Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Any idea when those 40 cases occurred? I know there's a death reporting lag over the weekend but the new cases reporting has seemed to be fairly solid over the weekend. Yesterday's UK figure was down quite a lot on where it had been (was 1570) compared with c2000. Wondered if there has been some sort of a lag in results there also. 

Edited by Michael W
Correction to number of cases yesterday

16 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Any idea when those 40 cases occurred? I know there's a death reporting lag over the weekend but the new cases reporting has seemed to be fairly solid over the weekend. Yesterday's UK figure was down quite a lot on where it had been (was 1570) compared with c2000. Wondered if there has been some sort of a lag in results there also. 

Usually when they add things like this on they are spread over previous weeks, if not months.

If they were just from the weekend they would just announce them as normal today.

With just 13 today they are clearly not from over the weekend IMO. Positive results across Europe, the UK and Scotland are coming down continuously not as a result of a reporting lag, but because the virus is going away.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

It depends how you look at it.

It's great news if you catch covid. It's shite news if you're trying to run an economy.

But this is what you wrote and what I replied to

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

If you look back through the conversation I was referring to whether an outbreak of covid is preferable to an outbreak of ebola.

Your situation is extremely unfortunate and I'm sorry about that, but what I said remains true.

But the post that I replied to didnae mention ebola and you're implying I'm taking it out of context.

Danke

What I think will be interesting to see is what public opinion in Scotland is like in 6 to 8 weeks time IF  the current trends we are seeing continue, and we have a disease at that point which remains in decline despite restrictions being eased (and boundaries pushed) is infecting hardly anyone each day, is hospitalising relatively low numbers and killing pretty much no one.

If the picture looks like that will people still support the restrictions imposed upon them?

If the answer under those conditions is yes then we can forget about ever moving on IMO.

Yeah I agree about the Tartan Halo thing but there's 2 things going on there in my opinion:
  1. We elect the parliament so we view it as 'ours' more than the UK one, even if as you say it really needs more of a critical eye. Unfortunately the press up here mostly blew their chance at this by being so hostile to the SNP for reasons I've explained elsewhere so we don't really get that, it's either confinued open hostility or unhelpful cheerleading (Daily Record & Sunday Posts are possible honourable exceptions).
  2. Like brexit is for conservatives, independence is the overriding issue for SNP. People will overlook all manner of bad things as long as they eventually deliver on the main goal.

It’s been said multiple times but in terms of accountability it’s great for the SNP to have a big reactionary government down south much like it’s great for the Conservatives and Westminster generally to get tethered to the United States. Both can at least point to their bigger neighbour and say “well we’re better than them!”

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What I think will be interesting to see is what public opinion in Scotland is like in 6 to 8 weeks time IF  the current trends we are seeing continue, and we have a disease at that point which remains in decline despite restrictions being eased (and boundaries pushed) is infecting hardly anyone each day, is hospitalising relatively low numbers and killing pretty much no one.

If the picture looks like that will people still support the restrictions imposed upon them?

If the answer under those conditions is yes then we can forget about ever moving on IMO.

That doesn't make any sense at all. 

Are you suggesting progress can only be made if people do not adhere to scientific advice? 

Johnson wants weekends off shocker. 

That said, I would prefer the frequency of the briefings were reduced. I don't really see the need for them every day now and they are generally a shambles anyway, with Johnson not present and some substitute chucked into deal with it and look incompetent. 

Edited by Michael W

11 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

That doesn't make any sense at all. 

Are you suggesting progress can only be made if people do not adhere to scientific advice? 

No. The post is quite clear.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No. The post is quite clear.

It absolutely isn't. You seem to be suggesting that the public should ignore advice if they feel that, in their opinion, the virus is less of a threat, in a hypothetical situation in the future

17 minutes ago, Michael W said:

That said, I would prefer the frequency of the briefings were reduced. I don't really see the need for them every day now and they are generally a shambles anyway, with Johnson not present and some substitute chucked into deal with it and look incompetent. 

Yeah I agree. Tying them to TV ratings is laughably trump though.

5 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

It absolutely isn't. You seem to be suggesting that the public should ignore advice if they feel that, in their opinion, the virus is less of a threat, in a hypothetical situation in the future

No i'm not.

Following advice and supporting it are very different.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah I agree. Tying them to TV ratings is laughably trump though.

They’re not trying hard enough. Prime time weekend slots need a viewer phone poll.

dial one to re-open libraries

two for gymnasiums

or three for the pubs

23 minutes ago, Michael W said:

You can basically judge if it's worth listening to based on who has been chucked in front of the media.

BJ - Something big or he's got a fire to put out

Hancock/Sunak - something interesting will probably be said

Some other c**t like Robert Jenrick - I'm switching over to the Chase