Coronavirus (COVID-19)

34 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Johnson introducing bubbles into England to allow people who live alone to stay over with others.

The more I see the strategy down there, the more I think it’s herd immunity dressed as a lockdown lifting

Well, as testing, tracking and tracing is a shambolic mess, and it's hardly being talked about now ,

that does more or less leave the situation as you describe.

20 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Prof Neil Ferguson was interviewed by a select cmtee today in westminster,basically said if boris had shut down a week earlier the death rate would be halved 

Perhaps had his model on March 14th not understated the number of days for cases to double by anlmost 100% he would have done so...

24 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Cummins has gone on another drive and they’re covering for him again aren’t they?

Cummings damned himself in the first few minutes of his press conference when he admitted driving home, realising his wife had symptoms then going back to work.

Far more serious than his drive to Durham but being totally ignored.

Received a phone call from my GP about half an hour ago to say that I'm being taken off the shielding list. She explained that it is all done on an individual basis and my level of asthma (and the inhalers I take) mean that going forward I am classed as less than high risk, but to continue to shield until the timeframe specified in the initial letter received.

Good news as it means I can get back to work on the 22nd!!
Good. Stop fluffing around and make it to Hungary in September,!

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not particularly bothered about smaller retail outlets tbh. It's welcome for the staff, but it's not much to get excited about

Sorry to be so blunt Todd, but the SG's response to this situation is not all about you

Was the Fergus Ewing 15 July announcement intended to put to bed thoughts of pub beer gardens and outside cafe and restaurant areas reopening next week as part of P2 ? Toilets would have been a major issue given they are nearly always inside the premises.

4 hours ago, super_carson said:

Given Varadkar is a doctor (who re-registered to practice in April) he would probably be one of the best qualified politicians to make such decision. 

But I expect our best case scenario is to move through at 3 week intervals. Realistically, I could see us having some sort of delay between 2 & 3.  No particular reason why I think this, just would be consistent with the slow and steady cautious approach we're on here.  Which is grand when the numbers are high, but if they continue to fall as they have it becomes hard to justify. 

We were far too slow to act when the virus hit and as a result I think Sturgeon is being ultra-cautious on the way out to (over) compensate. Plus, with the shambles that is going on south of the border, this slow and steady approach with clear phases definitely makes us, and her leadership, appear more competent - which it obviously is.

However, we are moving out of this far too slowly. The virus is declining everywhere, no other country has seen any sign of a second wave upon coming out of lockdown (which begs the question of how effective extended lockdowns are anyway), our number of cases is tiny, and there are parts of Scotland with no cases at all. There is going to be a huge knock-on effect of deaths from this lockdown in 6-12 months with delayed operations, delayed cancer diagnosis etc, and we have already seen increases in issues relating to mental health. In addition, the economy is taking a tanking which leads to all the problems associated with that.

Politicians understandably know they will be judged on the 'Covid league table' by how they have dealt with this particular virus, so they have almost a tunnel vision at the moment. But the health and economic consequences of an excessively long lockdown are going to far outweigh positive impact in battling Covid. As someone else said, they wouldn't wait weeks to put in measures upon knowing they were necessary, so waiting weeks to remove restrictions that are no longer needed makes no sense.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Was the Fergus Ewing 15 July announcement intended to put to bed thoughts of pub beer gardens and outside cafe and restaurant areas reopening next week as part of P2 ? Toilets would have been a major issue given they are nearly always inside the premises.

It can't possibly the case that the toilet issue wasn't part of the thinking of allowing outside pubs etc. to open at an earlier stage.

1 minute ago, H Wragg said:
19 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It can't possibly the case that the toilet issue wasn't part of the thinking of allowing outside pubs etc. to open at an earlier stage.

You can go to the toilet inside a supermarket.

Using an indoor toilet as the reason would make no sense in that context.

Which, based on the contradictions everywhere else, probably means it will be used as the reason.

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

As someone else said, they wouldn't wait weeks to put in measures upon knowing they were necessary, so waiting weeks to remove restrictions that are no longer needed makes no sense.

They are required by law to review at least every 3 weeks. Not doing so sooner is a choice.

If it turns out to be the case, I'm struggling to see how to explain and justify how a mass demonstration (where social distancing was not observed) on Glasgow Green had no negative impact on infections, but about 30 people sitting 2m apart in a beer garden is seen as a health risk.

See also sitting across the room from your parents etc.

Edited by Todd_is_God

They are required by law to review at least every 3 weeks. Not doing so sooner is a choice.
If it turns out to be the case, I'm struggling to see how to explain and justify how a mass demonstration (where social distancing was not observed) on Glasgow Green had no negative impact on infections, but about 30 people sitting 2m apart in a beer garden is seen as a health risk.
See also sitting across the room from your parents etc.
The Government must also surely be aware that the pub etc. thing is one of the main Phase 2 things that folk are hanging on to try to get a bit of normality back in their lives, along with loosening of regulations about who you can meet up with and where?