Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The Covid-19 pandemic has served to hammer home with thousands of corpses just how derelict social care has been for years across the UK, Scotland included. Every winter for about 15 years there have been dire warnings about 'bed blocking' but no c**t in Government was listening - well they are now.
But ask yourselves, how would you have felt if your relative with Covid-19 couldn't have accessed a hospital bed because they were chock full of 98 year-olds ? That's the flip side of the argument and the only certainty was that this has been a disaster long in the making, such has been the social care clusterfuck.

There was a fairly political neutral (I think) NHS person on QT last night saying they didn't know as yet whether it was throwing untested bed blockers into care homes that caused the problem, or continuing to allow visitors and no PPE or proper procedures for too long that was more of the cause.

46 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The Covid-19 pandemic has served to hammer home with thousands of corpses just how derelict social care has been for years across the UK, Scotland included. Every winter for about 15 years there have been dire warnings about 'bed blocking' but no c**t in Government was listening - well they are now.
But ask yourselves, how would you have felt if your relative with Covid-19 couldn't have accessed a hospital bed because they were chock full of 98 year-olds ? That's the flip side of the argument and the only certainty was that this has been a disaster long in the making, such has been the social care clusterfuck.

I agree but there is definitely a mid point between bed blocking and what happened.

The Guardian had a stat earlier about something like 38% of homes in England had an outbreak but 58% in Scotland. Outcomes seem to massively vary between care home providers and as you say allowing a massively fragmented private system seems to have prevented any coherent response.

I agree but there is definitely a mid point between bed blocking and what happened.
The Guardian had a stat earlier about something like 38% of homes in England had an outbreak but 58% in Scotland. Outcomes seem to massively vary between care home providers and as you say allowing a massively fragmented private system seems to have prevented any coherent response.

The parent company (HC1?) of the Portree care home also runs one 400 yards from my home, and it has also seen a grim total of fatalities; I believe this company has the worst ratio of care home fatalities in the UK. The latest issue of Private Eye lays bare the opaque ownership of the group and does nothing to counter the word locally here that bare minimum outlay helps fund ROI for the owners and investors. We need to get this sector under public oversight pronto.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

But ask yourselves, how would you have felt if your relative with Covid-19 couldn't have accessed a hospital bed because they were chock full of Charlie Windsor and his wife and entourage jumping the queue.

Similar with my dad. Earlier in lockdown he was talking up Johnston' s briefings because even Tony Blair had backed him (missed this myself in the Blair interview, but just let it lie for harmony)
But now he's absolutely fucking furious that Cummings did what he did, as he's basically been shutting himself indoors alone (as he should) for 10 weeks, but when I mentioned I wanted to listen to NS's briefing yesterday he got the full nippy sweetie chat out. He doesn't even read a paper and the BBC weather app on his phone is beyond him, so I can only imagine he's come up with this line nof banter independent of (other) right wing nutcases. 

My Mum is slightly better - she is is no Nipppy fan but reckons that NS is a thousand times better than Boris after this week.

She'll still vote No in any referendum though.

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Zero mention of Cummings today on the Downing Street update show. Is that it?

Well, yes. Anyone who seriously thought that this would amount to anything probably had a £100 on the Mumbleclown to be PM a few months ago as well.

If the UK government was heading into an election then they'd have likely ditched him. As they have a healthy majority and aren't going to the polls until 2024 they can bet that almost nobody will still give a toss about this incident when the public delivers that verdict. And they'd be right to do so.

20 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Loads of groups of youths bevying in the park today, social distancing was non existent.

Did you grass them in like your fellow curtain twitching old timer philpy?

I think by Aug most businesses will be open again. The only line of work I think furlough beyond Aug will be needed for is the events industry (my work). The other ones that people were concerned about (pubs/restaurants/hairdressers) will be open again by then 
Some could not even wait that long - Debenhams laid off around 2000 staff today in their restaurants, travel money and personal shopping departments. 25 jobs gone in Dundee - thankfully my wife hasn't worked in the restaurant in a long time - her job is one of the safer ones in Click & Collect.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well, yes. Anyone who seriously thought that this would amount to anything probably had a £100 on the Mumbleclown to be PM a few months ago as well.

If the UK government was heading into an election then they'd have likely ditched him. As they have a healthy majority and aren't going to the polls until 2024 they can bet that almost nobody will still give a toss about this incident when the public delivers that verdict. And they'd be right to do so.

It was certainly more informative than usual, partly due to the likes of Faisal Islam asking the questions rather than the usual BBC and ITV suspects. Seemed a bit strange going from saturation to zero Cummings in 24 hours though. Seems Dominic leaking that he'll go when he delivers a hard brexit has calmed down the Tory rebellion.

Good they are starting to look to end or reduce the joke that is the furlough scheme. I know quite a number of people ripping the piss out of it and boasting so it's time it ended tbh.  know people who are managing to take home more than their usual pay for doing nothing.

Also work with someone who moaned about not getting furlough so he then told his boss he has no work to do so got himself furloughed leaving me with all the work while he sits at home and i pick up the slack on his project.

Edited by red23

10 minutes ago, red23 said:

Good they are starting to look to end or reduce the joke that is the furlough scheme. I know quite a number of people ripping the piss out of it and boasting so it's time it ended tbh.  know people who are managing to take home more than their usual pay for doing nothing.

Also work with someone who moaned about not getting furlough so he then told his boss he has no work to do so got himself furloughed leaving me with all the work while he sits at home and i pick up the slack on his project.

Yes, that's right. You've heard anecdotally that some people are ripping the pish out of it, and some guy in your work's annoyed you, so everyone else who's relying on it currently can piss off and starve.

I don't doubt that what you say is true, and that some are taking the piss, but I am not supporting other folk getting fired off it because some folk are twats. That's the same sort of argument Tories usually use to try and deny folk other forms of support. Folk should be taken off it when it's time, when it's safe to go back to their respective work arenas and not one minute before.

I'm fortunate (because I'd be jiggered without a weekday routine apart from anything else) not to need to rely on it but I am not going to support taking folk who need it off of it in some fit of spite.

Some employers might not be able to manage this change in contributions etc but that's a separate question from "I want to bin it because I think some folk are abusing it".

A truly awful post.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, that's right. You've heard anecdotally that some people are ripping the pish out of it, and some guy in your work's annoyed you, so everyone else who's relying on it currently can piss off and starve.

I don't doubt that what you say is true, and that some are taking the piss, but I am not supporting other folk getting fired off it because some folk are twats. That's the same sort of argument Tories usually use to try and deny folk other forms of support. Folk should be taken off it when it's time, when it's safe to go back to their respective work arenas and not one minute before.

I'm fortunate (because I'd be jiggered without a weekday routine apart from anything else) not to need to rely on it but I am not going to support taking folk who need it off of it in some fit of spite.

Some employers might not be able to manage this change in contributions etc but that's a separate question from "I want to bin it because I think some folk are abusing it".

I'm not old enough to know if it gained traction during Thatcher but this country fucking hates the idea of anyone possibly freeloading off any public good. Weird, spiteful little country of curtain twitchers.

22 minutes ago, red23 said:

image.jpg