Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Was the Fergus Ewing 15 July announcement intended to put to bed thoughts of pub beer gardens and outside cafe and restaurant areas reopening next week as part of P2 ? Toilets would have been a major issue given they are nearly always inside the premises.

I reckon so, although not sure if toilets have anything to do with it.

If we're onto Phase 2 in its entirety next week, we'd be opening up pubs beer gardens before the rest of the UK - I don't think that's something NS is comfortable with. She's said she's "optimistic on moving to phase 2 next week, at least in part". 

Fairly confident the part that won't happen would be the pub / restaurant beer gardens.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

I reckon so, although not sure if toilets have anything to do with it.

If we're onto Phase 2 in its entirety next week, we'd be opening up pubs beer gardens before the rest of the UK - I don't think that's something NS is comfortable with. She's said she's "optimistic on moving to phase 2 next week, at least in part". 

Fairly confident the part that won't happen would be the pub / restaurant beer gardens.

An invassion of topless plague ridden Geordies in the Borders has been averted.

Track and trace update. The wife one of the English 25,000 finally got her training shift booked and completed yesterday. She has jumped through so many hoops. Probably spent 40 hours on it. She is now guaranteed 8 hours pay.
Now for the shifts.
She has not in the last week seen a single shift available to work till the end of 2020.
Most of the positive covid tests are giving up there details online.
There are 1000s of "employees" absolutely raging at being taken on these zero hours contracts with no prospect of any work.
What this actually means for whether the system is working or not is unclear.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-coachella-cancelled-amid-growing-indications-of-covid-surge-in-autumn-12004537

"Growing indications of Covid surge in autumn"

First time I've seen something like that in print. Not sure where they're getting it from either (I know it's in USA, but the virus doesn't really get too bothered by international borders)

13 minutes ago, Steven W said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-coachella-cancelled-amid-growing-indications-of-covid-surge-in-autumn-12004537

First time I've seen something like that in print. Not sure where they're getting it from either (I know it's in USA, but the virus doesn't really get too bothered by international borders)

From that article.Small mercies and that.

And Glastonbury - which attracts crowds of 200,000 - was forced to abandon plans to celebrate its 50th anniversary this year. Headliners including Diana Ross, Taylor Swift and Sir Paul McCartney were due to perform.

From that article.Small mercies and that.
And Glastonbury - which attracts crowds of 200,000 - was forced to abandon plans to celebrate its 50th anniversary this year. Headliners including Diana Ross, Taylor Swift and Sir Paul McCartney were due to perform.

If large gatherings are restricted, and the govt properly implements track and trace, there is no reason to be majorly worried over a 2nd wave in the UK.

No actual content regarding these growing indications in there.

That said, it hardly takes a genius to see that the coming months in the US are going to be a fucking disaster since the continue to roll back restrictions with cases on the way up.

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That said, it hardly takes a genius to see that the coming months in the US are going to be a fucking disaster since the continue to roll back restrictions with cases on the way up.

No there's not. I noticed that myself.

Is this an example of MSM fearmongering? I know the festival it refers to is in the US, but it hasn't stopped Sky News using the headline of "Covid surge in autumn"

Cases on the increase in 20 states, I see. They're explaining it by saying it's down to increased testing, because of course they have the best testing, no one's testing is better than theirs...

The only "evidence" if you like of a spike in Autumn in the US is this IHME model which, despite what @Forest_Fifer mentions above, expects cases to continue falling until August then shoot back up for whatever reason.

This projection is unusual as, for pretty much everywhere else (eg UK) no rise is projected.

There isn't any explanation (as far as I can see) why the US should be so different.

20200611_110955.jpg

Screenshot_20200611-111434_Opera.jpg

Cases on the increase in 20 states, I see. They're explaining it by saying it's down to increased testing, because of course they have the best testing, no one's testing is better than theirs...
Supa dupa testing it really is

Arizona hospital capacity at 83% and rising.

May
On May 6, researchers at Arizona State University and University of Arizona were instructed to halt their work on a public model for COVID-19 in the United States. Their model had recommended against any reopening before the end of May.[32] Arizona Department of Health also stated that the modeling team would no longer be allowed access to special data sets used for this work.[33] The state announced that it would be using FEMA's model for COVID-19 predictions, although the department also declined to reveal the results of the model.[32]

On May 12, Gov. Ducey announced that the stay at home order would be lifted May 15 and that gyms and pools could begin reopening on May 13.[34]

On May 15, the statewide lockdown order expired. There were 13,169 confirmed cases and 651 deaths related to COVID-19 in Arizona.[35] Gov. Ducey stated that Arizona was in compliance with the CDC's Phase One guidelines and that businesses would be allowed to reopen with social distancing measures. Major league sports were allowed to reopen without fans and only in leagues adhering to CDC guidelines.[35]

June
Two weeks after the stay-at-home-order expired, the state reported a record high of daily hospitalizations suspected to be related to COVID-19, with 1,009 hospitalizations recorded on Mon, June 1.[36][37]

On June 3, there were 22,223 cases and 981 deaths related to COVID-19, as reported by the Arizona health department. Over 345,000 tests for COVID-19 had been performed (nearly 250,000 PCR tests and over 100,000 antibody tests). About 5.7% of tests returned as positive for COVID-19.[38]

By June 8th there was 27,678 cases and 1,047 known deaths[39] and the Arizona Department of Health Services director, Dr. Cara Christ, told hospitals to 'fully activate' emergency plans[40].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Arizona

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Arizona hospital capacity at 83% and rising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Arizona

Christ. The MIL hasn't mentioned anything about the virus in a while, but it sounds like her and everyone she knows are pretty much back to normal. Tremendous.

For the moment, Swedish leaders are on the back foot.

The country’s death rate per million from COVID-19 remains below Europe’s worst-affected nations, such as the U.K. and Spain, but is now 10 times that of neighboring Norway and eight times that of Finland.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/11/sweden-coronavirus-312838