Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

If Covid has shown anything, it’s shown that you can catch something with varying levels of severity. Maybe all those tikes I’ve told myself I just had a bad cold, I actually did have flu!

Ha yeah I suppose that's true. 

The only flaw in your post is this. You don't / can't know that isn't what's happening already.
No one is seriously asking for Phase 3 on Thursday. Only Phase 2 in full.
It appears all we are getting on Thursday is more social interaction. Shops will not be reopening we will be given a date for shops opening instead. Painfully slow stuff.

26 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
The only flaw in your post is this. You don't / can't know that isn't what's happening already.
No one is seriously asking for Phase 3 on Thursday. Only Phase 2 in full.

It appears all we are getting on Thursday is more social interaction. Shops will not be reopening we will be given a date for shops opening instead. Painfully slow stuff.

On paper phasing stage 2 over the next two or three weeks isn't a disaster.

It kills stone dead the idea of phase 3 coming anytime soon though.

The only section I can see being pushed back is the things covered under "shopping, eating and drinking out" which, to be honest, I'd expect most people could live without for a few more weeks.

I'm sure I've said previously but if the current trends continue there's no reason for us not to keep moving through phases (at least in the most part) at 3 week intervals.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why the 15th of July heads up for the tourism/leisure sector then?

Fair point.

It doesn't make sense to give a date for a Phase 3 event, whilst still in Phase 1, though.

The reason given for spacing out easing of restrictions is that it takes time to see if anything has a negative effect. That's accepted I think by everyone as a good idea.

If they ease the Phase 2 restrictions over 3 weeks, the potential is there for there to be little over 1 week before the next review date of 9th July to see if there is any negative effect.

That completely contradicts absolutely everything that has been said about the timing and phasing of the route map up until now.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fair point.

It doesn't make sense to give a date for a Phase 3 event, whilst still in Phase 1, though.

The reason given for spacing out easing of restrictions is that it takes time to see if anything has a negative effect. That's accepted I think by everyone as a good idea.

If they ease the Phase 2 restrictions over 3 weeks, the potential is there for there to be little over 1 week before the next review date of 9th July to see if there is any negative effect.

That completely contradicts absolutely everything that has been said about the timing and phasing of the route map up until now.

The route map went out the window as soon as it become obvious that the talk of speeding it up if numbers allowed was clearly shown to be lies, and also that the stipulated restrictions to be eased in phase 2 barely survived a week of contact with phase one before the goalposts got moved. 

If that wasnt enough, the insistence that various things cant be operated as normal (take schools for example) come mid to late August, September then take your pick for how long, despite having no other facts than a steep downward trend in all metrics makes the roadmap quite simply not worth a f**k. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fair point.

To be slightly fair, this is a fast moving situation.

France for instance, went from complete lockdown a month ago and saying that its borders would remain closed until September, to opening everything up for holidaymakers from the EU (f**k the UK) from today.

23 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

The only section I can see being pushed back is the things covered under "shopping, eating and drinking out" which, to be honest, I'd expect most people could live without for a few more weeks.

Why should they though if there is no credible grounds on which to maintain these restrictions? If they were considered a higher risk activity then they should have been put in phase 3 in the first place, it is not the job of the government to pick and choose what amenities people 'deserve' to have access to based on moralising alone.

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The route map went out the window as soon as it become obvious that the talk of speeding it up if numbers allowed was clearly shown to be lies, and also that the stipulated restrictions to be eased in phase 2 barely survived a week of contact with phase one before the goalposts got moved. 

If that wasnt enough, the insistence that various things cant be operated as normal (take schools for example) come mid to late August, September then take your pick for how long, despite having no other facts than a steep downward trend in all metrics makes the roadmap quite simply not worth a f**k. 

Good point.

On the subject of schools. What's happening elsewhere with schools that have gone back?

Are they back as normal?

And for those going back after summer, are they planning on making it as awkward as possible, or is it just us doing that?

Edited by Todd_is_God

I'm sure I've said previously but if the current trends continue there's no reason for us not to keep moving through phases (at least in the most part) at 3 week intervals.
NS confirmed today that despite what the guide says she will only announce a date for small retailers reopening on Thursday, she won't be announcing they can reopen from Thursday.

42 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why the 15th of July heads up for the tourism/leisure sector then?

So they can prepare for the Leicester hordes, subject to R presumably.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Are there still currently numbers indicating that we should be so far behind England? Because they are easing more and faster and yet the time lag is getting bigger. 

Nicola caring more and keeping us safe

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Good point.

1) On the subject of schools. What's happening elsewhere with schools that have gone back?

2) Are they back as normal?

3) And for those going back after summer, are they planning on making it as awkward as possible, or is it just us doing that?

1) No schools have 'gone back', apart from those that have been open all along for key workers' childcare. Some of those have allowed slightly more children in, most haven't.

2) N/A

3) I don't think 'making things as awkward as possible' factors into the reopening planning, but there are obviously restrictions on how many pupils are going to be allowed into the building at any one time. Different councils will have different ways of implementing that how they see fit.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

1) No schools have 'gone back', apart from those that have been open all along for key workers' childcare. Some of those have allowed slightly more children in, most haven't.

2) N/A

3) I don't think 'making things as awkward as possible' factors into the reopening planning, but there are obviously restrictions on how many pupils are going to be allowed into the building at any one time. Different councils will have different ways of implementing that how they see fit.

By "elsewhere" I meant across Europe

NS confirmed today that despite what the guide says she will only announce a date for small retailers reopening on Thursday, she won't be announcing they can reopen from Thursday.
Has she been asked to explain why the delay? Were they hoping for better numbers in order to move to phase 2 in its entirity? Or are they regretting the phases document?

7 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

She also thinks the virus is "highly intelligent" tbf.

Compared to her?

It's not earth shattering revelations. It can be bad, worse for some than others and has a long recovery period. All the reasons we're in lockdown.

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Has she been asked to explain why the delay? Were they hoping for better numbers in order to move to phase 2 in its entirity? Or are they regretting the phases document?

I would hope that those questions are asked and answered following Thursday