Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

It's a very tricky balance involving all you've mentioned and more.

We need the economy to tick along as close to normal as possible, otherwise we have shortages and desperate people losing incomes.

But we also need to limit the spread, so as not to overwhelm the nhs and instead try to balance out the problem.

No easy decisions. Read the advice carefully, and do what you think is necessary for your circumstances.

Oh don't worry, I'm WELL aware of that.

It's just the faux bullshit that annoys me.

Basically it's a case of Ok Boys, over the top, don't worry too much about that mustard gas as you're doing it for your country !!

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Do shops have the power to limit sales on products?

Surely it's in their interest to do so.

Sensible preparations, yes - but bulk buying needs to be stopped. My missus says she saw folk taking full trays of tinned goods this morning. Fucking full trays.

What's wrong with people?

Shops will be loving this, probably the best profits they've had in years.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Sensible preparations, yes - but bulk buying needs to be stopped. My missus says she saw folk taking full trays of tinned goods this morning. Fucking full trays.

I'm doing it sneakily, just a wee bit extra each time, don't want to look like a total c**t but I'm probably nearly as bad. Looking after my 94 yo mother, and my immune system is temporarily shot due to medical treatment, so I want to avoid needing to go out too much when or if it really takes off in Inverness.

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hopefully some c**t accidentally presses the nuke button and ends all of this.

Donald Trump to go full 'Dead Zone' if he contracts it, imo.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Guy in Tesco this morning said they couldn't stop bulk buying until they put up a sign saying customers could only buy 5 packs of toilet roll...🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Yes and they're already doing it.

There's a code put into the till software that stops you purchasing over a certain amount of a specified product.

It's the same software that's always used for Paracetamol, aspirin etc.

28 minutes ago, supermik said:

Son and his wife flew to Gran Canaria this morning. Not heard if they have made it there or not. Could be a waste of time if its true that all bars, restaurants, watersports etc have been asked to close 

If rather do nothing there than here.

Can confirm no toilet roll over here either. Fucking need it though, so I'll look like one of those dickheads later when I rock up somewhere to buy only that.

Also people buying masses of bottled water. And schnitzel bread crumbs?!!??

One knobber was buying 24 large cans of sweetcorn. Total ring piece.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes and they're already doing it.

There's a code put into the till software that stops you purchasing over a certain amount of a specified product.

It's the same software that's always used for Paracetamol, aspirin etc.

And for things like whisky on special offer. It would be easy to control if they wanted, although headlines like SOAP RATIONING! might just create more panic.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, Kneal Down Caster said:

How come China has went full peak and a return to semi normality but the Uk are expecting a peak in June, 3 months away 🤷‍♂️

Because they went total lock down, tracing everyone who had contact, testing people at airports etc etc ie took it very seriously rather than assuming everything would be all right simply because they're Chinese. Most of this before they had a similar amount of cases that most western countries are seeing right now. 

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Because they went total lock down, tracing everyone who had contact, testing people at airports etc etc ie took it very seriously rather than assuming everything would be all right simply because they're Chinese. 

But the experts are now saying that, when China lift their lock down, things will just kick off again.

3 minutes ago, The DA said:

But the experts are now saying that, when China lift their lock down, things will just kick off again.

Yeah but they'll be in a position to treat and deal with those people because their hospitals aren't overflowing, and contain a second spread based on their experience with the first. 

The concern isn't so much that people catch the disease and die - that's a given, it's that people who don't need to die do die because resources are completely overwhelmed so they cant be treated. 

Edited by madwullie

4 minutes ago, The DA said:

The ones I've heard are saying they don't know, bit like developing herd immunity they have no way of knowing how this particular virus will play out. Britain is playing a risky game by abandoning containment as a strategy imo, but it's all guesswork based on the best data and modelling.

15 minutes ago, Kneal Down Caster said:

How come China has went full peak and a return to semi normality but the Uk are expecting a peak in June, 3 months away 🤷‍♂️

China contained it, even though it had spread widely in Hubei province. We have decided we can't contain it. China did that by putting the whole country on lockdown. Even people hundreds of miles away from Hubei were pretty much restricted to their apartments, and most schools across the whole country still haven't gone back. They had vast numbers of people tracking cases and enforcing isolation.