Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, bendan said:

Yes, we can be sure warm temperatures don't stop the virus all by themselves. Would it be worse in cooler temperatures? We'll have to wait and see.

It was chilly in Iran when it first kicked off, and it hasn't seemed to have taken hold in Africa. As you say, too early to tell, too many variables.

21 hours ago, Steven W said:

My own personal thoughts are that we're thundering along towards a job market abyss, and for a fair amount child care issue will be negated via unemployment / reduced hours owing to lack of demand for products. However, obviously that creates another, bigger, problem...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-52955200

The employment situation is going to get really grim before much longer, especially with furlough winding down soon.

There should be very few people in the country feeling confident about their income over the coming years. Demand for goods is going to plummet

35 minutes ago, bendan said:

Yes, we can be sure warm temperatures don't stop the virus all by themselves. Would it be worse in cooler temperatures? We'll have to wait and see.

I thought humidity was a more important factor with dry conditions being better when it comes to reducing spread of the virus - however a quick Google shows there are about as many opinions as there are scientists. 

I used to be a researcher working on respiratory virus transmission. I moved on in 2014, and although I keep my eye on what's happening and know quite a few of the people involved at the moment, my finger is off the pulse a bit so I might well have missed things.

Certainly back then the seasonal/cyclic nature of virus outbreaks was something that was poorly understood, but generally accepted that it involved multiple factors. Respiratory viruses do tend to crop up in the winter, and being indoors more almost certainly does play a part, however if it was that alone then you'd expect to see more significant outbreaks in colder countries (or colder regions of countries compared to warmer regions), but you don't really get that. You'd also expect that all respiratory viruses to have infection peaks at similar times matching weather patterns/indoor times over the course of a winter, but again you don't really get that: some peak in November, some in March, the other coronaviruses that have been circulating for years (229E, OC43, NL63) tend to match the flu season and usually peak in December/January. If we abandoned social distancing etc then I wouldn't be surprised if Covid-19 eventually fell into a similar patter to the other coronaviruses.

Respiratory viruses do tend to settle in to a yearly cyclic pattern though, but when a new one comes along it sometimes takes a couple of waves for that to happen. When swine flu hit, the first wave was May/June 2009, and it came back again in early autumn of the same year. It was only really the third wave that it started to fall into the usual cycle for influenza.

I see New Zealand are ready to go "back to normal" now they have had no new cases for 17 days and, on top of that, no one in hospital with it.

Not "new normal" but normal.

If the SG were to come out and say when we achieve the same we would also return to normal (instead of constantly pushing the "new normal" bollocks) i'm certain people would be less inclined to take the piss and also stop moaning.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I see New Zealand are ready to go "back to normal" now they have had no new cases for 17 days and, on top of that, no one in hospital with it.

If the SG were to come out and say when we achieve the same we would also return to normal (instead of constantly pushing the "new normal" bollocks) i'm certain people would be less inclined to take the piss and also stop moaning.

I think the “new normal” rhetoric is more about managing expectations than the reality. Hand washing, distancing, no hospitality, events, crowds etc. are, unfortunately, going to be with us for a while yet looking at the approach of the SG. Eventually things will fall back to the way they were before, but I doubt there will be some sort of fanfare announcement.

8 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I think the “new normal” rhetoric is more about managing expectations than the reality. Hand washing, distancing, no hospitality, events, crowds etc. are, unfortunately, going to be with us for a while yet looking at the approach of the SG.

NS has worded "The New Normal" as if we are to be expected to think that it'll be in place forever more (in the UK). Ultimately hence the "new normal" expression. 

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think this is quite a staggering  achievement. 

They've been in strict lockdown since March, with strong, decisive leadership.

It's also staggering that their  total number of deaths from Covid is only 22.

Anyone care to prove me wrong with the death number? I've been checking and it seems to be legit. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

Just got a text from scot gov - NS to explain what's happening to the shielding people in her 12.30 statement today

Extended until the end of July is the verdict, but from the 18th of June outdoor exercise is permitted. Still no contact with anyone outside the household though.

Things not looking great in a few of the states that opened up early. 

Shows the wisdom of getting cases as low as possible and to enforce non-medical interventions when fully we are fully opening. 

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

Extended until the end of July is the verdict, but from the 18th of June outdoor exercise is permitted. Still no contact with anyone outside the household though.

That is ridiculous tbh

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

Need to see what she says but that seems a bit over the top when there has been 1 new case in Inverclyde this week. I've not let anyone in my dads for 12 weeks except Nurses but was planning on geting the carers back in for the morning routine next week. Will maybe postpone it till the 18th but I'm starting to go stir crazy.

Just now, dirty dingus said:

Need to see what she says but that seems a bit over the top when there has been 1 new case in Inverclyde this week. I've not let anyone in my dads for 12 weeks except Nurses but was planning on geting the carers back in for the morning routine next week. Will maybe postpone it till the 18th but I'm starting to go stir crazy.

There was chat or things being a bit more personalised for each individual case, but I guess we'll see.