Coronavirus (COVID-19)

By August there will be so little Covid that schools will just open as usual.

That was a discussion I had with my head teacher this morning. We are being asked to put plans in place based on the current situation, and they may very will be inappropriate come August.

Having smaller numbers of kids may be great for getting them used to being back in school, and the new routines and hygiene etc. but I’m not personally sure if they would still be in place by the September break, and I certainly don’t think they would still be necessary if trends continue

Yeah my partners sister is a primary school teacher in North Ayrshire and this is the case at her school. She seemed to think it is sensible and that it is definitely be like that till October but they are expecting it to continue like that till January. I personally think it is mental especially as there are still another 2 months until the schools are due back.
There's simply no way that the current restrictions on schools reopening will continue, unless there's a second spike.

The councils are working flat out to fit it together and by August it'll be completely different. The pressure is already building on sturgeon to speed up the easing - what's it going to be like in 2 months time!!

The numbers are looking brilliant, they couldn't have gone any better. So unless there's a major spike over the summer i can see schools being back to normal by September - October at the latest. When they go back in August things will be a giant cluster f**k and keeping in going for months with penny numbers of infections would be insane.

I'm a union rep, and we can only put in place plans as they're currently outlined - but f**k me this level of disruption simply can't continue unless the virus is back with a vengeance.

There's simply no way that the current restrictions on schools reopening will continue, unless there's a second spike.

The councils are working flat out to fit it together and by August it'll be completely different. The pressure is already building on sturgeon to speed up the easing - what's it going to be like in 2 months time!!

The numbers are looking brilliant, they couldn't have gone any better. So unless there's a major spike over the summer i can see schools being back to normal by September - October at the latest. When they go back in August things will be a giant cluster f**k and keeping in going for months with penny numbers of infections would be insane.

I'm a union rep, and we can only put in place plans as they're currently outlined - but f**k me this level of disruption simply can't continue unless the virus is back with a vengeance.

Completely agree with this

6 minutes ago, stuart87 said:

Completely agree with this

The only problem is the schools must have restrictions until Phase 4.

As much as I hope / expect it will be almost a "what was that all about?" scenario up here by then, I can't see us being in Phase 4 by 11th August.

Rightly or wrongly, the restrictions on schools will be in place until English schools are back.

Edited by Todd_is_God

This is my exact scenario. I live too far away from home to travel back and sit in their garden for a day, so have waited until phase 2 where I am allowed to go inside for a piss and (on my understanding) stay over. If that’s restricted to phase 4 in August or something it would mean not seeing a single family member for about 7 months by that point.
Essentially, I think I’ll be going home and staying for a couple of nights in phase 2.

Exactly the same as us. I have see family once (at my granny’s funeral)since Feb as we are up in Aberdeenshire and they’re in the borders. Taking my
Boys down in the summer is something that has kept me going, really hope that’s going to be possible in July.

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

So basically, your suggestion is that the teacher workload is only dealt with as a means to give us extra work?

Aye sure we can be unpaid childcare, great idea. Get that idea to f**k. Then in the sea.

Teachers are still getting paid while doing next to f**k all right now so it seems only fair that they clock up a few extra hours on the other side of the pandemic to make up for that.  Whether that means a six day week or cancelling pointless holidays is up to them and if they end up doing more hours annually than their contract stipulates then they should of course be compensated with higher pay.  

19 minutes ago, super_carson said:

That was a discussion I had with my head teacher this morning. We are being asked to put plans in place based on the current situation, and they may very will be inappropriate come August.

Having smaller numbers of kids may be great for getting them used to being back in school, and the new routines and hygiene etc. but I’m not personally sure if they would still be in place by the September break, and I certainly don’t think they would still be necessary if trends continue

It's only sensible that schools and any other institution create a working plan regardless to deal either with another outbreak over autumn/winter or to dust off whenever the next virus comes along. The entire country was clearly caught napping in a way that East Asian countries who had dealings with SARS and various bird flu outbreaks were not.

Teachers are still getting paid while doing next to f**k all right now so it seems only fair that they clock up a few extra hours on the other side of the pandemic to make up for that.  Whether that means a six day week or cancelling pointless holidays is up to them and if they end up doing more hours annually than their contract stipulates then they should of course be compensated with higher pay.  

You’re really running out of material here, you onerous c**t.

7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I was up visiting my dad last week, and my youngest needed a piss. Told him to go behind the garage. 2 minutes later I heard shouting, turned out he'd decided to do a shit instead. All over his legs, trousers, skants and t-shirt. No change of clothes. Massive toley on the ground. While I ran down to the kitchen door to get my dad to pass me out a bag to put it in the dog went up the back of the garage and ate it. 

Windows down, dog in the boot(hatchback) and total silence for the whole journey home. Would definitely risk my dad getting covid and just let him in the house than go through that again. 

I've got some industrial sterile wipes I'd take in those circumstances. Wipe everything down including the door handles etc as you do when you murder a prostitute in the bathroom.

10 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I was up visiting my dad last week, and my youngest needed a piss. Told him to go behind the garage. 2 minutes later I heard shouting, turned out he'd decided to do a shit instead. All over his legs, trousers, skants and t-shirt. No change of clothes. Massive toley on the ground. While I ran down to the kitchen door to get my dad to pass me out a bag to put it in the dog went up the back of the garage and ate it. 

Windows down, dog in the boot(hatchback) and total silence for the whole journey home. Would definitely risk my dad getting covid and just let him in the house than go through that again. 

Please tell me your youngest is 20.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've got some industrial sterile wipes I'd take in those circumstances. Wipe everything down including the door handles etc as you do when you murder a prostitute in the bathroom.

Wash your hands, and use a hand sanitiser after touching the door handle if you want to be extra safe.

I really don't see where the risk is providing you aren't a clatty b*****d.

You would think that Jack McConnell would know better - a completely inaccurate view of what is happening in schools.

Local Authorities and schools are working flat out to try and get as many in as possible by August - but the reality is that it is not physically possible.

Social distancing rules completely limit the numbers that can get into classrooms - you can't get all pupils in without a doubling of the physical capacity and staffing - neither of which are feasible.

This looks very much like an ignorant political attack - something we could do well without just now.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18509399.former-fm-jack-mcconnell-says-education-prioritised-like-health/
He's full of shite as usual. Ultimately, nothing can be done unless the 2m social distancing guideline is changed. I know my daughter's school reckons that the IT suite that usually accommodates a class of 20 could only take 7 pupils with 2m spacing, home economics is even less as the pupils normally work in pairs to start with. Unless Jack can make a shitload of extra classrooms and teachers appear between now and August, the school's hands are tied.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Wash your hands, and use a hand sanitiser after touching the door handle if you want to be extra safe.

I really don't see where the risk is providing you aren't a clatty b*****d.

Clean disposable gloves when you go in the house, wash your hands with them still on when you're done and after wiping down the toilet. Fine if it's just a family visit to a elderly or vulnerable person, but it would fall apart with a pished up BBQ. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That is utter nonsense - there are whole areas of the economy that are completely out of synch at different rates.

Whatever one might think of the Scottish Government is pretty clear this is a planned strategy compared to the ad hoc make it up as you go along bullshit south of the border.

Bollocks

It's undoubtedly better than the shitshow down south. But if it's as planned a strategy as you say, care to explain why some elements of phase 2 aren't going to go ahead? Seems like the plan is getting re-drawn at the very first hurdle