Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Not even close, I'm afraid...

Seriously though, I know I go on about it but I get the impression that lots of businesses will use this as an excuse to trim the workforce and say well we can do the same with half the staff and just keep it going. Staff are being conscientious and doing their best to help out but it’s not sustainable long term. It’s not for a few months that you will notice the cracks appearing and morale and work rate will go down as well.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What point does this make?

I've no concept of how this compares to any other infection either. Is this unusual?

No idea. Does shows that young children don't cause clusters so schools could go back to relative normality and stay the f**k away from yer gran.

That's it now law to have to wear a face covering on public transport in England (and Wales?) without reasonable excuse. 
Edit: as of tomorrow. More legislation just fucked out there with no debate on a Sunday night. Quality 
That was announced last week. Keep up

36 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pretty sure that Grant Shapps or some other government drone announced that this would come into effect during the week so it's presumably covered already by the government's emergency powers. The only things to debate is why it took this idiotic government so long to make such a straightforward requirement obligatory and why the supposedly 'safe and steady' approach of the SG has found itself behind the curve yet again. 

It comes into effect tomorrow. The point is the emergency powers aren't really required anymore because Parliament is sitting and can fix the legislation, as with most of the previous emergency legislation, errors have been discovered making difficult to enforce / issues with the law meaning changes have had to be made after the fact that would normally be fixed if it was given proper parliamentary scrutiny. Its verging on government by hancock's decree, not really ideal imo

Not that it really matters to us as its English only law, but it should be to everyone's concern that this govt are so readily getting into the habit of imposing law under emergency powers that aren't really required, that essentially restrict the liberty of citizens in pretty extreme ways (and firing them out on a Sunday night to become law in the morning) 

As for the teaching, I'm only talking about English - I don't know what other subjects' exams require of the students. I have taught higher on a number of occasions though, and the critical essay is absolutely brutal for the majority of students, and it wouldn't be fair to disadvantage this year's cohort by a) teaching them a skill that isn't required when whatever replaces the exam is what they'll need to cover to get a pass (or more importantly uni entrance grade) or b) teaching them that skill without the *certainty* that it will be required, which would impact on work rate / motivation etc until its confirmed it's (not) needed. Can't understate the amount of time needed to teach this particular skill - a scraping through higher class could need as much as 40-50% of teaching time /homework /after school study focused on this alone. 

Edited by madwullie

20 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
1 hour ago, madwullie said:
That's it now law to have to wear a face covering on public transport in England (and Wales?) without reasonable excuse. 
Edit: as of tomorrow. More legislation just fucked out there with no debate on a Sunday night. Quality 

That was announced last week. Keep up

I'm talking about the nitty gritty of the legislation that has only been published tonight, and the fact it's concerning that such legislation severely restricting civil liberties (fined for not wearing a mask on a bus tomorrow for eg) is being rushed through without parliamentary scrutiny on a now regular basis.

Masks have been in the pipline for ages - what was stopping it being properly proposed, debated, voted on and the triggered when required. That's not how govt is meant to work in this country 

Edited by madwullie

18 minutes ago, madwullie said:

As for the teaching, I'm only talking about English - I don't know what other subjects' exams require of the students. I have taught higher on a number of occasions though, and the critical essay is absolutely brutal for the majority of students, and it wouldn't be fair to disadvantage this year's cohort by a) teaching them a skill that isn't required when whatever replaces the exam is what they'll need to cover to get a pass (or more importantly uni entrance grade) or b) teaching them that skill without the *certainty* that it will be required, which would impact on work rate / motivation etc until its confirmed it's (not) needed. Can't understate the amount of time needed to teach this particular skill - a scraping through higher class could need as much as 40-50% of teaching time /homework /after school study focused on this alone. 

Well no, because being able to write a coherent, critical essay under a strict time deadline develops an important transferable skill: just because it's hard to teach doesn't mean that it's any less necessary.

The only reason that students would be left at a disadvantage here is if teachers refuse to commit to giving them the same overall teaching time to complete the course as they would have provided students in any other year. If that ends up meaning teaching on a Saturday morning or during the February week as well then that's just tough. Whereas if the SQA ditched the critical essay requirement from the exam instead then students would in fact be permanently disadvantaged by universities and employers looking sideways at their diet qualifications that they 'achieved' in 2021.

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no, because being able to write a coherent, critical essay under a strict time deadline develops an important transferable skill: just because it's hard to teach doesn't mean that it's any less necessary.

The only reason that students would be left at a disadvantage here is if teachers refuse to commit to giving them the same overall teaching time to complete the course as they would have provided students in any other year. If that ends up meaning teaching on a Saturday morning or during the February week as well then that's just tough. Whereas if the SQA ditched the critical essay requirement from the exam instead then students would in fact be permanently disadvantaged by universities and employers looking sideways at their diet qualifications that they 'achieved' in 2021.

Maybe in not expressing myself well here. I'll try once more. 

If there is not going to be an exam next year its important teachers know as far in advance as possible because skills that they will focus their teaching on to ensure the pupils pass as well as possible won't be as important as the content that will need to be completed to do whatever the SQA require in lieu of an exam. If for eg another novel is required, then the teaching time will have to go into that. Otherwise, pupils will be disadvantaged.

And yes I agree its a transferable skill, but only really if you go onto uni / a lifetime of arguing on football forums. A large proportion of kids won't use their critical essay skills that much after school. And higher courses are so tight you don't really have time to teach what would be nice to teach. 

Fwiw I was (relatively speaking) a skiving b*****d when I was a teacher and even I did after school study, February week supported study and Easter revision, so that would be nothing new for almost everyone. 

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's f**k all in a country of 60 million.

Similar to when Scotland had zero a couple of times it’s also pointless celebrating the figures at the weekend when they are recorded with such limitations.