Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Come on. There’ll be plenty of hypocrites as you say but it’s also a perfectly valid viewpoint to think that large crowd gatherings just now are a monumentally bad idea, regardless of how much “social distancing” the organisers claim to be implementing. Further to risking passing on the virus it’s also taking up police and paramedic time at a time when they could do without it.

Er... that's precisely my point. A lot of the folk clutching their pearls about how monumentally bad an idea protesting is were strangely silent at how monumentally bad an idea going to the beach was.

Today is the first day since 31st March where 7 day average deaths were in single figures (9)
Further good news but it's absorption a secondary factor now. It's all about the new cases, and whatever the f**k the r is doing.

We have to give the test and protect system a chance to get any minor surge under control. That's going to be a big factor. Infections will rise (hopefully localised), and we'll see how the system works.

I don't want to see folk putting pressure on to go back into lockdown at the first sign of a rise. Our authorities need to find a way to manage this virus.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Er... that's precisely my point. A lot of the folk clutching their pearls about how monumentally bad an idea protesting is were strangely silent at how monumentally bad an idea going to the beach was.

Yes, and there’s also a lot of folk who think both are a bad idea. There was plenty of uproar last weekend about all the morons gathering in public.

Your posts on the other thread give the impression that you’re absolutely fine with people gathering for these protests.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Further good news but it's absorption a secondary factor now. It's all about the new cases, and whatever the f**k the r is doing.

True. Excluding those 40 historic cases, for infections that figure is now 26, a 53% decrease on last Saturday

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

44 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

I think the SG were caught in the headlights at the start of this. It’s great in hindsight to suggest what they should have done, but they would have been very conscious that had they pursued a different track from WM and it had turned to shit, then the strong position of the SNP in Scotland that has been built up over many years could have been trashed

Had they gone a different way and things turned out better than they have, then that wouldn’t necessarily have made their position that much stronger. The Wee Nippy brigade would still be the same proportion of the electorate

So as long as they didn’t make a bigger c**t of it than WM then nothing is lost

Other than 4000 lives and counting as well as a decade's worth of lost prosperity paying for this shite.

41 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Come on. There’ll be plenty of hypocrites as you say but it’s also a perfectly valid viewpoint to think that large crowd gatherings just now are a monumentally bad idea, regardless of how much “social distancing” the organisers claim to be implementing. Further to risking passing on the virus it’s also taking up police and paramedic time at a time when they could do without it.

What else do the police and paramedics have to do right now? There's plenty of capacity in the health service and the plods are going around charging people for going hillwalking instead of dealing with the leftover real crimes.

Edited by vikingTON

With a bit of recent media chat re Sweden’s approach to this I wondered how the deaths per capita and in particular excess mortality between Scotland and Sweden compares. Couldn’t find a specific comparison but suspect some on here will know

Edit to add it looks like deaths per capita are broadly similar according travelling tabby site. Is this a case of Sweden’s death rate beginning to catch ours or have the been broadly similar throughout?

Other than 4000 lives and counting as well as a decade's worth of lost prosperity paying for this shite.

I’m not saying I agree with the way it’s been handled, I’m just saying that’s the way I reckon their thinking’s been during this

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

With a bit of recent media chat re Sweden’s approach to this I wondered how the deaths per capita and in particular excess mortality between Scotland and Sweden compares. Couldn’t find a specific comparison but suspect some on here will know

Edit to add it looks like deaths per capita are broadly similar according travelling tabby site. Is this a case of Sweden’s death rate beginning to catch ours or have the been broadly similar throughout?

It's been broadly tracking, though Sweden has just overtaken us.

3 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

For example - SNP say no to Trident in Scottish waters but unionists support it being in Scotland.

In your opinion what would be a 'reasonable middle ground' ?

Put it in the Solway Firth. Simples.

The R number rising across the UK simply isn't reflected in the daily cases being recorded. So either it's wrong, regional data is being utilised further than it should be or the initial R estimates were an underestimate. The estimate is based on data from two weeks ago but the number of cases diagnosed continues on a downward trend. 
I think we all know that confirmed cases are an understatement, but if more people are catching it these should also be rising. Alternatively, maybe people are indeed being infected and are not bothering to get tested or are experiencing mild/symptomatic cases. 
The R number will be whatever the UK govt want / need it to be to fit their narrative. It's a perfect vehicle for them.

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, Michael W said:
The R number rising across the UK simply isn't reflected in the daily cases being recorded. So either it's wrong, regional data is being utilised further than it should be or the initial R estimates were an underestimate. The estimate is based on data from two weeks ago but the number of cases diagnosed continues on a downward trend. 
I think we all know that confirmed cases are an understatement, but if more people are catching it these should also be rising. Alternatively, maybe people are indeed being infected and are not bothering to get tested or are experiencing mild/symptomatic cases. 

The R number will be whatever the UK govt want / need it to be to fit their narrative. It's a perfect vehicle for them.

Yesterday's supposed R number was a bit of an embarrassment for them. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Why is your all-encompassing comparison point 'Westminster' or 'England'? Why shouldn't Scotland be compared to New Zealand, or Slovakia, or Norway or just about every other small and developed country that hasn't made a rip-roaring c**t of it? Why does political affiliation to the cause of independence - a goal that I support - lead you to this sort of braying, bovine deference to the government of the day?

This is the sort of small-timer thinking that Scotland needs to thoroughly purge itself of if it wants to be both treated and governed like a self-respecting sovereign nation.

As we're not independent, we can't borrow, control job retention schemes to support lockdown or control borders. 

This obviously makes any comparisons to independent countries meaningless. 

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

From the brief pictures I've seen of the beaches/protests, even though there were huge numbers on the beaches it did look like there was some social distancing between groups. There seemed like far less distancing at the protests.

Also, when the slogan is 'black lives matter', having mass gatherings which have a disproportionate number of black people during a pandemic that disproportionately kills black people just seems stupid.  

From the brief pictures I've seen of the beaches/protests, even though there were huge numbers on the beaches it did look like there was some social distancing between groups. There seemed like far less distancing at the protests.
Also, when the slogan is 'black lives matter', having mass gatherings which have a disproportionate number of black people during a pandemic that disproportionately kills black people just seems stupid.  
If they don't force change now then they'll be waiting until the next poor b*****d is killed.

20 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I think there's probably a grain of truth in that. At a time when more people than ever folk are stuck at home with the TV & internet for company it's a big chance for change. The polling suggesting Biden's flying into a lead (his faults & the fact rock solid democratic states are experiencing this and could act now to stop it without losing control notwithstanding) could mean a corner is being turned. One can only be an optimist about it.

Can't articulate myself for some reason I'm just going to post this tweet and muse over whether the Dems necessarily want to be in charge of what's coming in the next 4 years

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 19.28.26.png

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Whether they win or not is at this point more or less compeletely disconnected from how they run their campaign imo

Not really thinking about that more that Biden ending up as the Stolypin figure minus the facial hair game is going to be disastrous

24 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Can't articulate myself for some reason I'm just going to post this tweet and muse over whether the Dems necessarily want to be in charge of what's coming in the next 4 years

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 19.28.26.png

😎