Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, virginton said:

Though given that Inverclyde for one local authority already plans to extend the working day in schools next year, they're going to be in for a fight to preserve that anyway.

How will that be possible? They already work 21 hours a day, 7 days a week as it is?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

If everything is opened up and the infection rate and hospilisation rate takes off again it will have been pretty pointless having a lockdown.

But why would it with an extensive and costly test and protect system in place, aswell as increased vigilance re personal hygiene among the population? Binning the 2 metre nonsense doesnt mean we all need to run about cuddling eachother. I think it's fair to expect people still to keep unnecessary contact to a minimum for a while without pile driving normal life into the ground over an arbitrary distance. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you're on furlough then you understandably have very little incentive for the country to 'go back to normal' right now.

Personally I am in that group and i'm chomping at the bit to A get back to work, and B get normality back. I'll add the caveat that i'm not getting the 20% top up so i'm losing money hand over fist too. If i was on 100% i may feel differently.

Sitting about is pish as I can't do anything i'd normally do for fun, and queuing for 20 minutes to do a shop that should take 5 minutes is also shite.

It was decent for about 2 weeks as it was like an extra bit of annual leave, but after that I can't see why anyone is enjoying it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If everything is opened up and the infection rate and hospilisation rate takes off again it will have been pretty pointless having a lockdown.

The lockdown was not meant to be a long term, virus eradicating measure. The SG, unlike WM, are now almost treating it as such

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The point of having a lockdown - initially for three weeks - was to stop NHS critical care facilities from being overwhelmed, not to wait out the virus until it goes away of its own accord. The government has had twelve weeks instead to make sufficient preparations to contain outbreaks in the community, to provide mass testing capacity, to secure health service capacity and to make sure that the social care hand-off isn't as utterly fucking disastrous as it was back then. If the lockdown proves pointless then it'll be because the government has failed on all four of the above tasks and not because somebody had the temerity to visit a restaurant.

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Isn't Swinney just saying we can't guarantee anything at this stage?

I think my main issue is the rather than meaningless guff about how the measures won’t be in place “any longer than necessary”. 

Given he/they haven’t defined what the criteria is for measuring necessity or offered any reassurance that there are proactive steps being taken towards full reopening.

Where is the public commitment to specific Scottish Government funded research on transmission by children to adults in the context of schools reopening? Any mention of formal monitoring of, and partnership with, countries like Belgium where primary school opened fully this month?

Hiding behind “the science” with no detail is unacceptable now. 

It’s highly possible that in August there will be zero deaths and zero transmissions. Are we really going to have kids in school one day a week with blended learning if that’s the case? Can’t see it holding.

4 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Hiding behind “the science” with no detail is unacceptable now. 

I can't speak for our European neighbours, but here "the science" is a useless buzzword which serves no purpose in an explanation other than as a pseudo-justification for whatever BJ or NS wants to do.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I can't speak for our European neighbours, but here "the science" is a useless buzzword which serves no purpose in an explanation other than as a pseudo-justification for whatever BJ or NS wants to do.

I have said this before, but over here we use the number of the people in hospital because of covid to decide on whether measures can be lifted. In fact things have moved quicker than originally planned because when the first measures were lifted, the decrease was more than expected. There is little mention of the fucking bullshit R number.

It’s highly possible that in August there will be zero deaths and zero transmissions. Are we really going to have kids in school one day a week with blended learning if that’s the case? Can’t see it holding.
That's my hope. Surely the pressure from the public would be too much. Especially when teachers and other key workers are getting full time childcare for free, whilst everyone else has to find at least 3 days a week (often different days) themselves.

8 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I have said this before, but over here we use the number of the people in hospital because of covid to decide on whether measures can be lifted. In fact things have moved quicker than originally planned because when the first measures were lifted, the decrease was more than expected. There is little mention of the fucking bullshit R number.

Seems sensible. Where are you, Ireland?

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's my hope. Surely the pressure from the public would be too much.

You would think so. However a quick check on the replies to any NS tweet suggests it may not be.

I've even seen some comments along the lines of us moving too fast 😂

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Can we all agree to stop calling what we had in the UK a "lockdown"? Pubs being closed and people going to buy ice cream 5 nights a week does not constitute house arrest under threat of martial law.

No. 

I'm going to call it lockdown 

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Fantastic, let's f**k up the future's of our children even more by denying them mixing with their friends and receiving a proper education for a virus that has a minuscule mortality rate.  

Of course after the outcry then will back peddle as per.

Unbelievable.  75 pct who are showing antibodies didnt even realise they had it ffs.

Economy fucked, children's futures fucked, health service fucked. Never mind though.

I can’t agree more. There’s been about 2 people and I saying the same thing for weeks now. It’s “good” to see more people coming around to the fact we can’t and shouldn’t be living like this long term. Reading the school thing today really saddened me, I feel sorry for kids and their lack of social interaction right now, not to mention their lack of structured learning. God knows how parents are expected to get around the childcare issue. With each passing day is becoming clear that SG want zero cases and zero deaths before “normal life” is resumed. That’s a ridiculous line of thinking 

I know they are always low at the weekend, but NHS England have announced just 27 newly registered deaths in English hospitals, with only 4 (so far) being from yesterday

20200614_141207.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God