockdown. Aiming for suppression now seems foolish and undeliverable. You need to take that approach from the start.