Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Every time new guidance comes out there are two reactions that do my head in.

1. I live 5.6 miles from my golf course so what am I supposed to do?

2. Everyone else apart from me will take the pish so what's the point?

If only I lived 5.6 miles away. As I said, I’m 7.5 miles. I just don’t know what to do. Seriously though, ‘don’t be a dick’ is sound advice. 😀

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Correct. Nobody's going to fine you if you're not taking the pish, like checking your eyesight.

Agree. A wee bit of common sense, screw the nut... etc. Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Or they could just state a much more credible limit of say 50 miles and actually enforce it.

How would you do that? Special Constables setting up checkpoints? The whole thing depends on the majority taking on the advice by consent, there's no way of policing it beyond token arrests of Government advisers.

You won't like this particularly but it's great news for this tartan frog.

Edouard Philippe presented  the phase 2 of the containment exit plan this Thursday May 28 and confirmed  restaurants, bars and cafés are to reopen "in all departments starting June 2" but with "temporary restrictions" in orange areas that is to say Paris and Ile-de-France. In these areas,  sole café, bar and restaurants terraces are allowed to reopen. This measure will be set for at least three weeks.

I'll be pished in the local cafe next Tuesday... then I'll be heading to the hotel bar.

I sincerely hope you all get out to play soon.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
32 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
I turned down sex tomorrow night for the good of the country. Where's my medal?

Was it not you being turned down?

No, he's right. :(

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How would you do that? Special Constables setting up checkpoints? The whole thing depends on the majority taking on the advice by consent, there's no way of policing it beyond token arrests of Government advisers.

Italy has banned travel between its regions for months. In the UK context you conduct far more patrols on public transport and at obvious destinations as well as random spot checks on the road as well - with actual punishments for those breaching the rules. 

Your alternative solution of good old British common sense coming to the fore hasn't exactly had a roaring success in handling the outbreak so far. And it'll only get worse when city dwellers all start flocking to the closest amenities available to them from tomorrow based on the government's literal advice to them.

Edited by vikingTON

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

In what way will 'risk' and the infection rate be reduced by telling the huge number of people living in greater Glasgow for example that they should only visit to the city's parks and no spaces beyond that limit right before the nicest weekend of the year? Ditto Edinburgh and the likes of Portobello beach. 

The idea to advise against people from say Inverclyde travelling to Dumfries or Fife (or vice versa) to walk along the river / sea front seems sensible to me, for a few weeks anyway.

D&G has had 3 confirmed cases in the last 14 days, Fife 37 (with just 2 last week), Greater Glasgow 427. It makes sense to limit the exposure of those in the likes of D&G and Fife where symptomatic cases of the virus are practically non existant.

That it's to be the nicest weekend of the year so far is irrelevant tbh.

Edited by Todd_is_God

40 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I turned down sex tomorrow night for the good of the country. Where's my medal?

I take it she wasn't worth self-isolating for 2 weeks post-coitus?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

The idea to advise against people from say Inverclyde travelling to Dumfries (or vice versa) to walk along the river seems sensible to me for a few weeks.

D&G has had 3 confirmed cases in the last 14 days, Greater Glasgow 427. It makes sense to limit the exposure of those in the likes of D&G.

That it's to be the nicest weekend of the year so far is irrelevant tbh.

So you're claiming that it makes more sense from a public health perspective to have the people of greater Glasgow pack into their parks like sardines rather than a risk a sole Border bumpkin catching it instead? Seems legit.

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

My house is 7.5 miles from my golf course. I better cancel my tee time and stay home.

Aye, right ye’ are.

Just say that's where your child care facilities are.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

So you're claiming that it makes more sense from a public health perspective to have the people of greater Glasgow pack into their parks like sardines rather than a risk a sole Border bumpkin catching it instead? Seems legit.

Well yes, frankly, it does.

If Greater Glasgow has a problem with the virus going forward, restrictions can be re-introduced there to slow it whilst letting the rest of the country function.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Well yes, frankly, it does.

If Greater Glasgow has a problem with the virus going forward, restrictions can be re-introduced there to slow it whilst letting the rest of the country function.

In what way would letting the R rate skyrocket and thus a return to greater restrictions within the largest economic centre of the country serve the best interests of a competent government right now? Leaving aside all the extra cases, hospital burdens and deaths aside, what you're suggesting is illogical nonsense.

The onus right now should be to limit overall contagion in the country's population by allowing the maximum sensible range for outdoor activities - because the urban population of Scotland is poorly served by immediately adjacent outdoor space. The more options that they have, the fewer of them will be in any given public space and so the government's beloved social distancing advice can be more easily adhered to. They cannot have it both ways here.

Edited by vikingTON