Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've seen so many comments on Facebook and Twitter saying "thoughts and prayers" for the recovery of those infected etc. 
How do religious folk justify these situations? If their god is in control of everything, why would he create a disease like this and why would he let innocent people suffer and die? 

20200312_083840.jpeg

As infectious as this clearly is, I think the death rate is massively overstated.
There will be many people with mild symptoms everywhere who did not get tested, have since recovered, and will be none the wiser.
Here in the UK we are now actively not testing people with mild symptoms so any figures coming out of here will be wildly inaccurate.
They've factored that in.

This has had a lot of hype so folk are not likely to be ignoring the symptoms.

WHO woman on the radio this morning was casting doubt on the UK's strategy of abandoning containment, ie tracking down, testing and isolating carriers, in favour of accepting the inevitable, allowing it to go through the population and developing herd immunity. She was saying there is no evidence as yet if people will be immune from the virus after recovering from it, so it's a huge gamble.

21 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

selfish,yes,but not stupid-its not like these things are perishable,theyll get round to using them eventually

Well they are stupid because the less hand cleaner there are for households to use during an epidemic like this where hygiene is imperative then the higher the risk of spreading the virus is. If a family of 4 can’t get access to one tub of hand cleaner and they are all at risk of spreading the virus around the place because  the family of 4 that live next door to them bought the last remaining 20 tubs despite 18 of them being stored in the shed gathering dust then the family who have stocked up really aren’t doing themselves any favours are they?

Guest JTS98

No signs of any toilet roll panic in Kuala Lumpur as far as I've seen. However, like most people in SEA, my apartment is blessed with a bum gun so I'll be able to get by without anyway.

Also handy for fending off burglars.

Weird feeling in Madrid. Everywhere totally dead this morning, only supermarkets and pharmacies open. 

People being relatively sensible, only the beer aisle was totally depleted at my local supermarket this morning. 

Got told yesterday to work from home from Monday until the foreseeable. They reckon it could be 2-3 months before we come back to the office.
I'm going to go round the bend after a month I reckon. [emoji23]

Yeah I’m the same been told not to expect to be back in the office until the end of May.

Madness packing up the desk yesterday with screens etc and setting up a home office this morning.

Surreal feeling but I’m basically socially distancing myself now, might as well.

40 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Got told yesterday to work from home from Monday until the foreseeable. They reckon it could be 2-3 months before we come back to the office.

I'm going to go round the bend after a month I reckon. 😂

My work haven’t expressly told us to work from home but they’re not fussed if we do. I like working from home on a Tuesday and a Thursday as it breaks up the week. Working from home for more than a couple of days will cause me to go nuts. Unless I just ‘work from home’ and watch box sets and go a few walks.

17 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Weird feeling in Madrid. Everywhere totally dead this morning, only supermarkets and pharmacies open. 

People being relatively sensible, only the beer aisle was totally depleted at my local supermarket this morning. 

Similarly in Home Bargains at Wester Hailes yesterday, the only panic buying in evidence was cans of T.

Guest Moomintroll
Depends what the money is being spent on.  
Admin/senior management doesn’t help. 

Front line is what is needed.
That is the issue with the NHS, billions being wasted on Management non jobs that exist solely to hinder front line staff from doing their fucking jobs. The whole thing needs ripping up and starting again with the focus being on people who actually provide care to their patients.

Back in 2009 there were 1.4 billion swine flu infections and 575,000 deaths

There were 61 million infections in the US and 12,500 deaths

Yet no one really remembers swine flu and there was no panic back then

Compared with swine flu, the current situation is a gross over reaction

Unfortunately it’s going to wreck the worldwide economy 

Guest Moomintroll
Will be raging if the local shops run out of Manuka 5+ honey, Greek yoghurt and Chia seeds. 
^^^ Shandon Par alias found.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

How are Tom Hanks and Mikel Arteta doing now? That’s what I want to know.

Suspect your post is laced with some sarcasm, but anyway, Mikel Arteta is seemingly "feeling better already".

A positive note in a sea of negativity.

(Positive in the sense that here's someone who's had it and feeling better inside a couple of days. I couldn't care less about his position as manager of an EPL club)

Edited by Steven W

Just now, Steven W said:

Suspect your post is laced with some sarcasm, but anyway, Mikel Arteta is seemingly "feeling better already".

A positive note in a sea of negativity.

No, not totally anyway. I do wonder how these celebrity ‘guinea pigs’ are doing. I’m interested in general in what percentage of people will get really sick with pneumonia and need to be hospitalised and what percentage will just get it mild and recover quickly.