Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

See that's what i don't get either.

They can go out and mingle if they want. Why are they furious?

It's government advice. It's for your own good. But we're talking about reducing risk or increasing it - nothing is guaranteed.

If folk are so angry about it, or if they are feeling genuinely desperate for some contact, then they just need to read the letter again and ignore the advice. This can be done whilst still taking very careful steps to minimise the risk (hand sanitizer, face masks, gloves, anti-bac wipes).

But that's where I'm confused.

Why would anyone who is shielding want to go outside?

I ken that for different folk there are different issues but presumably the folk who are shielding are usually auld with breathing problems and other health issues.

I'm self-isolating but as I posted earlier I'll be making my own decision as to when I go out into the world again.

And I'm definitely no extremely angry

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Seems rules can be broken when suited. A shame for people who couldn’t go to funerals of ones they cared about to “protect the NHS”, yet protests with thousands attending and travelling there is ok 

Do you not get it? If she expresses an opinion either way it undermines the public health message. Only way it works is it's kept non political. 

I'm sure if any of the journalists had asked her the question she would have said she disapproves of any breaking of the social distancing rules and left it there.

Edited by welshbairn

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you not get it? If she expresses an opinion either way it undermines the public health message. Only way it works is it's kept non political. 

I'm sure if any of the journalists had asked her the question she would have said she disapproves of any breaking of the social distancing rules and left it there.

But it’s ok to have a go at the bams and families going to Luss last week. A tad hypocritical imo 

Was interesting to note that the data will shortly be amended to include infections caught at the mobile labs and test and protect. Presumably Scot Gov is concerned that the current data from NHS lab tests only is under reporting the number of cases.

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

But it’s ok to have a go at the bams and families going to Luss last week. A tad hypocritical imo 

A tad hypocritical for a complete moron who can't see the differences between hundreds of bams overloading a tiny village of 400 (mainly elderly) people just so they can get pished in the sunshine and thousands of people protesting against systematic racism, yes.

I'm in the shielding group but the letter was very clear - we have the choice to reject the advice.

I've decided to instead follow a sensible lockdown approach - rather than the strict shielding.

People have to take responsibility for their own decisions.

Are you sensible though? I’ve known you long enough that sensible certainly wouldn’t be on my list. Fantastic footballer with wonderful vision, maybe. But sensible? No.

11 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

22nd June is trending on twitter

Nothing official but people seem to think there will be an announcement that pubs in England will reopen on that date.

Thought it was just beer gardens? 

But that's where I'm confused.
Why would anyone who is shielding want to go outside?
I ken that for different folk there are different issues but presumably the folk who are shielding are usually auld with breathing problems and other health issues.
I'm self-isolating but as I posted earlier I'll be making my own decision as to when I go out into the world again.
And I'm definitely no extremely angry

Yeah i wasn't referring to you willie. Someone had said that on stv there was a report that said shielding folk were outraged.

I'm 39 and got a shielding letter. There are a lot of us young folk with severe illnesses of all types.

I made my decision based on the fact that my condition doesn't in any way affect my lungs. And there was no way i was going to shield myself from my wife and 2 young ones (as stated in the letter). We talked it through, understood the risks, and decided to follow our own careful path. I go out about once a week.

Are you sensible though? I’ve known you long enough that sensible certainly wouldn’t be on my list. Fantastic footballer with wonderful vision, maybe. But sensible? No.
I'm shocked and outraged by this.

But your compliment means ill get over it pretty quick [emoji4]

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Should be a great laugh with 20 people allowed in at a time. 

Perhaps people drink in better pubs than I do, but the thought of me going into my local and only have another 19 of the usual drunk arseholes around me sounds like a fucking great thing. A table to myself with a waiter service bringing me pint after pint? Yes fucking please.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps people drink in better pubs than I do, but the thought of me going into my local and only have another 19 of the usual drunk arseholes around me sounds like a fucking great thing. A table to myself with a waiter service bringing me pint after pint? Yes fucking please.

I’d imagine the issue being referred to is the vast majority not being allowed in pubs if only 20 people are allowed in at a time.

48 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

22nd June is trending on twitter

Nothing official but people seem to think there will be an announcement that pubs in England will reopen on that date.

Tim Martin has worked out that 80 per cent of his stock will still be drinkable by that date (possibly).

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

I’d imagine the issue being referred to is the vast majority not being allowed in pubs if only 20 people are allowed in at a time.

Ways round that, although I concede they probably aren't palatable to your standard pub drinker.