Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, FFCinthearea said:

The situation is improving and we must be hitting pre lock-down levels now. 

The first day of lockdown the figures were:

+83 cases (47)

+4 deaths (2)

At the peak, 2 weeks later, 7 day average infections were 343

2 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

0.1% of population predicted to currently be infectious

Is it fair, therefore, to multiply the total infections to date by around 20?

Doing so reduces the fatality rate of all infections to roughly 0.75% which is heavily weighted to those over 65

I see we got an explanation for the difference between daily new cases and the figures being contact traced. Appears our daily figures have never included positive cases from the mobile or non SG run testing services in Scotland however those cases are being traced (obviously)

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, Steven W said:
From BBC website,
'The first minister warns we may not be able to do everything in phase two, but she hopes that at least some easing will be possible.'
Think we all know which bit isn't happening. 

Been obvious all week, 15 July it is.

You wonder why that bit was included in Phase 2 to begin with?

I wonder if they were expecting pubs to reopen in England at the same time, probably decided to push it back to be safe since England aren’t opening theirs until July.

That seems ridiculous to say at the moment, but I guess we will only really have a grasp on if he's talking out of his hoop at the end of the year.

If "excess deaths" run negative for Q4, for example, he wouldn't be totally wrong.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I wonder if they were expecting pubs to reopen in England at the same time, probably decided to push it back to be safe since England aren’t opening theirs until July.

Probably. The whole ethos of her policies seems to be to do roughly whatever England does, just a couple of weeks later.

At present, due to the Tory backtrack, our schools are due to go back earlier than theirs. Can't imagine how that sits easy with her. 

Probably. The whole ethos of her policies seems to be to do roughly whatever England does, just a couple of weeks later.
At present, due to the Tory backtrack, our schools are due to go back earlier than theirs. Can't imagine how that sits easy with her. 
Out kids go back the same time before England at that time of year every year, can't see that being an issue up here at all.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Out kids go back the same time before England at that time of year every year, can't see that being an issue up here at all.

I'm aware of that. After yesterday's backtrack, it's now by default that ours will go back several weeks before theirs. Considering the schools issue is the possibly the thorniest and most emotive of all, going by her track record I still can't imagine this would sit easy with NS. 

She'll probably be left with little choice, but in all this business, this will be one of very few aspects of coming out of lockdown that we'll take the lead on.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
35 minutes ago, Steven W said:
You wonder why that bit was included in Phase 2 to begin with?

Correct it did seem to early given you could in effect meet umpteen strangers in a beer garden but restrictions still would prevent that (we assume) anywhere else outside. Ill thought out.

Was it? Phase two also involves being able to meet multiple groups outside in parks, in addition to meeting one other household, socially distanced, inside. Assuming that first bit survives, I dont see why the beer gardens couldnt open.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Was it? Phase two also involves being able to meet multiple groups outside in parks, in addition to meeting one other household, socially distanced, inside. Assuming that first bit survives, I dont see why the beer gardens couldnt open.

Several times now she's said that phase 2 should go ahead. But always qualified it with 'in part' or 'most of'. There's obviously some bit(s) that aren't going to be happening. Beer gardens surely the most likely candidate (hope I'm wrong!), but if not, then what?

Considering the construction industry has been given the go ahead to start returning, I don’t see it being anything but the beer gardens.

Outdoor catering may be allowed, but I can see beer gardens being asked to stay closed.

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Several times now she's said that phase 2 should go ahead. But always qualified it with 'in part' or 'most of'. There's obviously some bit(s) that aren't going to be happening. Beer gardens surely the most likely candidate (hope I'm wrong!), but if not, then what?

I actually think beer gardens are probably small change really: not all pubs that have them will want to open as they might struggle to turn a profit unless the garden is big enough, and our changeable weather probably precludes a lot of people using them anyway. 

You may well be right, but my guess is the effect of allowing them to open will not be that they all open and are stowed out the door.

The two big ticket items to me are the ability to meet multiple households outdoors and the one household indoors, and it's the latter that I'd be concerned about losing out on.