Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

You’ve  said it twice, and the repetition is annoying me.   It’s “you’re fucked”, not “your fucked”. 

There, their, they're...

Good to hear. Although I was quoting what Glasgow City Council had leaked out.
No matter what, the children won't be in 5 days a week. Wonder how long this will last, or is this part of 'The New Normal' and will be ongoing for years to come.
As I said before, if you work and have young kids, and no one on hand to help out with childminding your fucked.
Planned till December but they are looking at October holidays if all goes well.

29 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

It's a very easy thing for SG to hide behind but it is absolutely true that Scotland has its hands tied behind it's back by Westminster.

The Tories delayed a response because they instinctly think economy before society, because austerity has gutted public service expertise and because the remaining capacity for crisis planning had eyes only on Brexit.

So any assessment of Scotland's response must factor that in. It's convenient for the SNP and an excuse that gets unionist eyes rolling but is absolutely true. We need independence to be able to make our own decisions. This half way house no longer works, especially in crisis.

Spot on. "Why didn't Scotland lock down earlier?" Scotland doesn't control its own money supply.

Decanting to care homes was a national decision at a time when there was genuine fear that bodies would be piling up in the streets. It was a terrible decision but let's see where that recommendation came from. I doubt any politician - not even a useless c**t like Johnson went into that without advice. 

Look at the stick Sturgeon is getting from the staunchers just for being a bit more cautious than England. If she'd had the means to close down earlier I think she would have and she'd still have got slaughtered for it. 

The sooner this country can make it's own decisions and not have to work with arseholes, the better. 

Spot on. "Why didn't Scotland lock down earlier?" Scotland doesn't control its own money supply.
Decanting to care homes was a national decision at a time when there was genuine fear that bodies would be piling up in the streets. It was a terrible decision but let's see where that recommendation came from. I doubt any politician - not even a useless c**t like Johnson went into that without advice. 
Look at the stick Sturgeon is getting from the staunchers just for being a bit more cautious than England. If she'd had the means to close down earlier I think she would have and she'd still have got slaughtered for it. 
The sooner this country can make it's own decisions and not have to work with arseholes, the better. 
Is she seriously getting stick for her approach?! I don't have FB so don't see a lot of things in regards to that. She's easily been the one talking the most sense throughout this whole saga (and I'm not a Nationalist). Though even if she had the power to shut down the country quicker I'm beginning to doubt it's effectiveness anyway. Folk are doing whatever the f**k they like now anyway. Whether we were Independent or not I expect that would have been the same either way. You can't control Stupid.

Is she seriously getting stick for her approach?! I don't have FB so don't see a lot of things in regards to that. She's easily been the one talking the most sense throughout this whole saga (and I'm not a Nationalist). Though even if she had the power to shut down the country quicker I'm beginning to doubt it's effectiveness anyway. Folk are doing whatever the f**k they like now anyway. Whether we were Independent or not I expect that would have been the same either way. You can't control Stupid.

I agree you can’t control stupid. That said many people are still “following the rules”.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
16 minutes ago, HTG said:

There’s cùnts on here criticising her.

No one deserves a free pass, but it’s a nonsense to judge a devolved administration with limited powers the same way as you would judge the government of an independent country.

Apologies. I pride myself on my spelling too.
I'll try again!
If you work and have young kids, and don't have anyone on hand to help with childminding you're fucked.

Out of interest, where do you think those who are capable of, and currently are, working from home and have children stand? Could employers force parents to take unpaid leave for the 2 or 3 days each week that children are expected to learn at home? Will parents who can work from home be given the opportunity to continue working from home beyond Phase 3, when potentially employees who do not have children are forced back to the office?

On 05/06/2020 at 14:27, pandarilla said:

The government advice is clear and sensible.

They don't want you playing golf. This is still a serious health situation and the more people that come into contact with other people, the more dangerous it is for everyone.

Pozbaird you seriously need to have a lie down. Using shared bathrooms is one of the most high risk situations for spreading a virus. They're clearly trying to discourage anyone from using them - but if you CAN play golf, or bowls or fishing, without sharing bathroom surfaces - then crack on.

What they want and what they get are two different things and ultimately the courses have reopened in any case.

If it's any consolation I was hitting the ball great yesterday although putting was a bit off. No excuses though as the Greens were excellent and really quick (as always).

Just about to breach the lockdown rules and head over for another 18, however I won't be alone as the road is likely to be full of cyclists (who are also flagrantly breaking the rules) same as yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Out of interest, where do you think those who are capable of, and currently are, working from home and have children stand? Could employers force parents to take unpaid leave for the 2 or 3 days each week that children are expected to learn at home? Will parents who can work from home be given the opportunity to continue working from home beyond Phase 3, when potentially employees who do not have children are forced back to the office?

Having thought about this for a bit,

My own personal thoughts are that we're thundering along towards a job market abyss, and for a fair amount child care issue will be negated via unemployment / reduced hours owing to lack of demand for products. However, obviously that creates another, bigger, problem.....

When it comes to the crunch employers will undoubtedly favour those without childcare worries.

1 hour ago, HTG said:

*SIGH*

Who and what to believe eh?

Had the radio on at work yesterday morning and this debate was raging. From what I listened to, this ‘hands tied by Westminster’ defence was alleged to be a bit of a cop-out and ultimately a lot of SNP BS. 

Now before any lines are blurred, I’m no fan of the Tories and voted SNP. However,  whoever was arguing for the Tory side put forward a pretty convincing case, which coupled with the shut-down, silenced failure to respond by whomever was defending the SNP, sadly came across pretty damning.

Basically, the key points Tory-boy put across were that Nicola Sturgeon COULD HAVE taken the NI approach and ordered the lockdown in Scotland any time she liked, and the money supply thing was a lot of made-up bollux that could never have happened as:

A - It would have further damaged the UK economy as a whole. 
B - It would have breached X,Y & Z under whatever acts in current UK and European Law.

Edited by 8MileBU

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Seeing the scenes from the London protest yesterday, and 10000 expected at the Edinburgh one today, really makes a mockery of “no crowds at football”, certainly at the lower league levels 

Yes 100%.

Maybe if I travelled  halfway across the country to join a "protest" I'd get more sympathy from some on here than I would for travelling 8 miles to play socially distanced golf at my local club in a completely safe environment.

Rather Ironic but not surprising.

Incidentally, does anyone actually know WHY they're "protesting" ???

1 hour ago, HTG said:

The SG gave the green light for a fucking Old Firm match to go ahead on March 15 only for the SPFL to say 'nah you're alright, this has gone too far and we're postponing it instead'. The SG refused to close schools until March 19 despite having all the powers to do so weeks beforehand, on the specious basis that if they did then poor nurses and key workers wouldn't be able to look after their sprogs and do their jobs at the same time: somehow they've managed just fine over the past ten weeks though, with the hub spaces for children of key workers being massively under-filled throughout. The SG has still refused to enforce the wearing of face masks despite the obvious benefits of doing so, which is why people in SE Asia adopted the practice before the outbreak even began while smart countries in Europe made them mandatory among their citizens within days of a national outbreak beginning. There's no actual evidence then that the SG was straining at the reins to try and respond to the crisis in March: they were quite clearly drinking the same Kool-Aid as Johnson.

It is both incorrect and frankly pathetic for people to try and bat off the bulk of criticism of how the SG has handled the outbreak on the grounds that England made us do it.

Regarding test and protect.... I keep reading that if you have symptoms anyone can get a test.

I also keep reading that if you are contacted by a tracer you will be told to isolate for 14 days.

Surely it should be isolate until you can be tested?

Imagine someone is going on holiday in 8 days and has been following the rules. Then gets named by someone with a questionable grasp on what 2 metres/15 minutes is. You will never know who named you as a contact and whether it's right or not..... Can you get tested and bin the 14 days or what?

21 minutes ago, Steven W said:

My own personal thoughts are that we're thundering along towards a job market abyss, and for a fair amount child care issue will be negated via unemployment / reduced hours owing to lack of demand for products.

I think it was @virginton earlier that mentioned public support for the lockdown was based on it being short term and the apparant need to protect the NHS. It was never sold as a long term, society changing measure.

I agree with him - if the public knew then what they know now it would have been a different outlook.

Anyone who claims they would have been happy in March knowing that they wouldn't be able to step foot inside their parents' house for at least 3 months, have to homeschool their children potentially until the end of the year, and risked ending up unemployed to protect, ultimately, a relatively small number of people is, frankly, a liar. 

Edited by Todd_is_God