Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Govan was crawling with polis earlier, saw 5 pairs on foot, one pair on bike and a few vans just cruising about. A bit disconcerting, trial runs for shut down maybe, especially as they've got no events to police now.

Last September I made an effort to fill cupboards with beans and tomatoes when they were on offer in Lidl anticipating price rises after no deal Brexit so I'm very well stocked. I'm going to do one more lidl shop to fill up on fresher stuff and then I'm locking down. Reckon I could go over a month with what I have, might need to adopt the Calcutta rinse by the end though.

I reckon we've about a month's worth of food in our freezers and cupboards, The only problem would be milk, bread, eggs etc.

Youngest stepdaughter is talking about doing our shopping for us so I don't need to go out. (Both my wife and myself have "underlying health issues".)

2 hours ago, Romeo said:

So they are testing people?

And not.."not testing anyone"?

I think you understood perfectly what I was saying.

The UK is only testing people admitted to hospital, which in relation to the people who actually have the virus but haven't been admitted to hospital will quite obviously be a fraction of the actual people infected.

As such, when the UK reports its figures it's gives a completely false picture of the actual reality.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I reckon we've about a month's worth of food in our freezers and cupboards, The only problem would be milk, bread, eggs etc.

Youngest stepdaughter is talking about doing our shopping for us so I don't need to go out. (Both my wife and myself have "underlying health issues".)

I can't help with the bread but you could always abduct a hen and a cow from the local farm.

Having said that, the next move could be to look out the old fishing rod and hope that there's still trout swimming around the local burn.

Give it another week and the whole country will be on full on panic mode going by what's been happening recently and maybe the cow, hen and fishing advice may not sound so ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Don't blame you mate.

Just as well you never needed the soup, as the shelf had been pillaged.

Lidl in Dumbarton has a great instore bakery btw 👍

Soups from my freezer!!

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The UK is only testing people admitted to hospital, which in relation to the people who actually have the virus but haven't been admitted to hospital will quite obviously be a fraction of the actual people infected.

As such, when the UK reports its figures it's gives a completely false picture of the actual reality.

Can you imagine the pandemonium if they announced they would test everyone who wanted it, symptoms or not?
Take the toilet roll fiasco and multiple it by 1000.

Stocked up on red wine, beer, gin and crisps today. Also bought a Netflix subscription so if I have self-isolate at least I'll be too drunk to care.

On the down side, the wife and I are meant to be going to Majorca on the 29th for a week. Looks like that's fkd now

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

When I used to work in asda 20 years ago, 4pm every day was Rumble Hour, and it would be announced like:

It's 4pm. Let's. Get. Reaaaadyyy toooooo RRRRRRRRRRUMMMMBLEEEE

then ant and Dec let's get ready to rumble would come on

Absolute agony

Christ, I'd have been arguing constructive dismissal !!

17 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

No toilet roll,soap,bleach,tinned goods ,dug food ,baby milk ,loads of fucking pineappleade though.

I saw this reference to plenty pineappleade left yesterday. Is this a joke I'm not getting?

2 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Can you imagine the pandemonium if they announced they would test everyone who wanted it, symptoms or not?

There is a piece of an interview somewhere that explains how they do it in China with temperatures taken before people enter restaurants, bars etc. Folk with high temps don't get in. They do it with public transport as well as public buildings and so on.  That could work here.

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I don't disagaree, however other countries are still proactively testing where we're telling people to self isolate and stay away from surgeries, as such our "actual" figures can be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

33 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Is she any relation to Tsutomu Yamaguchi?

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The Government's estimate is about 10,000, so they're not hiding it, just thinking that it's too late in the cycle to go around testing people at home and concentrate on places it definitely helps, like hospitals.

Edited by welshbairn

Just been in my local supermarket getting milk. There was a notice on the door asking customers to respect their staff. Speaking with one of the stressed out staff in there they said it had been worse than the Christmas rush today. They also had a list of items that are being restricted.
There was no toilet roll or pasta either.
I have stocked up on stock cubes and broth mix to see me through the hard times ahead!

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The UK is only testing people admitted to hospital

Yet you said they arrived at the figure for people infected without testing anyone?

Which is it? They are testing or they are not testing?

My daughter's school yesterday were making sure every pupil had everything they needed to access online resources like GLOW and Show My Homework, while my niece in 5th year at another school said all the 4th-6th year pupils were issued with their new iPads. I'd be surprised if the schools are still open by Monday week. I would guess they will try and hold on until they stop for Easter on 3rd April, but doubt they can wait that long.