Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I've not heard today's briefing just read the headline comments so it is hard, if not impossible, to pick up on tone but I don't get the sense of threatening. Rather she is reiterating much of what she said last Thursday which apparently was ignored by a not insignificant number of people at the weekend (70% increase in transport). 

It was inevitable that there would be a level of non-compliance and that's before you factor in the excellent weather and I'm sure that was factored into their thinking on moving to Phase One. 

The fact that we have seen some restrictions relaxed and the fact that we are seeing the death and infection rates decline has perhaps made people think that we are over the worst. 

And maybe we are. Hopefully we are. 

Lets not forget though that the move to Phase One isn't much more than an acknowledgement that the NHS can cope with the virus levels. Not that the danger has passed. 

If people believe the latter then there is a danger that we go backwards and there is a need to emphasise precisely, and forcibly, what the current regulations are. I think that is what the FM is doing and she is correct to do so

Maybe it is too cautious. Too strict if you prefer but I'd rather that than simply allow things to continue as they did at the weekend and for the Scottish Government to cross their fingers and hope all will be okay. 

We need to exercise at least some degree of personal responsibility now and, IMO, the Scottish Government has a responsibility to  take a lead in that regard. 

An excellent post.

Maybe it is too cautious. Too strict if you prefer but I'd rather that than simply allow things to continue as they did at the weekend

We're talking about my life (and others) so 'too cautious' is the byword.

We need to exercise at least some degree of personal responsibility

At the end of the day we are each responsible for our own safety and no amount of girning at the SG will alter that.

Common sense is all it needs.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, it's astonishing that a Reuters article might be taken more seriously than a discredited Comical Ali type professor.

There might be questions to ask around whether Sikora's eternal optimism has clouded his judgement but comparing him to Baghdad Bob isn't particularly helpful.

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

There might be questions to ask around whether Sikora's eternal optimism has clouded his judgement but comparing him to Baghdad Bob isn't particularly helpful.

Quite, Bob didn't lie about his qualifications AFAIK.

Telling folk to drive home or shit in a bucket obviously isn’t gonna be followed by anyone but if the guidance said it was fine you’d get people using it as an excuse to sit in someone’s house using the “well if I’m allowed to go to the toilet what harm am a dae-ing” types.

Saying it’s not allowed means people will be more cautious when they do it.

46 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

BBC headline online says ‘some’ families keep their children off. When you actually go into the story it says it may be as many as half that haven’t sent the children in.
I consider 50% as slightly more than ‘some’!

It's very nearly "most"...

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

There is absolutely no need for her to speak like people are naughty children.

You're correct, she should be using scheme language when speaking to the bawbags that choose to take the pish. 

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you can pick up your dog's poo with a bag, you can do it for a BBQ guest.

I double dare anyone who is at a mates BBQ to defecate in their back garden and then pick it up with a poo bag and then carry on as normal. Would look very funny on TikTok.

1 hour ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Wits called sourcing, it's impossible to take Karol Sikora seriously because he is a known fraud and lunatic, I would double check anything he says. Reuter's on the other hand is a legitimate source, so it's ok to take them seriously.

HTH

Oh well, you'll ken best

No problem at all with Sturgeon reminding people not to be arse holes. It's obvious that most folk are being sensible and will continue to be. There's clearly some non-total bams in the middle ground that need a bit of reminding.

Still, though very encouraging numbers once again. This is getting beat by the end of June.

28 minutes ago, throbber said:

I double dare anyone who is at a mates BBQ to defecate in their back garden and then pick it up with a poo bag and then carry on as normal. Would look very funny on TikTok.

Aye, to a fucking dumplin'. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Negative on antibody testing for me. Slightly disappointed tbh. Wanted to have had my turn.

Read elsewhere that the antibody testing has had accuracy issues. 

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Negative on antibody testing for me. Slightly disappointed tbh. Wanted to have had my turn.

That's a bummer, all that suffering for nada..  I know loads of folk who believe they've already had it due to similar symptoms as you were displaying, I wonder if there was another flu bug going about when Covid 19 turned up.

On the radio this morning a woman had phoned in to say she had kept her teenage daughters in the house since mid-March. They’d been in the garden, but not allowed out to shop/exercise/anything for 2 and a half months. They live with an elderly relative so understand there’s a bit of fear with that, but I couldn’t believe it. I think she said the gran had also not ventured outside even to the garden in that time. I feel really sorry for anyone that has become that scared through this.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I was at a house party once where the host did pretty much that. For no apparent reason just curled one out in his back garden. 

It wasn’t as funny as you’re hoping.

I know its the Daily Mail reporting this but they are trying to say the R rating is higher in Scotland, Wales and N ireland 0.7-1 than England 0.5-.0.8 not a chance

13 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I know its the Daily Mail reporting this but they are trying to say the R rating is higher in Scotland, Wales and N ireland 0.7-1 than England 0.5-.0.8 not a chance

Have to bear in mind that if you believe the increasing reports (and to some extent maybe even historical probability) this virus is doing things irrespective of our measures and potentially mutating itself out of threatening levels. That could be happening at different rates in different places. It all seems at least plausible to me and may explain why the best efforts of Boris and his electorate to make a roaring c**t of this arent precipitating as we might expect. 

24 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

We've no idea what the R really is an an incredible number of mild cases will go undetected.

However, based on the positive test numbers in constant, considerable decline for ages now I struggle to see how they determine that R can be anywhere near 1.

Edited by Todd_is_God