Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do they not have any bushes at your golf course?

They do indeed. I hit most of my shots into them. 

Government tells us to regularly wash our hands. Government actively stops me washing my hands, in a situation where my travel time is thirty minutes, the round lasts three plus hours, plus travel home. Government says hygeine is vital - government action sees guys having to pish in the trees and lady members put in a quandry.

Anyone seeing the stupidity of the government here? No? Ach well, just me then.

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Can you answer the point I am raising?

I think the situation the Government are trying to avoid is folk travelling more than 5 miles to play golf. 

Also, if the clubhouse is fully open you'll have the Big Jock knows best sitting having a G&T etc therefore defeating the object of folk mixing indoors. 

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

government action sees guys having to pish in the trees and lady members shitting in bunkers.

FTFY. As Mixu said, buy a wee bottle of hand sanitiser.

49 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I hormuz make the distinction as I worry that punchlines based on incorrect assumptions about dress in Shia vs Sunni counties could be taken too Farsi if you'll Persian the pernickityness.

Puns are shi’ite

19 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

oh wait it was about having a pish? Why didn't you just say it was about having a pish and not about washing your hands?

I just thought it was really about getting wash hand basins installed in the bushes,

so that men can pee there , women can shit in the bunkers,

no need to go to the clubhouse,

and everyone's happy.

34 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Government tells us to regularly wash our hands. Government actively stops me washing my hands, in a situation where my travel time is thirty minutes, the round lasts three plus hours, plus travel home. Government says hygeine is vital - government action sees guys having to pish in the trees and lady members put in a quandry.

I hope you're walking and not driving to the course if it's taking that long, as that would surely be outwith the governments guideline of 5 miles.

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Empty can of Pringles in the golf bag - sorted. 

Handy for putting practice too, before the wife's curled a jobby into it. Think we've got this golfing malarkey sussed.

34 minutes ago, PWL said:

I think the situation the Government are trying to avoid is folk travelling more than 5 miles to play golf. 

Also, if the clubhouse is fully open you'll have the Big Jock knows best sitting having a G&T etc therefore defeating the object of folk mixing indoors. 

Most of us are currently travelling more than 5 miles as very few clubs have the majority of their membership within a 5 mile radius, especially in rural areas.

In my case its 8 miles, however that's also my nearest bank branch so I've certainly no guilt about travelling 8 miles to my golf club when I'm expected to do that for my banking.

People are probably reluctant or unable to empathise when you’re complaining about the government’s response in the context of playing golf.

I can tell by the last two responses that neither of you want to address the point I am raising about the idiots trying to tell us what to do.

Most of us are currently travelling more than 5 miles as very few clubs have the majority of their membership within a 5 mile radius, especially in rural areas. In my case its 8 miles, however that's also my nearest bank branch so I've certainly no guilt about travelling 8 miles to my golf club when I'm expected to do that for my banking.

The government advice is clear and sensible.

They don't want you playing golf. This is still a serious health situation and the more people that come into contact with other people, the more dangerous it is for everyone.

Pozbaird you seriously need to have a lie down. Using shared bathrooms is one of the most high risk situations for spreading a virus. They're clearly trying to discourage anyone from using them - but if you CAN play golf, or bowls or fishing, without sharing bathroom surfaces - then crack on.

Guest JTS98
8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In my case its 8 miles, however that's also my nearest bank branch so I've certainly no guilt about travelling 8 miles to my golf club when I'm expected to do that for my banking.

I think the obvious response to this is that it's important that you do your banking (not available online)? It's not really important that you play golf.

I don't think saying you can travel 8 miles to carry out an essential task means you should disregard the advice for a non-essential task.

But you will anyway, so what to do.

52 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I thought you said the toilets were closed?

Scary concept seeing as everyone's talking about working at home more:
https://www.ft.com/content/c817c75a-a643-11ea-81ac-4854aed294e5
If people can successfully work from home in the suburbs, how long before companies decide they can work from low-wage economies in another timezone?

I must admit to finding the clamour for increased working from home utterly mental. Folk should be clinging onto their offices etc for dear life. The idea that employers in the UK, a place where employers get plenty of free reign to act like scumbags and are only going to get more under the current govt, are suddenly going to rip up the form book and not try to f**k their employees is mental.

It's easy for me to say Iv never had a job that could be done remotely, but I really dont get it. This is not a time where you should be encouraging your employer to make wholesale changes because it will result in "synergies"

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I’ll make this short and simple. Point 3 - hand hygeine. It remains, and always has been, one of the absolute must-do things. Then, for golf clubs to open, one of the things they were required to do in order to open, was to close their toilets. Thereby taking away the abiity to wash your hands. It also denies you the most basic human need. In a global pandemic where washing your hands is one of the best things to do, indeed, all government videos stress it, those same governments enforce a rule that stops you being able to wash your hands.

You need to read between the lines on this. They're not telling you not to wash your hands, they're telling you that public toilets are an infection risk and trusting you to use that information to make the smart decision to stay away from anywhere where you will need to use one.

Basically, the real message is, if you'll need to go, don't go.

Advice in Malaysia right from the start has been to avoid public toilets. I haven't had a pish or a shite anywhere apart from my home since the middle of March.

https://theconversation.com/what-goes-into-the-toilet-doesnt-always-stay-there-and-other-coronavirus-risks-in-public-bathrooms-139637

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

I feel a bit selfish because my job's sufficiently complicated and sensitive that they're not going to be able to give it to someone in the Philippenes & so I'll be asking my union to push hard for more home working as it has been to my liking. There will be other sectors or areas of businesses within those where it will be a bigger risk.

Yeah, for some definitely it's a goer. But a lot of people really need to reflect on whether they genuinely believe their employer is going to just put that level of trust in them to work unsupervised for the same amount of money but letting them be at home all day. 

Bearing in mind that most employers (via the middle management, promoted beyond their ability wankers who will be making these calls) grudge every pound you get and see you as the enemy. It's not happening in the way a lot folk think.