Coronavirus (COVID-19)

No, schools will be open five days a week but to adhere to social distancing there isn’t the space or the staff to do anythjng other than group kids and have them in part time.
There are 60 in my sons primary year group, two classes 30. They simply can’t accommodate them all.
It will vary across authorities. Ours have issued a 3 option voting paper. All basically involve half in school half at home just in 3 different guises.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Regarding test and protect.... I keep reading that if you have symptoms anyone can get a test.

I also keep reading that if you are contacted by a tracer you will be told to isolate for 14 days.

Surely it should be isolate until you can be tested?

Imagine someone is going on holiday in 8 days and has been following the rules. Then gets named by someone with a questionable grasp on what 2 metres/15 minutes is. You will never know who named you as a contact and whether it's right or not..... Can you get tested and bin the 14 days or what?

Think you can do what you want, there's no law enforcing it as yet.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, RH33 said:
No, schools will be open five days a week but to adhere to social distancing there isn’t the space or the staff to do anythjng other than group kids and have them in part time.
There are 60 in my sons primary year group, two classes 30. They simply can’t accommodate them all.

It will vary across authorities. Ours have issued a 3 option voting paper. All basically involve half in school half at home just in 3 different guises.

If the parents are being polled, the option of returning full time should be on there.

1 hour ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

It's a very easy thing for SG to hide behind but it is absolutely true that Scotland has its hands tied behind it's back by Westminster.

The Tories delayed a response because they instinctly think economy before society, because austerity has gutted public service expertise and because the remaining capacity for crisis planning had eyes only on Brexit.

So any assessment of Scotland's response must factor that in. It's convenient for the SNP and an excuse that gets unionist eyes rolling but is absolutely true. We need independence to be able to make our own decisions. This half way house no longer works, especially in crisis.

And that is absolutely true

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Spot on. "Why didn't Scotland lock down earlier?" Scotland doesn't control its own money supply.

Decanting to care homes was a national decision at a time when there was genuine fear that bodies would be piling up in the streets. It was a terrible decision but let's see where that recommendation came from. I doubt any politician - not even a useless c**t like Johnson went into that without advice. 

Look at the stick Sturgeon is getting from the staunchers just for being a bit more cautious than England. If she'd had the means to close down earlier I think she would have and she'd still have got slaughtered for it. 

The sooner this country can make it's own decisions and not have to work with arseholes, the better. 

And that is also absolutely true.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, HTG said:
Spot on. "Why didn't Scotland lock down earlier?" Scotland doesn't control its own money supply.
Decanting to care homes was a national decision at a time when there was genuine fear that bodies would be piling up in the streets. It was a terrible decision but let's see where that recommendation came from. I doubt any politician - not even a useless c**t like Johnson went into that without advice. 
Look at the stick Sturgeon is getting from the staunchers just for being a bit more cautious than England. If she'd had the means to close down earlier I think she would have and she'd still have got slaughtered for it. 
The sooner this country can make it's own decisions and not have to work with arseholes, the better. 

Is she seriously getting stick for her approach?! I don't have FB so don't see a lot of things in regards to that. She's easily been the one talking the most sense throughout this whole saga (and I'm not a Nationalist). Though even if she had the power to shut down the country quicker I'm beginning to doubt it's effectiveness anyway. Folk are doing whatever the f**k they like now anyway. Whether we were Independent or not I expect that would have been the same either way. You can't control Stupid.

How no? Are you really content to be in a one-sided union?

Out of interest, where do you think those who are capable of, and currently are, working from home and have children stand? Could employers force parents to take unpaid leave for the 2 or 3 days each week that children are expected to learn at home? Will parents who can work from home be given the opportunity to continue working from home beyond Phase 3, when potentially employees who do not have children are forced back to the office?
My work has already confirmed there will be home working for anyone who needs it once schools return in August. Still a bloody difficult juggling job in many positions within our sphere of work.

Regarding test and protect.... I keep reading that if you have symptoms anyone can get a test.

I also keep reading that if you are contacted by a tracer you will be told to isolate for 14 days.

Imagine someone is going on holiday in 8 days and has been following the rules. Then gets named by someone with a questionable grasp on what 2 metres/15 minutes is. You will never know who named you as a contact and whether it's right or not..... Can you get tested and bin the 14 days or what?
HanCOCK was totally squirming when Marr quizzed him on traced numbers in comparison to govt confirmed new cases. Refused to answer and started rambling about needing to verify the numbers before public release but "assured" Marr it was in the thousands ! It should be 16k x contacts meaning probably it should be well into 6 figs by now never mind 4. It has all the hallmarks of yet another shit show.

3 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

This is what I wrote -

For example - SNP say no to Trident in Scottish waters but unionists support it being in Scotland.

In your opinion what would be a 'reasonable middle ground' ?

You support Morton but if there is a nuclear accident at Faslane then it's Greenock no more.

And you say my post is waffle?

Yes it is, completely irrelevant waffle that should be punted to the politics forum because it's completely irrelevant here.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Very easy for someone posting anonymously on a football forum to state but a very different matter for a politician to be seen to make a decision where, by your own admission, that decision will cause some people to lose their life that was preventable. I fully understand how difficult a decision that must be for any human being to make and it's not in NS nature going by everything we have seen so far.

They've spent their entire careers striving to reach a position where they have to take the difficult decisions and are both entrusted and paid by their citizens to do so. It's not like a bunch of folk were dragged off the street and told to solve the problem.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The whole test and protect thing is an absolute shitshow. Fundamentally flawed and according to reports - any time you come into contact with someone with covid you’ve to self isolate for 14 days. This is to last for 2 years! 

They've spent their entire careers striving to reach a position where they have to take the difficult decisions and are both entrusted and paid by their citizens to do so. It's not like a bunch of folk were dragged off the street and told to solve the problem.
I doubt exposing their public to potential death was one of those decisions they signed up for. There is no such this as collateral damage outwith war, it's a nonsense position and one nobody should be forced into. As I repeat easy for keyboard warriors to clamour for.

The whole test and protect thing is an absolute shitshow. Fundamentally flawed and according to reports - any time you come into contact with someone with covid you’ve to self isolate for 14 days. This is to last for 2 years! 
If you want any sort of return to "normal " (and by Christ you have been squealing for it since week 1) it's the main weapon but I agree so far it looks like a botch if tracing numbers are being point blank refused.

If the parents are being polled, the option of returning full time should be on there.

Explain how you get social distancing in practical subjects with a full class?  

Even if you go down to 1m it still isn't possible.

You also forgot one group whose opinions matter - teachers themselves.

What they want and what they get are two different things and ultimately the courses have reopened in any case.
If it's any consolation I was hitting the ball great yesterday although putting was a bit off. No excuses though as the Greens were excellent and really quick (as always).
Just about to breach the lockdown rules and head over for another 18, however I won't be alone as the road is likely to be full of cyclists (who are also flagrantly breaking the rules) same as yesterday.

You were trying to justify breaking the rules by saying the advice wasn't clear - but the advice is clear.

And yes there are other people also breaking the rules. But so what?

Don't hide behind excuses. Take responsibility for the decision you're making.

And just for the record i couldn't give a f**k if people break the rules or not. It's outwith my control. I know the govt will have built in percentages of disobedience to their models. People will do what people will do, and i have a lot of faith that the vast majority are being very sensible (whether they're breaking the rules or not). If the government want to change things then they can. I have the utmost sympathy for people in lockdown and have never been one to play the shame game.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Explain how you get social distancing in practical subjects with a full class?

Even if you go down to 1m it still isn't possible.

Why are we pretending social distancing is an evermore thing?

WTD there have been just 163 infections recorded, and 53 deaths. It's over 2 months till schools return. On the current trend that number, if it's any at all, will be miniscule.

If it was any other infection, would you advocate such radical changes for that level of disease?

The idea that we need to keep this going and going needs put in the bin ASAP.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think it was @virginton earlier that mentioned public support for the lockdown was based on it being short term and the apparant need to protect the NHS. It was never sold as a long term, society changing measure.

I agree with him - if the public knew then what they know now it would have been a different outlook.

Anyone who claims they would have been happy in March knowing that they wouldn't be able to step foot inside their parents' house for at least 3 months, have to homeschool their children potentially until the end of the year, and risked ending up unemployed to protect, ultimately, a relatively small number of people is, frankly, a liar

Excellent post and hits the nail on the head.

I was one of the ones who were 100% supportive of the lockdown and didn't think we did it quick enough or even tight enough initially (I still stick by that), however as time has gone on and we've seen the "science" change and the contradictions and backtracking every few weeks it's become clear that our Government and so called "experts" really don't have a clue as to what it is they're trying to achieve.

Personally I've been keeping a close eye on other European countries from their daily death tolls, infection rates and serious cases to their easing of lockdown strategies and can only assume that our Government will / should be following them, as such it can only mean that our life returns to some sort of normality over the coming weeks as opposed to the months / years / never which some on here seem to be wanting (strangely).

I think we also need to accept that people WILL continue to die, however that's life I'm afraid we're ALL going to die at some point and as you've said, the percentage of people that this is actually seriously affecting just doesn't justify the extreme measures and associated consequences that are continuing to be taken by our Government.

What can I say, I'm 99.9% confident that I'll be on my Spanish holiday which is booked for September.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You were trying to justify breaking the rules by saying the advice wasn't clear - but the advice is clear.

And yes there are other people also breaking the rules. But so what?

Don't hide behind excuses. Take responsibility for the decision you're making.

And just for the record i couldn't give a f**k if people break the rules or not. It's outwith my control. I know the govt will have built in percentages of disobedience to their models. People will do what people will do, and i have a lot of faith that the vast majority are being very sensible (whether they're breaking the rules or not). If the government want to change things then they can. I have the utmost sympathy for people in lockdown and have never been one to play the shame game.

I don't need to justify myself to anyone other than myself.

I'm not making excuses, I'm merely pointing out the idiocy of the rules and I take 100% responsibility for EVERY decision I make as I'm the one making it.

The test isn’t accurate enough to mean testing negative lets you off the hook, believe it or not.

While we’re discussing the Scottish Government, I generally support Sturgeon’s strategy of no lockdown loosening until Test & Protect was ready (it took far too long but that’s done now). However it really should have laws/enforcement attached to it. People will undoubtedly ignore it.