Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Condensing that woe is me pish into the two critical points here:
1) Lesson planning and professional development time are within the terms of the contract that you both freely signed up to and want to protect at all costs. You don't get to count it as double while you aren't actually doing the core tasks, nice try though.
2) The only people deploying 'arrogance and personal anecdotes' in this debate are teachers themselves, furious that the independent and fact-based findings of the Children's Commissioner have busted their convenient wee jolly/hero narrative. That they think that an account of how many embryos they and everyone that they know are sweating right now trumps a comprehensive study showing how piss-poor the student workload has been during lockdown explains why so many of them ended up with 2:1s or Desmonds in the first place and their inevitable career choice from there.

Is that the English Children’s Commissioner report or the Scottish one?

Guest SJP79
16 minutes ago, bendan said:

I think part of the problem is that 'lockdown' isn't a clearly defined term. We were already social distancing to a significant extent long before March 23, people were washing hands much more, lots of people were working from home.

I thought some of the lockdowm measures were extreme also, the exercise once a day being the main one. 

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

We will get these kids back on track without the need for ‘extra shifts’. It’s our job to ensure that happens.

Not unless you restore the overall teacher-led instruction time to the same as it would be for any previous cohort. So no October and February weeks for you and Saturday morning classes all round it is.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Teachers are the backbone of this country. FACT!

That's the harshest possible rebuke I've seen dished out to them, fair play. 

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Is that the English Children’s Commissioner report or the Scottish one?

I've provided a link to the report so read the findings and discover for yourself. It's not as if you've got anything else to do.

I've provided a link to the report so read the findings and discover for yourself. It's not as if you've got anything else to do.

No thanks. It’s the English one, I’ll rubber it thanks, just like most of you opinions on a job you clearly don’t understand.

There is a similar, if albeit shorter, report of sorts from the Scottish CC. Have a read, you definitely don’t have anything else to do.

https://cypcs.org.uk/wpcypcs/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Education-and-Skills-Committee-Evidence-June-2020.pdf

Also, as I said earlier, we’ll get the kids caught up, don’t you worry.

4 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

No thanks. It’s the English one, I’ll rubber it thanks, just like most of you opinions on job you clearly don’t understand.

Looks like we've got a Desmond here.

NB: That's also not even a remotely 'similar' report to the English Commissioner's yesterday, given that the latter objectively measures the outcomes of home learning activities while that document is merely a description of what the government's obligations are to children. It's a wonder that our education system even employs chumps like you who can't distinguish the difference between those two types of data but that's probably why the country is the laughing stock of Europe.

Edited by vikingTON

Looks like we've got a Desmond here.
NB: That's also not even a remotely 'similar' report to the English Commissioner's yesterday, given that the latter objectively measures the outcomes of home learning activities while that document is merely a description of what the government's obligations are to children. It's a wonder that our education system even employs chumps like you who can't distinguish the difference between those two types of data but that's probably why the country is the laughing stock of Europe.

You still going on?

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

very similar to my experience - I'd still go to uni again but that's thinking with my heart, with my head I'd be a sparky or similar.

I’d still go to Uni for first year - absolutely tremendous. I’d leave and get a trade after that.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

very similar to my experience - I'd still go to uni again but that's thinking with my heart, with my head I'd be a sparky or similar.

After watching The Repair Shop religiously I would have gone straight into a craft or trade. Probably wouldn't have had the patience though, so a bit pointless regretting choices.

After watching The Repair Shop religiously I would have gone straight into a craft or trade. Probably wouldn't have had the patience though, so a bit pointless regretting choices.
I love this show.

And i see vikinton has ruffled a few feathers with his fishing trip. But he's quite clearly a c**t of a man, and he's ripping the arse out of it now.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Wee bit surprised by this.

Estimates for R in Scotland have been below 1 (and fairly static) since the lockdown began.

Screenshot_20200611-221602_Opera.jpg

That graph is incredibly hard to believe. It seems clearly to be fitted to assumptions and models  rather than actual data.

7 minutes ago, bendan said:

That graph is incredibly hard to believe. It seems clearly to be fitted to assumptions and models  rather than actual data.

I agree. But given it is here 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-scotland-issue-no-4/

I imagine the SG must believe it

I find it absolutely staggering that, when confronted with the figure that GDP has dropped by 20%, NS's response is to appeal to WM for more money.

Deaths following a positive Covid-19 test now form just 3% of expected daily deaths. How low does this figure need to fall before we accept that we need to get moving?

The obvious solution is to allow businesses to open, and people to earn & spend money.