Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

These entitled p***ks actually believe being rich means you are intelligent.

Two words, Donald Trump.

I'm sure the irony of a rich man saying something so unrepentantly moronic is very much lost on him.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

In what way would letting the R rate skyrocket and thus a return to greater restrictions within the largest economic centre of the country serve the best interests of a competent government right now? Leaving aside all the extra cases, hospital burdens and deaths aside, what you're suggesting is illogical nonsense.

The onus right now should be to limit overall contagion in the country's population by allowing the maximum sensible range for outdoor activities - because the urban population of Scotland is poorly served by immediately adjacent outdoor space. The more options that they have, the fewer of them will be in any given public space and so the government's beloved social distancing advice can be more easily adhered to. They cannot have it both ways here.

Maybe they should move house if the want to get out in the country more to partake in some outdoor activities. Pretty sure some tadger on here mentioned something similar about people should move to the city centre if they wanted to work there recently but i cant remember who it was.

A Ring of Steel around Glasgow with a Berlin style airlift by Amazon drones dropping supplies in from Dunfermline until the virus burns itself out would seem to be for the greater good. For the many not the weegies.

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

The news reports by the guy on BBC news.
Is he trying to scare people?
Down the dark dark corridor more death, and then death and death and morgues and more death.
Aye thanks for that.

No, I don't believe that he is.

Clive Myrie has delivered startling stark journalism that does him and his employers great credit.

"He's at work while blackbirds sing and London wakes".

Cleaning up the mess of injudicious handshakes.

A piece that lays bare the paucity of thought of those that hold sway in England today.

57 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Here did virginton not have a big spiel a while back in this thread about how selfish it was to be living in the Styx and commuting to work in cities and now he selfishly wants to go up Ben Lomond because he's bored of Kelvingrove?

If I wanted to enjoy scenic green space I would simply not have Glasgow as my place of residence.

Can't wait to head up the hills tomorrow emoji140.png

Well no because I don't actually live in Glasgow; the Clyde Riviera has got all the required amenities on its doorstep. Thanks for playing anyway champ. 

That doesn't change the fact though that the government's back of a fag packet travel advice is likely to lead to more infections in Scotland's largest population centres and therefore a significantly slower return to normal, which is a bad outcome for everyone.

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no because I don't actually live in Glasgow; the Clyde Riviera has got all the required amenities on its doorstep. Thanks for playing anyway champ. 

That doesn't change the fact though that the government's back of a fag packet travel advice is likely to lead to more infections in Scotland's largest population centres and therefore a significantly slower return to normal, which is a bad outcome for everyone.

Doesn't Scotland's largest population centers already have the highest levels of infection? Asking people to stay in their local area is clear guidance. It would be a real worry if the country could only follow laws rather than sensible advice.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not me in the highlands champ.

I sympathise but failures in your region to show a requisite degree of self discipline will impinge upon me not a jot.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/28/boris-johnson-sacrifices-top-scientific-advisers-on-altar-of-classic-dom

Yesterday I wrote that the best way to understand the state the country is in was to consider it a banana republic. I’d meant it as a joke, but at the Downing Street press conference , Boris Johnson went out of his way to prove me right. The UK’s very own dictator might not have much of a reputation left to protect, but Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance most certainly did.

Yet to save what now passes for his career, Boris went out of his way to trash the reputations of both the chief medical officer and the chief scientific adviser. Just as unbelievably, a plainly terrified Whitty and Vallance just stood there and took it. If either had a smidgeon of self worth, both would have walked out once the questions began.

It seems that many people have been making simple category errors with Boris. They have assumed that Dominic Cummings’s understudy has an intelligence and morality to compromise. That’s why more than 70% of the country had said that Johnson should do the right thing and sack his special adviser for breaking the guidelines and undermining the government’s public health message.

Yet the evidence all points to something more disturbing. That beyond an ability to recite the odd Latin phrase, Boris is actually quite dim. Worse still he is totally amoral. So the very idea of him doing the right thing is a complete non-starter.

Right from the start of the briefing, Boris set out to gaslight the entire nation. Things were great. Improving rapidly. So he was now in a position to re-announce some easing of the lockdown measures that he had already announced during the previous week.

Sure it might be a bit of a risk, as the track and trace programme wouldn’t be properly up and running properly till the end of June. But hey! The weather was nice and everyone deserved a break. And he really appreciated the sacrifices that everyone had been making so that Dom and his family could take a well-earned day out to Barnard Castle.

Even Whitty and Vallance appeared slightly taken aback by Johnson’s bullish optimism. Matt Hancock might have found it hysterically funny that the UK now had the worst death rate in the world during an interview with Kay Burley on Sky, but they both thought the situation was basically a bit shit and that we were a long way behind most other European countries.

It was when the questions started coming in that Boris went full psycho failed state. Given this was the first time that the CMO and CSA for England had been allowed out in public since Cummings’ moonlight flit to Durham had come to public notice, most journalists were keen to know if Whitty and Vallance endorsed Classic Dom’s course of action during the end of March and the first two weeks of April. But before either had a chance to speak, Boris effectively silenced them. They wouldn’t be commenting on this, he said, before preventing Laura Kuenssberg from asking a follow-up question by muting her.

Almost every other journalist had similar questions. And each time Boris either ignored them or just repeated that Whitty and Vallance couldn’t get involved in political issues. It’s possible that both men had only agreed to stand alongside the Great Dictator on the proviso they were allowed to say nothing. If so that was a huge mistake on their part, because reputations that had taken decades to build were shredded in a matter of minutes.

The whole point was that the scientific and the political have become entwined, not least because Laughing Boy had chosen to make it so. And the questions the scientists were being asked were matters of scientific judgement. Would they recommend doing what Classic Dom had done? Was that the public health message they wanted to put out to the country? Yet under a lot of pressure from Boris – you can add bullying to his character defects – they both played dumb. Better to have refused to prop up Boris than to have been used as mugs.

Whitty and Vallance weren’t even allowed to answer a basic question of whether they would recommend a 50-mile round trip with your child in the back of the car as a good way of checking if your eyesight was fit to drive. That was about as straightforward a scientific yes or no question as you could get. But still they didn’t dare say a word.

Other pressers have been tetchy and opaque, but this one had been a new low. Boris hadn’t demeaned himself because there’s nothing left to demean. But he had demeaned his CMO and CSA and he had demeaned the UK by treating its citizens with total contempt. In saving Dom, he has ruined what was left of his credibility. And all across the country, Tory MPs and Tory voters were beginning to ask themselves one simple question. Ever get the feeling you’ve been had?

Ironic that golf and bowls are being allowed as statistically they are two of the most dangerous sports in terms of fatalities

Spoiler

Because of older folk having heart attacks on golf courses and bowling greens

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

That would go against the trends seen elsewhere, though, including places which go a lot further and allow cafés, restaurants and bars to open. Based on the data available there is really no reason to expect infections to rise in Greater Glasgow if people go to the parks.

What would be unwise, however, would be to not dissuade people from a highly impacted area to travel freely across the country, and potentially take the virus with them to areas which appear to have been less exposed to the virus to date. Similarly, you wouldn't want to encourage those people to travel in to relatively highly infected areas and potentially take it home.

Introducing the virus to a population which is, metaphorically, "fresh meat" is much more likely to cause infections to rise.

It's a similar conundrum the likes of New Zealand will face should the fabled vaccine not show up in the near future.

Edited by Todd_is_God

22 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

And all across the country, Tory MPs and Tory voters were beginning to ask themselves one simple question. Ever get the feeling you’ve been had?

Which would be a ridiculous question. Had by what? BJ pretty much promised to "Get Brexit done" and nothing else.

He's delivered them that.

Any and all deficiencies in his character etc aren't really a surprise.

Anyone who voted Conservative and is now annoyed by their vote really only have themselves to blame.

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Scoop: According to my source inside St Andrew's House

The Coronavirus response programmeis now called 

Test And Protect

Because

Test Trace Isolate Support

was being referred to as "tits" 

So TTIS was?