Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Bollocks

It's undoubtedly better than the shitshow down south. But if it's as planned a strategy as you say, care to explain why some elements of phase 2 aren't going to go ahead? Seems like the plan is getting re-drawn at the very first hurdle

Baulking at the big decisions.

The SNP are clearly very good at saying the right things and looking better than the shit show down South, but meaningful progressive leadership appears beyond them atm.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

What's the point of taking your gloves off before you leave the house? 

Why are you wearing gloves in the house?

Disposable gloves are designed to protect you from undesirables, not others from yours.

Washing your hands properly is more hygienic than wearing gloves.

It's why food handlers here are not required to wear them.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Baulking at the big decisions.

The SNP are clearly very good at saying the right things and looking better than the shit show down South, but meaningful progressive leadership appears beyond them atm.

Absolutely. Leading from the front is not agenda.

37 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Wash your hands, and use a hand sanitiser after touching the door handle if you want to be extra safe.

I really don't see where the risk is providing you aren't a clatty b*****d.

Maybe covid can use the back door thanks to the magic of splashback? 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why are you wearing gloves in the house?

Disposable gloves are designed to protect you from undesirables, not others from yours.

Washing your hands properly is more hygienic than wearing gloves.

It's why food handlers here are not required to wear them.

How are you going to wash your hands before going in the house of a vulnerable person? Gloves make the whole thing simpler, and safer for both parties. 

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Absolutely. Leading from the front is not agenda.

It's probably why they don't push harder for independence or at least a referendum.

So long as we remain in the union they can highlight how shit WM treats us, and what they would do better if only they were allowed to do so.

Right now they have an opportunity to have complete control that they would not have been expecting, and it has become quite apparant that when it comes to taking the lead and making the big decisions, they don't have it in them.

A shame really.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How are you going to wash your hands before going in the house of a vulnerable person? Gloves make the whole thing simpler, and safer for both parties. 

Who mentioned a vulnerable person?

My parents are not vulnerable. Me nipping in to their toilet for a pish does not need disposable gloves to be safe.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Who mentioned a vulnerable person?

My parents are not vulnerable. Me nipping in to their toilet for a pish does not need disposable gloves to be safe.

I assumed @madwullie was, otherwise he wouldn't be worried about his kid using the toilet. And he's shielded himself so a bit of mutual protection.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's probably why they don't push harder for independence or at least a referendum.

So long as we remain in the union they can highlight how shit WM treats us, and what they would do better if only they were allowed to do so.

Right now they have an opportunity to have complete control that they would not have been expecting, and it has become quite apparant that when it comes to taking the lead and making the big decisions, they don't have it in them.

A shame really.

That only holds if you believe that the only metric that they can be judged against is speed out of lockdown. Scot Gov is taking a cautious approach to removing lockdown which reflects the temperament of its leadership, but I doubt it can be viewed as baulking big decisions if they are truly of the opinion that a slower route out is overall safer.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I assumed @madwullie was, otherwise he wouldn't be worried about his kid using the toilet. And he's shielded himself so a bit of mutual protection.

Yeah plus my dad is 78 and as far as I'm concerned should be shielding due to medical stuff, but he didn't get a letter. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

By August there will be so little Covid that schools will just open as usual.

By August it will be a pisstake if things aren’t open as usual (presuming covid numbers are as they are now or lower). There’s a real possibility there will be no deaths for days/weeks by then yet kids have only to go to school two days a week? Absolute madness that people would accept things like standing outside in the pissing rain to get into a shop, or still following arrows once you’re inside, oh and the 2 metre rule 

Guest SJP79
3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

By August it will be a pisstake if things aren’t open as usual (presuming covid numbers are as they are now or lower). There’s a real possibility there will be no deaths for days/weeks by then yet kids have only to go to school two days a week? Absolute madness that people would accept things like standing outside in the pissing rain to get into a shop, or still following arrows once you’re inside, oh and the 2 metre rule 

But the deaths and cases are low because of the lockdown, you need to be very careful of becoming complacent and seeing a surge in cases again. 

Just now, SJP79 said:

But the deaths and cases are low because of the lockdown, you need to be very careful of becoming complacent and seeing a surge in cases again. 

Of course, but of the countries that have been out of lockdown for weeks now I don’t recall any having the mythical “second wave”

25 minutes ago, renton said:

I doubt it can be viewed as baulking big decisions if they are truly of the opinion that a slower route out is overall safer.

It can if it needlessly costs jobs and businesses.

Measures can be eased with minimal risk. We've seen it across europe and, to and extent, England on much bigger numbers than we have here.

Despite saying they are doing what is best for Scotland, it is undoubtably a political decision to stay behind England every step of the way.

Guest SJP79
1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Of course, but of the countries that have been out of lockdown for weeks now I don’t recall any having the mythical “second wave”

Some are doing well yes but they are also being very careful in thier approach. 

In India some cities are seeing huge numbers again and hospitals are being overwelmed, and there could be a lot of cases coming in the USA after the protests and riots. 

4 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

Some are doing well yes but they are also being very careful in thier approach. 

In terms of Europe all are doing well.

Our numbers are akin to the likes of Finland, Norway and Denmark.

Our restrictions should be starting to reflect this.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I’ve certainly noticed a change in tone from the media in the last week or so. Tonight on BBC Scotland news they were talking about how the social distancing “distance” should be cut to 1 metres to allow businesses to get back up and running. There seems to be a bit of pressure from the media to get things moving again, whereas before last week it was all doom and gloom/scaremongering 

Edited by Thereisalight..